: Can the 2010/2011 Side Mirrors with Side Vehicle Warning be retrofitted to an 08

ducman
10-26-10, 01:55 AM
I don't know what the feature is specifically called but when we were given a 2010 loaner with the blind spot car warning on the side view mirrors, I thought that was a cool feature we would like on our 2008 EXT. Is it possible to retro the mirrors?

CadX6
10-26-10, 08:26 PM
The mirrors are only a small part of the Side Blind Zone Alert (SBZA) system. There are sensors located in the left & right corners of the rear bumper, associated wiring, & a "brain" somewhere. If you subscribe to the "anything's possible" theory, it might be feasible to retrofit. But, I have a sneaking hunch you're looking at a major project.

ducman
10-26-10, 09:52 PM
I figured it couldn't have been as easy as swapping out the just the mirror assemblies. I didn't notice the extra sensors for the SBZA, but I will now keep my eye out to see what it looks like.

CadX6
10-27-10, 01:12 PM
Unlike the Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist (URPA) system, the sensors for the side blind zone alert system are not visible on the outside of the bumper.
Since the SBZA works by use of RF (radio frequency) they can be hidden behind the non metallic covering of the rear bumper. The URPA uses ultrasonic (sound) & has to be completely unobstructed behind the sensors.