: Illuminated Door Sill - Warranty Item??

cazzara02
10-25-10, 05:06 PM
I noticed today that the illuminated door sill on the drivers side had a crack in it (3000 miles)

I was told this is a warranty item. Can someone confirm?

sube5186
10-25-10, 05:58 PM
I noticed today that the illuminated door sill on the drivers side had a crack in it (3000 miles)

I was told this is a warranty item. Can someone confirm?

The 4 year/50,000 mile warranty is "bumper to bumper". It covers all defective parts. The only thing that's not covered is intentional/negligent damage and routine wear of certain parts.

http://www.cadillac.com/pages/mds/owners/warranty.do

Sube

ewill3rd
10-25-10, 08:01 PM
If it is a factory defect, it is covered.
If you dropped a crock pot on it, or went after it with an axe, then no.
;)

PJ1520
10-26-10, 10:26 AM
Sube........are the ravages of grandchildren wearing soccer cleats considered deliberate intentional/negligent damage?:hmm:

sube5186
10-26-10, 01:15 PM
Sube........are the ravages of grandchildren wearing soccer cleats considered deliberate intentional/negligent damage?:hmm:

LOL. You may be out of luck with that one. Maybe that's why the illiminated door sills are only in the front. Stick the grand kids in the rear and breath a little easier. I think I would invoke the "don't ask, don't tell" policy on that one. :devilheh:

Sube

ewill3rd
10-26-10, 01:28 PM
Unless the grandchildren are factory equipment you might be out of luck.
:(

stevec5375
10-26-10, 04:46 PM
LOL. You may be out of luck with that one. Maybe that's why the illiminated door sills are only in the front. Stick the grand kids in the rear and breath a little easier. I think I would invoke the "don't ask, don't tell" policy on that one. :devilheh:

Sube

That's called "living in denial" for those who have to hear it. And, lying for those who must do it.

PJ1520
10-26-10, 05:17 PM
If I turned you loose to inspect my SRX, you would know in a flash where my grandchild sits. The center row door sill looks like where the entire Mutual of Omaha antelope herd made their way into the vehicle. I have a bottle of leather cleaner, 90% of which has been used to clean the passenger side front seatback (footprints). That is the window that you can't see out of from the fingerprints. And then there is the evidence of food and drinks and the lost toys on the seats and the carpeting.

I tried whining to my wife about it all but received no sympathy. Just a ...... "Go clean it up!"

stevec5375
10-26-10, 05:30 PM
If I turned you loose to inspect my SRX, you would know in a flash where my grandchild sits. The center row door sill looks like where the entire Mutual of Omaha antelope herd made their way into the vehicle. I have a bottle of leather cleaner, 90% of which has been used to clean the passenger side front seatback (footprints). That is the window that you can't see out of from the fingerprints. And then there is the evidence of food and drinks and the lost toys on the seats and the carpeting.

I tried whining to my wife about it all but received no sympathy. Just a ...... "Go clean it up!"

LOL!! I won't even let my housebroken Pomeranian and mini Dachshund in the car unless they're crated. You people with young children simply amaze me! I'm glad someone is willing to do it. We need more up and coming tax payers to keep us afloat.

sube5186
10-26-10, 05:32 PM

Sounds like you should be using "your" kid's car to drive around the grand kids. :D :)

The center row door sill looks like where the entire Mutual of Omaha antelope herd made their way into the vehicle.

LOL. You just dated yourself with that one. Some of these young'uns have no idea what you're talking about.

Sube

PJ1520
10-26-10, 05:44 PM
That's a great idea. He's got a ML Benz SUV. Looks beautiful on the outside but the inside looks like someone who has lost all of their garbage cans has been living in there with the expectation that one day all of the trash and debris might be worth something. And whatever goes into his car never seems to make it back out.

My FIL to this day allows NO ONE to eat or drink anything in his car. When my wife was a kid he established an executive "no food or drink" order after he found melted jelly beans in his back seat. Sure enough, on a subsequent vacation my MIL gave my wife some candy. He grabbed the bag of candy out of her hand and tossed it right out the window with no commentary required.

sube5186
10-26-10, 05:54 PM
My FIL to this day allows NO ONE to eat or drink anything in his car. When my wife was a kid he established an executive "no food or drink" order after he found melted jelly beans in his back seat. Sure enough, on a subsequent vacation my MIL gave my wife some candy. He grabbed the bag of candy out of her hand and tossed it right out the window with no commentary required.

Your FIL is my kind of guy. :yup:

Sube

PJ1520
10-26-10, 07:03 PM
Sounds like you should be using "your" kid's car to drive around the grand kids. :D :)

LOL. You just dated yourself with that one. Some of these young'uns have no idea what you're talking about.

Sube

The show Wild Kingdom, sponsored by Mutual of Omaha, has been on TV for over 40 years and is still running on Animal Planet.

Heaven forbid the thought that everything we possibly need to know in this world can't be found reading a zillion mindless Facebook entries while at the same time we are texting our friend standing three feet away about everything we have thought, felt, said, eaten, or done today.

And if I mention reading a book, does that date me too? Hope so, and proud of it!!!! Somehow I can't picture myself reading Tolstoy's War and Peace on my iphone, or watching a movie. ;)

stevec5375
10-26-10, 07:35 PM
Let me date myself. LOL!!

