: What should a flagship Cadillac commercial be like?

Lord Cadillac
10-25-10, 12:41 PM
Should it be like the Rock 'n Roll "Break Through" commercials with Led Zeppelin or something more Classical?

Stingroo
10-25-10, 12:57 PM
I hated the Break Through commercials. They were terrible.

I liked the "When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?" line. I thought that was clever. Other flagships don't even seem to HAVE commercials anymore.

drewsdeville
10-25-10, 01:30 PM
Maybe they figure their cars on the road are advertisement enough, which for some of them it seems like that could be true. Well styled cars on the road advertise for the manufacturer way better than any slogan or song.

A good product will advertise itself, especially when it's the flagship. I don't know about you guys, but ads and commercials don't sway me to buy anything I wasn't interested in in the first place. I buy what I want. I develop the preferences that I make my decisions with through actual experiences.

Because of this, I generally don't believe in the arguments that poor advertising is to blame for product failure. Everyone wants a good product for their dollar, and they will find you if you are offering that...the reason flagships really don't have commercials. If a flagship is really doing it's job, there should be no need to brainwash them into walking into the dealership.

hueterm
10-25-10, 01:45 PM
I'm with 'Roo...I don't think there should be a specific commercial for a flagship model. They should incorporate it into something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjBQvspM3f0&p=0C03C56EB1F3578C&playnext=1&index=7

gdwriter
10-25-10, 01:56 PM
I was pretty impressed by this commercial for the CTS-V, which is for all intents and purposes, Cadillac's current flagship:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cadillac#p/u/15/5YcVhlE5DMY

I love that Cadillac has resurrected the Standard of the World, and while it doesn't yet apply to its full line up, the CTS-V certainly qualifies.

I also loved this commercial for the new 2010 models (dammit, Mike beat me to the post, but I think the version I have has better resolution :nyanya:):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Bf4mz1PO8

Highly dramatic with superb visuals, especially the overhead view where the dust trail looks like rocket exhaust.

hueterm
10-25-10, 02:01 PM
I also liked the V ads where they were shot out of a tunnel like it was a gun barrel...can't find it on Youtube though...

gdwriter
10-25-10, 02:09 PM
I liked the Break Through campaign. I thought it did a good job of relaunching Cadillac as a more contemporary brand. And these two spots (the first one was the launch ad from the Super Bowl) did a nice job of playing on Cadillac's heritage:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TopolewskiFanClub#p/u/12/Q0PiINfDxP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSaKc_FiwNg

I think that commercial was shot on the Apache Trail east of Phoenix. The road looks familiar, and it's a stone's throw from the former GM Proving Grounds.

BTW Sal, there's a bug in the code somewhere. Usually, with a YouTube video, you simply copy and paste the URL, and the forum puts in the proper code. But when I post two videos, the first one is just a straight URL and only the second one is automatically coded. I've had to go back and manually code the first video for it play correctly.

drewsdeville
10-25-10, 02:14 PM
BTW Sal, there's a bug in the code somewhere. Usually, with a YouTube video, you simply copy and paste the URL, and the forum puts in the proper code. But when I post two videos, the first one is just a straight URL and only the second one is automatically coded. I've had to go back and manually code the first video for it play correctly.

+1 on this.

Stingroo
10-25-10, 02:16 PM
Maybe they figure their cars on the road are advertisement enough, which for some of them it seems like that could be true. Well styled cars on the road advertise for the manufacturer way better than any slogan or song.

A good product will advertise itself, especially when it's the flagship. I don't know about you guys, but ads and commercials don't sway me to buy anything I wasn't interested in in the first place. I buy what I want. I develop the preferences that I make my decisions with through actual experiences.

Because of this, I generally don't believe in the arguments that poor advertising is to blame for product failure. Everyone wants a good product for their dollar, and they will find you if you are offering that...the reason flagships really don't have commercials. If a flagship is really doing it's job, there should be no need to brainwash them into walking into the dealership.

:yup: I agree completely. I don't give a crap about commercials, to me they're just annoying usually. I like the commercials that make me laugh, or have songs that I enjoy. That's about it. Beyond that, I couldn't care less. I don't go to the store and say "I've seen X on TV before, it must be good! I should purchase some of X" I don't think anyone does.

