Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Nav/radio ipod hook-up help

9K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  06 STS Rob 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have another question, and this forum is very helpful. So I want to hook-up my Ipod and or android evo to my radio. Its not very common, but i can find the composite cable with the 3.5 mm jack hook up. When i hook this up, will it display the song and artist? and will it play and vidoes or movies through this opion as well. Or any ideas or tips on how to incorperate my phone or ipod for better overall experience. Thanks again

#6 ·
ok...so basically i can only hook-up my ipod (red and white composite) since i dont have the model with the usb, and get the music, but no vidio or song/artist display on the monitor(head unit)..and once again thanks for your guys(and gals if thats the case) info.

#11 ·
hey RIPPY PARTs....... i still cant get an awnser on this --- how do you hook up an ipod directly to the stock radio--- NO NAVIGATION....... it does have XM so isnt there an interface some where i can tap in with a cable? i dont car about info just want direct audio ....( fm transmitter sucks) please adivise.... thank you ! Rob......

#16 ·
my question on this topic is this, will just a lock pick work if you have the RCA connections in the arm rest so you can see song title and artist? also, would you be able to control the ipod through the radio with the lock pick with this same set up? or do i need something else?

#17 ·
A Lockpick enables viewing the analog video (yellow RCA jack when Nav Aux input selected) with the car in motion. I am not aware of any integration add-in that provides control of an iPod from the radio knobs or Nav screen while in Aux input mode.

I'd have to get a better explaination of how it works to be interested in buying it.

#19 ·
If you want to control your ipod/iphone from the stereo, use the uPac-STS. If you want to view videos from ipod/iphone on stock nav screen "in-motion", you will need the lockpick.

However, if you have RCA connections in the storage bin under the armrest, then just get an apple composite cable or equivalent, and go from there. The apple composite cable breaks from a dock connector into yellow (video), red and white (audio) RCA connectors and a usb cable for charging. I use a 2.1amp (for ipad charging) ultra-slim usb charger in the storage bin to charge my iphone through the composite cable while it plays music over the auxiliary RCA ports. Also, if you want to take this route, be sure to get a ground-loop isolator between the RCA connectors of the composite cable and the RCA inputs in the storage bin. This will get rid of the annoying hissing background noise that comes up when you're trying to play music from a CHARGING ipod/iphone.

If you have the RCA connectors in the storage bin under the armrest, it is highly likely that you have the nav unit (I might be wrong), and consequently bluetooth. If you're using an iPhone 3G or later with this setup, simply switch to aux (Audio/Video In) to play music from your iphone, and subsequently to bluetooth, and leave it at that. If you want to play a particular playlist, songs by an artist, or simply dial out, press and hold the home button on the iphone to bring up the voice control. If your phone is connected to the bluetooth system in the car, the voice prompt will be heard over the mono speaker, and the built-in mic in the car will pick up your command (so you don't have to speak into your phone). Say "Play artist Linkin Park", "Play playlist Hybrid Theory", or "Call Jessica Alba". Voice dialing like this using your iphone's phonebook will essentially negate usage of the phonebook feature in the nav system, and you won't have to stop the car to dial using the keypad on the screen (nav or iphone screen). Enjoy.

#21 ·
The one problem I foresee with integrated units is with compatibility once you upgrade your device. I had installed a similar unit several years back in my 2000 ford focus, and sadly it was not compatible with anything that came after the iphone 2g. This may not even be a problem to the rest of you guys though.

In terms of cost, the uPAC-sts will run around 100 bucks (yes?), and my current setup cost me 20 bucks for a non-apple composite cable, 15 bucks for the ground loop isolator, and 10 bucks for the 2.1amp usb charger. For under 50 bucks, I can get video and audio on my stock nav screen from both my charging iphone and ipad (probably won't need video out from ipad to nav screen). The quality is great.

If you do not have a nav unit in your car, your only option will be to get the uPAC-sts. Good luck.

#22 ·
I just checked the uPac-STS thats def for folks without Nav .. so yes I want to control my iPod/iPhone3G via my radio controls .. and connect it via the RCA storage under my armrest but you listed so many different things that I have no idea of or how to install. I thought it was a simple red, white yellow cable connected and then one to power for usb.

#23 ·
Oops sorry. Well first of all, if you connect the ipod/iphone through RCA, you won't be able to control it with your radio controls. You can only use volume controls on your radio. However, you can still control your ipod/iphone manually to select for music. Also if you have a compatible iphone, you can use voice control over BT to navigate through your music or make calls.

