: window tint effect the gps?

LazyPaddyB
10-25-10, 12:04 PM
I would like to tint my windows a bit. I read in the manual not to do this because it could effect my NAV/GPS. Is this true? And if indeed i CAN tint the window, what is the darkest i can go before I do effect this gps. I have a 06 sts. Thanks!

Subsailor613
10-25-10, 01:24 PM
OK, Some GPS's are affected by Metallic Window tint, I believe most today,
are NOT metallic, and therefore NOT affected by tinting.
Anyone, Please jump in here, if I am wrong ! GPS is running on Electro-Magnetic
waves, or radio waves, and therefore will NOT be affected by tinting.
I have tinting, and So do a LOT of members here.
The old Mirror type tinting, I believe is what they are talking about.
Have fun....:cool2:
The darkest you can go is regulated by State Law, and is different in
every State. You can check that on line @

http://www.autowindowtinting.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.display&pageID=5

rzambrano
10-25-10, 05:45 PM
I would like to tint my windows a bit. I read in the manual not to do this because it could effect my NAV/GPS. Is this true? And if indeed i CAN tint the window, what is the darkest i can go before I do effect this gps. I have a 06 sts. Thanks!

Hey, I just got my windows tinted this past weekend. 20% all around, in CA which I know isn't legal (drumroll for the tickets please). As far as it affecting the GPS, this same weekend I took a trip to Long Beach to visit the Queen Mary. The GPS was not affected in any way, except that my disc version is outdated. No problems whatsoever here.

turnerbend
10-25-10, 06:58 PM
05 STS have been tinted for the duration. No problems.

RippyPartsDept
10-25-10, 07:15 PM
gps antenna location is almost always (if not strictly always) in the center of the dash, so the window that the signal goes through would be the windshield
i would assume that as long as you don't tint your windshield with a metallic tint then you'd be okay (and isn't tinting the windshield illegal almost everywhere anyways?)

cooncat
10-25-10, 07:28 PM
My car windows are tinted with a pretty dark tint and I see no affect on the factory GPS system.

LazyPaddyB
10-25-10, 08:41 PM
ok...thanks everyone for your help!

550HP STSV
11-03-10, 01:42 PM
Tinted my windshield, and the car frequently has some difficulty getting signal. Makes me glad we have a gyroscope and it uses inputs from the VSS to calculate navigation when signal is not available :thumbsup:

jedhead
11-03-10, 03:04 PM
I made sure the tint I used would not interfere with the GPS, Sat radio or my cell. I have a non-metallic tint.

Bob

TobyJohnson11
11-04-10, 11:48 PM
I have 10% all the way around and have no problems with the GPS. I did not tint the front windshield, so I can not comment on that part of it.