OffThaHorseCEO
10-25-10, 02:30 PM

i agree with you 100% when it comes to cars and MY purchases. However this doesnt hold true for EVERYTHING. For example, the Dreamcast IMO failed because of poor advertising. noone knew it existed and those who did couldnt tell you much about it. On the flipside everyone was being bombarded with playstation commercials and even though the dreamcast was technically superior, the playstation was more hyped. more hyped translated to more sales more sales translated to more developers, which translated to more games which translated to more licensing money which translated to more units being produced and MORE commercials and MORE games which tranlsated to more users...

I knew the dreamcast was superior, I WANTED a dreacast so i bought one. it was all good and well until everyone stopped making games for it.

this wouldnt apply to a car since most manufacturers keep plenty of parts on hand even for their failure cars. I actually enjoy not seeing my car at every other intersection.

gdwriter
10-25-10, 03:11 PM
As someone who has been making a living in the marketing and advertising business for 22 years, let me say that advertising does have a function in creating awareness of and preference for brands and products, particularly new ones. It's not the only way to promote and sell products, but it's a vital part of the marketing mix. Even high visibility products like cars need advertising if the manufacturer wants people to know more about their cars than just what they look like.

Here's a question asked in the first week of the advertising class I teach, followed by a comment I add when grading most students' answers:

If a firm developed a new line of athletic shoes, priced them competitively, and distributed them in appropriate retail shops, would there be any need for advertising? Is advertising really needed for a good product that is priced right?

Advertising serves to both inform consumers about brands and products and persuade them to buy one product over another. You can’t be persuaded to buy a product if you don’t know anything about it, so advertising is necessary to get the word out, and in this case, to highlight its more attractive price. And when you’re introducing a product against well-established brands, you need advertising to 1) get people to notice you and 2) give them reasons why—such as a lower price—they should buy your brand instead of Nike or another brand.

Stingroo
10-25-10, 03:28 PM
That's also true, but most car commercials I see hardly highlight how their prices are lower than their competitors. Some do, but not many.

gdwriter
10-25-10, 03:35 PM
Although it's not for a car, here' an example of a very effective ad that introduces a new product in a memorable way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5s1QNfXGn4

I saw this for the first time while watching football yesterday, and it sucked me in like a Hoover. Great example of capturing attention, keeping your interest with the visuals (love the expressions on the baby's face — and I'm not one of those people who normally likes babies in commercials — plus the reflection on the tanker truck). And while I'm not in the market for for a new printer, it's a cool feature HP has developed.

The Tony Show
10-25-10, 03:41 PM
You almost never see an actual commercial for a flagship, whether it's the 7 series, S Class or A8. Advertising focuses on the affordable cars, and when those have a sterling reputation then the high end buyers start looking at your flagship.

As I've said here countless times- flagship cars make very little profit for luxury marques, and only make up a fraction of their sales. Also, Cadillac isn't ready for a real flagship yet. Maybe in 4 or 5 years, but not yet. No one buys a $90,000+ car because of a commercial, but rather because the manufacturer's mass market models are appealing. Once you win over tens of thousands of buyers with a CTS, ATS and SRX, then you can pop out a $90,000 car that the tiny market of upper crust flagship buyers will take seriously.

gdwriter
10-25-10, 03:41 PM
That's also true, but most car commercials I see hardly highlight how their prices are lower than their competitors. Some do, but not many.No, but they'll highlight other features — like gas mileage ratings, engines, thinks like Ford's Synch or GM's OnStar — that you wouldn't know about just by seeing a car on the road.

Lord Cadillac
10-25-10, 04:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkZDetA3vf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugDuYTbzz_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8XzuNqDch4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2-V9aJy158

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAmuyV3JvPA

Lord Cadillac
10-25-10, 04:19 PM
I just posted five links and they all show up as videos. I'm not sure what the problem is if it's not working for anyone else..

