: The 84-88 Toyota Pickup and 4Runner . . ..

Aron9000
10-25-10, 05:16 AM
Anybody else unhealthy obsessed with this body style????

Dad had two of these growing up, both 2wd. A light blue 2wd reg cab/short box with the SR5 stripes, chrome trim, chrome bumpers, carpet, 22R carbed, 5 speed, power steering and brakes, COLD A/C, seats that did not lean back, not much else. He bought it used back in 1999 with 75k miles. I drove this for a while when I was 17, still wish he didn't sell it. Body had ZERO rust, ran great, just a fantastic little truck. Sold it with 175k miles to a family friend, has around 250k on it now and is still going strong. Looks sharp as well, since our friend had the whole thing repainted after a minor collision.

His first one was a 1985 tan paint/brown interior extra cab, vinyl floors, manual steering, 5 speed, 22R carbed, not much else type of truck. Sold that one back in 1997 I think. He bought it new in 1985, sold it in 1997 with 225k on it, ran great with cold a/c. First automobile I had ever driven at age 13, I could barely see over the dash. That son of a bitch is still running around on that guy's farm that he sold it to, kind of worse for wear, but its still running.

Needless to say this particular generation of Toyota truck holds a strong sentimental value. I just really love the straight lines, flared fenders, and durable nature of these trucks.

I'm currently looking for a NICE example of this body style. Options I want are NO RUST, straight body, good running, 4wd, 5 speed and air conditioning. I'd maybe consider a 2wd truck if its nicely optioned and really, really, clean.

Looking at this truck in particular, extra cool points since its a 1985 solid axle truck with fuel injection and the SR5 package:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180578311128&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

NOTE: Any truck I buy would be a regular driver along with the Cadillac. It has to be a practical roadworthy vehicle that I can put 10k miles on a year without any fuss.

Jesda
10-25-10, 05:21 AM
So awesome

22r :worship:

Playdrv4me
10-25-10, 05:43 AM
This is heavy...

http://onscreencars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/back_to_the_future_toyota_truck_1.jpg

Aron9000
10-25-10, 06:15 AM
This is heavy...

http://onscreencars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/back_to_the_future_toyota_truck_1.jpg

Yeah, you don't know the full extent of my Back to the Future obsession . . . .

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-25-10, 07:38 AM
I loved that one that Marty had in BTTF. That was one sexy looking truck from 1985.

ga_etc
10-25-10, 06:13 PM
My grandfather had an '87. Regular cab, 5 speed, 4x4, non-SR5, can't remember if it was FI or not. It looked very similar to the one in BTTF. Great truck, but had a tendency to eat clutches every year and a half or so. He had it for 5 years or so before he died. Never had to do anything to it, but feed it a clutch from time to time. Wouldn't mind having one myself if prices on them weren't crazy.

Playdrv4me
10-26-10, 04:08 AM
Yeah, you don't know the full extent of my Back to the Future obsession . . . .

AMC is re-releasing it around the country. There was a showing tonight that I missed :(

Aron9000
10-29-10, 02:27 AM
Well I test drove a 1986 Chevy Silverado, 2wd, 350, short box, every option you could get on it, two tone, black with silver accents. Newer paint, just a beautiful truck. And it felt so DAMN RIGHTEOUS!!!

Kind of like driving my Cadillac with a bed on the back of it. Rode smooth, acres of space, comfy seat, column shifted automatic, good throttle response, didn't rattle, quiet, great sounding motor/exhaust, steering was nice, numb, and easy like the Caddy.

I really don't think I can do a small Toyota truck after driving that thing. They wanted a bit too much $$$ for the thing though, even though it drove really tight and nice. Looked like a cheapo paint job/sloppy body work. Well worth the $5500 if the body/paint was flawless and the shady dealership could prove that it had "only 27,000" miles on its 5 digit odometer.

Going to look at this 1987 tommorrow:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/2020814205.html

Not so sure about the white paint, kind of looks like a contractor truck. Definetly not as showy as that black/silver one I drove, but then again it would be nice to have a vehicle that actually blends in with traffic, my last 3 cars have been pretty "obnoxious".

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-29-10, 07:38 AM
Good luck! Those 1973-87's are awesome, awesome trucks.

hueterm
10-30-10, 09:45 AM
Aren't those the side saddle fuel tank trucks that GM got sued over?

Rolex
10-30-10, 06:21 PM
Those old 85-86 Chevy short bed trucks are awesome old trucks (says the old SEArk country boy).

Aron9000
10-30-10, 07:18 PM
No go on the white one. Didn't have cat converters, need those to pass emissons around here. Just had those cut off and dual exhaust ran out the back. Had a nice interior minus dash cracks, but I wasn't crazy about the blue color. Drove nice and tight, but man that 305 was DOG SLOW. I thought it might feel about like my Brougham in terms of power, I could put bus lengths on that truck racing it with the Caddy, and the Caddy is a dog too IMO.

I probably would've bought it if the paint were nice though. Zero rust, but the paint was starting to bubble and fall off. Said he had it repainted about 6 years ago, cheapo job I guess.