I was about 27 years old when IBM delivered in armored cars 3 prototypes of the original IBM PC to our accounting software startup company. This was many months before the actual release date. The machines were state of the art at the time and wowed us all. We said, "OMG! Who will ever use a megabyte of RAM?". Can you believe that statement? Now 1GB seems silly.

sube5186
10-26-10, 09:12 PM
The show Wild Kingdom, sponsored by Mutual of Omaha, has been on TV for over 40 years and is still running on Animal Planet.

Wow! I honestly didn't know the show was still on. I just remembered watching it as a kid. By the way, I feel the same way about Facebook.

Sube

TheCaptain
10-27-10, 12:36 AM
Hold on, i just gotta update my status as to how old and cool you guys are.

Just kidding! Except i really mean it about the cool part. I'm glad to be part of this community! :D (That's a me being serious, too eh!)

PJ1520
10-27-10, 10:16 AM
OOOOPPPPSSSS!!!! See below. PJ

PJ1520
10-27-10, 10:18 AM
LOL!! I won't even let my housebroken Pomeranian and mini Dachshund in the car unless they're crated. You people with young children simply amaze me! I'm glad someone is willing to do it. We need more up and coming tax payers to keep us afloat.

We always crate our dogs in the SRX. As descendents from wolves, dogs have it in their genes to be den dwellers; and the crates serve as the dogs' private dens and safe haven.

The use of a crate is a safe way to transport them.....safe for the dog, safe for the driver and passengers, and safe for everyone alse out on or near the road. The driver can give her/his full attention to driving.

A crate is more relaxing for the dogs as they usually lie down and go to sleep. They don't get car sick......from looking out the window with the scenery flashing by. A crate is good for those folks whose dogs are reactive to whatever is outside the vehicle because when their outward view is limited they settle down. A dog will not mess in their crate unless something is seriously amiss, like a failure to let them "evacuate" fully before a drive, or an upset stomach from eating something bad.

Consequently, the inside of my SRX remains clean and fresh (smelling) with little routine cleaning required, at least where the dog rides. For most, the latter is important because they come to realize they can take their dog anywhere with them without creating a cleanup project or damaging the interior of the car.

Face it. There are a lot of us in two income households where the dog is left alone for several hours a day. Dogs, like wolves, are pack animals and by nature get what they need emotionally from the pack. A family is their pack. For those who never take their dogs in a car except to the vet once or twice a year, who feel dogs should spend their time in the solitary confinement of the home rather than sometimes out and about with the family, you are entitled to your opinion. I don't share it.

I regularly train my dogs with countless folks who, at the end of their rope, finally show up in dog training class with a neurotic, half-crazed, out of control, unpredictable, unbalanced, and far too often reactive/aggressive (towards humans, other dogs, their owner, or all of the above). I've been there myself and have chosen to never go there again. After seeing the results of training for the real world and spending more time including the dogs in our lefestyle, my and my family's life, and that of my dogs, is far more peaceful, rewarding, and safe.

With all of this in mind, I suggested to my wife that we likewise crate the grandchildren in the SRX to take advantage of all of the benefits we have observed with doing so with the dogs. I lost the vote, 1-1. ;)

stevec5375
10-27-10, 10:35 AM
We always crate our dogs in the SRX. As descendents from wolves, dogs have it in their genes to be den dwellers; and the crates serve as the dogs' private dens and safe haven.

The use of a crate is a safe way to transport them.....safe for the dog, safe for the driver and passengers, and safe for everyone alse out on or near the road. The driver can give her/his full attention to driving.

A crate is more relaxing for the dogs as they usually lie down and go to sleep. They don't get car sick......from looking out the window with the scenery flashing by. A crate is good for those folks whose dogs are reactive to whatever is outside the vehicle because when their outward view is limited they settle down. A dog will not mess in their crate unless something is seriously amiss, like a failure to let them "evacuate" fully before a drive, or an upset stomach from eating something bad.

Consequently, the inside of my SRX remains clean and fresh (smelling) with little routine cleaning required, at least where the dog rides. For most, the latter is important because they come to realize they can take their dog anywhere with them without creating a cleanup project or damaging the interior of the car.

Face it. There are a lot of us in two income households where the dog is left alone for several hours a day. Dogs, like wolves, are pack animals and by nature get what they need emotionally from the pack. A family is their pack. For those who never take their dogs in a car except to the vet once or twice a year, who feel dogs should spend their time in the solitary confinement of the home rather than sometimes out and about with the family, you are entitled to your opinion. I don't share it.

I regularly train my dogs with countless folks who, at the end of their rope, finally show up in dog training class with a neurotic, half-crazed, out of control, unpredictable, unbalanced, and far too often reactive/aggressive (towards humans, other dogs, their owner, or all of the above). I've been there myself and have chosen to never go there again. After seeing the results of training for the real world and spending more time including the dogs in our lefestyle, my and my family's life, and that of my dogs, is far more peaceful, rewarding, and safe.

With all of this in mind, I suggested to my wife that we likewise crate the grandchildren in the SRX to take advantage of all of the benefits we have observed with doing so with the dogs. I lost the vote, 1-1. ;)

PJ, Great post and advice about dogs. I have had dogs for years and can't imagine life without them. I agree about training them. I have always done that and think it makes a BIG difference. My dogs love all people they come in contact with and are pretty well mannered. I suppose they are my surrogate children.

Too bad you lost the bed on crating the grandkids. :tongue2:

cz9h3d
11-01-10, 10:11 AM
Okay - back on topic - of course it's covered by warranty!