I agree but I don't think a Cadillac flagship will need to be $90k or more just yet. Start at $70k and you'll sell a few cars.. Those cars rolling on the street should be enough advertising. Then again, having something on television isn't a bad idea either. I'd just rather not see a "Rock 'n Roll" flagship commercial. I'd prefer to see something more classy. But I'm not asking what I want to see - I want to know what everyone else wants to see. :)

Things are looking good for the flagship coming before the end of the decade - but that's a long time from now and a lot can change before then.

You almost never see an actual commercial for a flagship, whether it's the 7 series, S Class or A8. Advertising focuses on the affordable cars, and when those have a sterling reputation then the high end buyers start looking at your flagship.

As I've said here countless times- flagship cars make very little profit for luxury marques, and only make up a fraction of their sales. Also, Cadillac isn't ready for a real flagship yet. Maybe in 4 or 5 years, but not yet. No one buys a $90,000+ car because of a commercial, but rather because the manufacturer's mass market models are appealing. Once you win over tens of thousands of buyers with a CTS, ATS and SRX, then you can pop out a $90,000 car that the tiny market of upper crust flagship buyers will take seriously.

gdwriter
10-25-10, 04:53 PM
Speaking of Audi, here is one of my all time favorite commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GW7pzo7WBM

Incredible visuals and soundtrack that crescendo into the big payoff with the car at the end. Absolutely stunning.

Stingroo
10-25-10, 05:11 PM
I like that commercial a lot. I remember that.

gdwriter
10-25-10, 05:19 PM
Here's my take on the commercials Sal posted:

Lexus put me to sleep. Audi and Jaguar were the typical "showcase our beautiful car" ads, and while the cars are beautiful, there's no real creativity to those spots. I'm normally a fan of testimonial advertising because I think hearing from owners is credible, but from a creative standpoint, the Mercedes S-Class commercial was boring. Beyond the pretty pictures of the cars themselves in the Audi and Jaguar spots, they could be for any car. The creative approach on all three doesn't measure up to these cars' flagship status. The Equus spot reminded me of the Inifiniti launch ads back in 1990s, but to Hyundai's credit, at least they showed the car at the end.

True, having always liked Cadillacs, I have some natural bias toward their ads (the good ones anyway). The Re-Ignition spot is far more creative and visually interesting than those other ads, but then so is the one for the Audi A4 with the transformed living room (which also does as nice a job showcasing the car's beauty as the A8 and XJ spots). The CTS-V ad is effective because it showcases the car's world-class performance capabilities.

ryannel2003
10-25-10, 05:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaZpHSnjprI

I think they should bring back Cadillac Style... what a catchy and memorable tune. 80's revival FTW...

But in all seriousness, I have never seen a commercial for a BMW 7-Series or Mercedes S-Class. Most automotive brands focus on the core cars that make the profit, cars like CTS, SRX, Escalade, etc. If Cadillac should come out with a proper flagship, they would need to make a commercial that shows off a beautiful exterior, excellent interior design, and a powerful motor. No point in showing off what a value this car is vs. the competition... that's not the point of a flagship.

Stingroo
10-25-10, 05:49 PM
Lulz. White people doing white people things. - Cadillac style.

That commercial made me LOL with its cheeziness.

drewsdeville
10-25-10, 06:09 PM
As someone who has been making a living in the marketing and advertising business for 22 years, let me say that advertising does have a function in creating awareness of and preference for brands and products, particularly new ones. It's not the only way to promote and sell products, but it's a vital part of the marketing mix. Even high visibility products like cars need advertising if the manufacturer wants people to know more about their cars than just what they look like.

Here's a question asked in the first week of the advertising class I teach, followed by a comment I add when grading most students' answers:

If a firm developed a new line of athletic shoes, priced them competitively, and distributed them in appropriate retail shops, would there be any need for advertising? Is advertising really needed for a good product that is priced right?

Advertising serves to both inform consumers about brands and products and persuade them to buy one product over another. You can’t be persuaded to buy a product if you don’t know anything about it, so advertising is necessary to get the word out, and in this case, to highlight its more attractive price. And when you’re introducing a product against well-established brands, you need advertising to 1) get people to notice you and 2) give them reasons why—such as a lower price—they should buy your brand instead of Nike or another brand.