I'd really like a 88-94ish Chevy, but the dash design is just retarded.

Aron9000
11-03-10, 04:10 AM
Well I ran a carfax on that two tone black and silver "1986" model C10. Carfax says its a 1985 model that has "only 27,000" miles on it, and judging by the lack of wear on the interior, they might be on to something. I noticed the turn signal lever, that typical "all in one" GM thing, was not worn and had all the white lettering paint on it. Other than a crack in the dash, the interior is in showroom condition. Even the AM/FM radio sounded great.

I had another look at it yesterday, crawled under it and looked around real good. Man that thing was clean on the underside, ZERO rust, still had the cat converter and all the emissons bs so I should pass with no problems. Looked all original under there, stock shocks, stock front end parts, only a dual outlet muffler with two tips going out the back. Its a pretty truck, but the maintenance has been neglected, dirty oil and coolant. Not a real big deal since I noticed its not leaking ANYTHING and runs good.

Going to do a very thorough test drive and offer the dealer $4000 for it. I'll haggle up to $4500 for it, but that is it, considering the neglected maintenance and chipping paint on the hood. I really wouldn't have a problem paying their $5500 if this thing were pristine, but its not. Its just really nice considering its 25 years old.

ga_etc
11-03-10, 01:13 PM
Good luck! Keep us posted and provide pics. :D

Rolex
11-03-10, 04:54 PM
+1 I'd love to see pics of the truck. The cracked dash is a pretty common thing in those year models because the sun bakes the hell out of the plastic. It sounds like a great truck. If there's any way to have it checked for sludge you may want to to that before you buy.

Aron9000
11-10-10, 03:16 AM
Thinking about this beast here . . .

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/2051546055.html

Love that its a manual tranny, when you get up there in years/miles/age with these trucks, the auto trannys tend to be suspect, especially if nobody ever changed the fluid.

If it runs good and looks as good in person as those pics, its a keeper. I really don't like the dash/gauges of these year trucks, but I think I can get over it if I'm not spending that much $$$$ on it. Going to have to measure the carport and the dually fenders, but it should fit with no problem. Might be tight with just 3-6" to spare though. Also has a fuel injected 454 big block chevy, sweet:cool2:

Playdrv4me
11-10-10, 05:23 AM

Love that its a manual tranny, when you get up there in years/miles/age with these trucks, the auto trannys tend to be suspect, especially if nobody ever changed the fluid.

If it runs good and looks as good in person as those pics, its a keeper. I really don't like the dash/gauges of these year trucks, but I think I can get over it if I'm not spending that much $$$$ on it. Going to have to measure the carport and the dually fenders, but it should fit with no problem. Might be tight with just 3-6" to spare though. Also has a fuel injected 454 big block chevy, sweet:cool2:

Weird, a gas dually. Don't see those that often but that one looks to be in good shape.

Aron9000
11-10-10, 09:05 PM
Weird, a gas dually. Don't see those that often but that one looks to be in good shape.

They were a lot more common back in the 80's/90's. Back then GM's diesel options were a joke, and the 454 made more power.

Stingroo
11-10-10, 09:23 PM
^ Yep. The 454 was standard, if I recall, and the diesel's were optional. Sweet truck.

V-Eight
11-10-10, 09:36 PM
Not the kind you were thinking of, but look at this failbag 4Runner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/MIKLOP/IMG00033-20100806-1526.jpg
A fartcan on a truck....wow...

Stingroo
11-10-10, 09:37 PM
Seriously? I just died a little inside...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-10-10, 10:32 PM
^ Yep. The 454 was standard, if I recall, and the diesel's were optional. Sweet truck.

The 350 was standard on the 3500s. Yes, that's right, you could get a dually with the 350. Actually, they were preferred in a regular cab configuration like this for a lot of heavy in-town hauling, as they were much more economical than the 454 and didn't cost as much as a diesel and for the sort of driving/hauling done in town, a big block wasn't really needed.

But yeah Ian, a lot of these GMT400 duallys were not diesel. The 6.2 was a complete dog (140hp, 245 lb/ft) and the 6.5 turbo wasn't a whole lot better. The 454 simply made so much more power it didn't make any sense to go with the diesel, unless you were extremely concerned about fuel mileage.

Looks like fun! That one appears to be the Scottsdale package, because it's got the cheaper looking cloth upholstery and manual windows/locks.

Stingroo
11-10-10, 10:43 PM
Really? I never knew they made 350 duallys. I have learned something else from CF.

Playdrv4me
11-11-10, 06:17 AM
My how times have changed. These days I could not possibly imagine buying an HD pickup from ANY manufacturer with anything BUT an oil burner. The combination of both power and fuel efficiency can not be touched by a gas engine anymore. The odd thing is that back then, diesels would turn up in the STRANGEST places... the Wikipedia page Austin found the other night shows a BMW Diesel was available in the Mark VII... Never had a clue.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-11-10, 06:54 AM
You could get that same BMW-sourced 2.4L I-6 diesel in the early Jeep Cherokees.