: Cars in the 70's..... question....

Night Wolf
09-17-04, 01:12 AM
When I first got my '79 DeVille, none of the doors lined up correctly, they would close nice, but it was as if they weren't closed all the way...

... me and my father adjusted them, so that when they are closed, the panels line up nice and everything, but now, the doors have to be slammed to close all the way....

My father said it is becuase the quality of cars in the '70's was just really bad.... personally I hate having to slam the doors... especially on a Cadillac... is there anything that can be done, or do I have to live with it? If we move the door stub thingy (forgot it's name) out, the doors will close easy.... but it woudln't line up...any help?

Ralph
09-17-04, 01:20 AM
I noticed that happens with some of our old 1970's vehicles, (only after many miles and usually the driver's door) but I would say it is the hinges getting worn and the doors tend to sag a bit and not line up nice when closed. I don't buy the quality arguement because my Dad's 1979 lower mileage Nova and 1978 Chev truck don't have this problem.

Night Wolf
09-17-04, 01:52 AM
well, the car has 85,700 miles, was owned by an old couple, and was kept in FL.

None of the doors sag either... even my mothers '89 Brougham with somewhere around 165k miles, the doors close nice and easy... same goes with my '89 Olds with 123k....

Ralph
09-17-04, 01:59 AM
well, the car has 85,700 miles, was owned by an old couple, and was kept in FL.

None of the doors sag either... even my mothers '89 Brougham with somewhere around 165k miles, the doors close nice and easy... same goes with my '89 Olds with 123k....

It sounds like a "give and take" issue because now they have to be slammed to shut? Sounds like they are a bit off alignment after you and you Dad adjusted them? Can you live with it? Re-adjust? Was it just the hinge bolts involved in the re-adjustment?

barge master
09-17-04, 09:10 AM
It is true, a lot of 70s cars were lousy on the fit and finish. My 76 Delta has never been wrecked as far as I can see, but the alignment of the front fenders to the doors is not as nice as I'd like it to be. The U.S. automakers were just treading water in those days. They still had a lot of the old tried and true designs, but they were losing out to imports on mileage and just slapping the cars together. They are the greatest junks I ever loved though, to this very day.

DopeStar 156
09-17-04, 01:34 PM
I test drove a '79 Coupe, two toned tan and brown, and I found myself slamming the doors everytime. The latches I hear stiffen on them or they begin to sag. That's what my mechanic told me when I brought it in for a check up before I bought. The list on it was so long I brought it right back to the car lot and offered $500, but was turned down.

luddyludwick
09-17-04, 01:42 PM
I kinda can relate...

This is a completely different platform than your car, but the '78 Biarritz I was looking at seemed to have a similar problem with the doors. Sure, they needed to be greased, but I'm talking like they just seemed to sag at the hinges. No surprise, though, when you consider that the old Eldos weighed in at 5000+ lbs...and those long, heavy doors felt like they were about half of that!

This may be strange, but I feel the fit and finish (especially the "thunk" when the doors close) on my '85 is high-quality, but I've driven Caprices and other GM full-sizes of the time that didn't feel quite as tight. The interiors on all of them are a little plasticky, though.

Bruce

DopeStar 156
09-17-04, 04:10 PM
This may be strange, but I feel the fit and finish (especially the "thunk" when the doors close) on my '85 is high-quality, but I've driven Caprices and other GM full-sizes of the time that didn't feel quite as tight. The interiors on all of them are a little plasticky, though.
I know what you mean perfectly. The doors on my 89 close perfectly with a pleasant sound as they close. It seems like it was a problem in the 70's but they went ahead and fixed it in the 80's.

davesdeville
09-18-04, 02:46 AM
The fit wasn't great to begin with, add 30 years to that and this is what you get.

cadillacdeville
09-18-04, 03:12 AM
I don't know if this will help but my 77 deville doors had to be shut hard to close all the way and I started looking into it but couldn't figure out why then I noticed the striker bolts on the back had a ruber ring around them but the front ones didn't so this might seem tacky but I put a bunch of electrical tape around the stiker and after getting the thickness right they close very nicly and line up good to

majax
09-18-04, 03:19 AM
Maybe also the frams are not as Solid as in the 80's(prob not true) but if they were not all that weight shifting around on the corners and stuff could throw things off. I can't remeber my dads '77 so I cant really say much else.

barge master
09-18-04, 12:48 PM
One time I had an old 70s Caprice and one door would not open at all. What I ended up doing was rolling the window down and spraying the latch mechanism inside the door, against the jamb. It freed up the rust and then it opened. Since then I've done that to all my old cars and it makes the operation and feel of the doors a lot better. When I gutted my 80 I took a sprayer and hosed the insides of the doors with drain oil. Getting all the latches and tracks soaked made everything work like new.