This is true, and is why there are similar comments in this thread about mainstream (profitable) car commercials.

But this is about advertising the flagship, as indicated by the title. These cars are only going to be purchased by those who can afford them, period.

Nike's most expensive pair of shoes are within reach of millions. A BMW 7 series? Not so much.

With flagship vehicles being low volume/low profit, I really don't see why manufacturers should spend resources advertising them. That is exactly the tier of product that advertises itself. The people who will spend that kind of money on a car care enough that they are already doing their research. A commercial on TV isn't going to increase the amount of people that can afford or care about a BMW 7 series.

On a related note, I can't think of ANY market where the expensive flagship product is advertised. It's always the high volume, high profit product that gets the attention.

The point of spending money on advertising is to make money, period. If you want to maximize profits, you advertise the product that's going to make you the most money...the high volume product that's going to put cash in your hand and spread your name like wildfire.

Jesda
10-25-10, 07:11 PM
Break Through is the most memorable car ad campaign of the (so far, very brief) century. It served its purpose by forcing the public to take notice of Cadillac's new direction. But thats now in the past.

They certainly cant promote a new flagship the way they promote a CTS-V, whipping around a wet parking lot while club music plays.

There has to be some subtlety and mystery, but not too much (remember Infiniti's rocks and streams from 1989? That's too much).

orconn
10-25-10, 08:33 PM
Lulz. White people doing white people things. - Cadillac style.

That commercial made me LOL with its cheeziness.

Sting, if you were to atttend an event where "white people things" were going on you might be surprised to see only about 50% of the people enjoying the activities were "white people." The other fifty percent of the people their would be Asian, Latino, African and Arabs who also enjoy these sports .... and can afford to enjoy polo, show jumping, sailing and othe yachting sports. Members of this demographic, whether new or old money, are the ones that can afford a "Flagship" luxury car when new.

Jesda
10-25-10, 08:58 PM
Sting, if you were to atttend an event where "white people things" were going on you might be surprised to see only about 50% of the people enjoying the activities were "white people." The other fifty percent of the people their would be Asian, Latino, African and Arabs who also enjoy these sports .... and can afford to enjoy polo, show jumping, sailing and othe yachting sports. Members of this demographic, whether new or old money, are the ones that can afford a "Flagship" luxury car when new.

They're still "white people things" though. :P Those activities are primarily western european traditions. Amusingly, the only blacks and asians routinely seen at the local country clubs around here are myself and family. I know my folks arent the only members -- they're just the only ones I see. :D

My favorite site:
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/
:)

As for Cadillac, the only reason it didn't go under in 1930 was because GM explicitly went after newly successful black Americans. Those customers saved the company.

hueterm
10-25-10, 09:01 PM
They certainly cant promote a new flagship the way they promote a CTS-V, whipping around a wet parking lot while club music plays.

"Lovesick"...so hot...

And I'm sorry, but anyone of sentient age who watched TV in the late '80s would still remember "Cadillac Style"....it was definitely a classic. Cheesy now, maybe -- but entirely memorable...

orconn
10-25-10, 10:02 PM
They're still "white people things" though. :P Those activities are primarily western european traditions. Amusingly, the only blacks and asians routinely seen at the local country clubs around here are myself and family. I know my folks arent the only members -- they're just the only ones I see. :D

My favorite site:
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/
:)

As for Cadillac, the only reason it didn't go under in 1930 was because GM explicitly went after newly successful black Americans. Those customers saved the company.

Not surprising! The entrepreneurial Italians helped too! As did the more enterprising Irish! Hell, eevn the police in Chicago drove Cadillacs in the thirties!

Lord Cadillac
10-25-10, 11:08 PM
I love the commercial but it's certainly not "progress" when you go from a Mercedes S550 to an Audi A F'ing 4...

Speaking of Audi, here is one of my all time favorite commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GW7pzo7WBM

Incredible visuals and soundtrack that crescendo into the big payoff with the car at the end. Absolutely stunning.

Jesda
10-25-10, 11:17 PM
I've lost so much respect for Daimler over the last 10-12 years that I'd rather drive an A4.