The parts I used for my RCA hook-up:
Apple composite cable (http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Apple-..._Accessories&hash=item4aa759fffc#ht_500wt_951)
Radioshack ground loop isolator (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214)
Kensington slim 2.1amp usb charger (http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Sh...-_-New-_-WN64&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11219497)

You can cable tie the wires neatly into the storage bin, and have a dock connector hanging out. Just plug the dock connector into your iphone/ipod for musical nirvana (oh and press play).

#25 ·
SBA300 - Is this theory or have you done it? I've been on the forum for over two years and never read of anyone able to access a bluetooth phone's voice recognition features.

I have my iTouch connected via a uPAC-STS. I don't think it has bluetooth. I have friends with iPhones, though. If I could get video integration, I might go that route.

Anyone ever get an iPhone to work with no screech?

#26 · (Edited)
I use the voice control feature on my iphone over the nav's BT connection everyday. It works like a charm, atleast on my iphone 4. And no screech when using the iphone 4 either. The catch is to press and hold the home button on the iphone to activate the voice control feature. Then the voice prompt comes over the mono speaker in the car, and the commands can be issued over the bluetooth mic in the car. Think of the nav's BT feature as one big bluetooth headset... iphone voice control works with most bluetooth headsets.

Also, I believe you will be able to play videos from your ipod touch on the nav screen using the apple composite cable I linked. You won't need to get an iPhone just for the video.

#28 ·
Echas3,

Check out this article: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iPod-Touch-Bluetooth,news-3642.html.

Alas the iphone/ipod only has one dock connector, so you will not be able to plug in both the upac-sts dock cable and the composite cable. I think I didn't make a few things clear. Using the composite video from the iphone does not allow for control of the device from the nav headunit. It merely lets you view your movies/pictures on the nav screen and if you have a jailbroken device, screen mirroring. All control of the iphone/ipod will have to be done on the device itself, not the headunit.

With the upac-sts, you will get limited control of the iphone through the headunit (e.g. next song, previous song, playlist selection , etc.). I've been told that you can view the song/artist information on the nav screen too. However, you cannot use your touchscreen to open, for instance, the Youtube app on your ipod touch. That kind of integration is not here yet.

#29 ·
Thanks for the link. I had understood the limitations to be as you describe. The 'news' is that I could control the iTouch via voice command should I choose to do so. I'll hunt up cable and play with it sometime.

In all honesty, I don't use the iTouch much. When I do, I start it up and just listen. XM is my usual source; CD's & DVD's next. The iPod hookup is handy for trips with friends, too.

#30 · (Edited)
I understand. But consider this, if you do end up getting an iphone, download your entire collection to your iphone, and essentially play all your CD/DVD music like I described through the iphone. For instance, say I have 3 CDs - Meteora, Hybrid Theory, and Reanimation. I will burn these CDs into iTunes and sync the songs in their corresponding playlists (one playlist per CD) into my iPhone. Then in the STS, I simply hook up my iPhone, select aux-in as my source, switch to BT, and control my iphone using voice control. When I am driving, I will simply press and hold the iphone's home button. I will hear 2 beeps over the car's mono speaker, following which, I will say "play playlist Meteora", and the iphone (over the BT system) responds with 2 additional beeps and a female voice that says "playing playlist Meteora", and the playlist starts. Oh by the way, this voice recognition is far superior to the nav's. It's pretty good about picking up the commands correctly.

Also, with an iPhone, get the free PANDORA app and enjoy satellite radio quality music without paying for an XM subscription. If you're like me and prefer to listen to talk shows, just download podcasts and listen to them on-the-go in your car. I have the latest versions of anderson cooper 360, npr talk of the nation, and bbc global news on my iphone at all times. Also, there's apps that you can download to pretty much listen to any international radio station that broadcasts over the internet as well. Most of the better ones do. Enjoy.

#31 ·
re: pandora -- for xmas i asked santa to buy my a pandora one subscription (and he did... that jolly old fella!)

i can definitely tell the difference between the audio quality as i've been listening to the free pandora for a couple years now through my stereo
... it isn't a ton better but it is definitely noticeable (plus no ads w/ pandora one)

and for $36/year it's a really good deal (imho)

#32 ·
Also if you use the Pandora app on an iPhone, you have the option to choose "Higher quality audio" under the settings menu in-app. The quality is significantly better this way. Yes, it will probably put more drain on your battery, and will require better 3G reception. If your iphone is plugged in and charging in your car, it's all good. As far as reception goes, I can get decent streaming with even 1 bar here in the bay area. Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.