Lord Cadillac
10-25-10, 11:21 PM
And I'm sure you're not the only one - but I bet people that feel the way you do are far - very far - and few in between...

I've lost so much respect for Daimler over the last 10-12 years that I'd rather drive an A4.

Jesda
10-25-10, 11:29 PM
And I'm sure you're not the only one - but I bet people that feel the way you do are far - very far - and few in between...

No man, there's thousands of us. We have meets every year.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/budmanm3/4ngiefest%2008/19.jpg
:cool:

Lord Cadillac
10-25-10, 11:44 PM
I have little doubt that if most people were being honest and they were being given a car of their choice - between the A4 and S550, very few people would take the A4. Then again, who cares? This is merely what I believe. In the big picture, it's meaningless.

Jesda
10-25-10, 11:44 PM
Most would pick the S550, but who cares? Most people pick the Camry. The S-class nose is in that ad because it looks most like a traditional MB. For the 2 seconds that you can see it, it isn't enough to make it clear to the public what model it is.

Cadillac shouldn't be chasing the tails of MB or Audi. They should carve out a distinct identity, like they already have so far.

gdwriter
10-25-10, 11:46 PM
I thought it was a C-Class. But I'm not well-versed on current Benzes.

ryannel2003
10-26-10, 12:30 AM
That car in the commercial looks like a C300 Luxury.

billc83
10-26-10, 12:44 AM
Cadillac didn't go down during the Great Depression because GM infusined it with cash. It was a symbolic payback because Cadillac had helped a cash-strapped GM during its infancy.

Yes, going after the African-American demographic helped bolster sales. Allegedly it all began when heavyweight champion Joe Louis was treated poorly at a Cadillac dealership and had to send a white friend to purchase his car for him.

The Great Depression really thinned out the herd of luxury carmakers. Duesenberg, Marmon, Pierce-Arrow, Peerless and others didn't make it to 1940. The only luxury makes that did were either backed by a powerful corporate structure (Cadillac, Lincoln) or began dipping into the entry-level market (Packard).

DopeStar 156
10-26-10, 01:30 AM
Still my favorite. It worked, I bought one......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SE4YfmlckE

Aron9000
10-26-10, 05:24 AM
I really like that Equus commerical, very original and cool visual effects. Still think hyundai is doing themselves a horrible disservice by marketing it under the hyundai brand and Equus is a horrible name(reminds me of the weird play)

And Dopestar, how long have you had that Allante? Glad to see you here, haven't seen you post much recently.

Jesda
10-26-10, 05:27 AM
Oh nice, an early Allante with Recaro seats

Lord Cadillac
10-26-10, 12:59 PM
I really like that Equus commerical, very original and cool visual effects. Still think hyundai is doing themselves a horrible disservice by marketing it under the hyundai brand and Equus is a horrible name(reminds me of the weird play)

The next "Equus" will likely be called the Genesis Prestige...

Most would pick the S550, but who cares? Most people pick the Camry. The S-class nose is in that ad because it looks most like a traditional MB. For the 2 seconds that you can see it, it isn't enough to make it clear to the public what model it is.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "Most people pick the Camry". In any event, I registered the domain name www.whatwouldyouratherdrive.com - it might turn out interesting...

Jesda
10-26-10, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by, "Most people pick the Camry".

People are dull and predictable. Audi's advertising theme attempts to counter that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3zSL-OyJEw

gdwriter
10-26-10, 02:24 PM
^^^Damn, that's an impressive commercial!

Stingroo
10-26-10, 04:49 PM
That's a GREAT commercial.

Lord Cadillac
10-26-10, 05:31 PM
Awesome.. :)

People are dull and predictable. Audi's advertising theme attempts to counter that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3zSL-OyJEw

DopeStar 156
10-27-10, 12:14 PM

And Dopestar, how long have you had that Allante? Glad to see you here, haven't seen you post much recently.

About a month, it's a work in progress. Doesn't drive right yet but I'm working on it. As for me, I've been haunting around the place lately....

RippyPartsDept
10-27-10, 12:58 PM
i actually read through your allante thread the other day ... pretty cool