: aftermarket radio help!!

matt440rev
10-24-10, 08:50 PM
ok, so i just bought this 2000 escalade, and the previous owner swapped the factory radio out for a aftermarket jvc radio. problem is it has a 6disc changer (im assuming stock) that dont work now, and the onstar dont work now either. i really want the stock radio, but till i find one, is there a way to make the onstar work in a aftermarket radio?

thanks guys, this is for my pregenant girlfriend and snows coming, so i want her and my kids as safe as possible.

matt

TobyJohnson11
10-25-10, 01:57 AM
I think the quick answer is no. I replaced my factory radio and lost the 6-disc features. I still have onstar but its not activated. I don’t think onstar has anything to do with the radio so you might check to see if something is up with the onstar system. But I’m pretty sure you are without a 6-disc changer. Good Luck.

sk7
10-25-10, 06:46 AM
I'm pretty sure the older analog version of Onstar modules are not upgradeable to run anymore. Dealership can verify this with your VIN.

matt440rev
10-25-10, 09:17 AM
ahhhh crap! ok, i do remember hearing something about that. im not as worried about the 6disc as i was the onstar for the gf. i always thought it went thru the cars radio. ill swing by the dealer and check it all out.

thanks guys!

nathanjax
10-25-10, 10:25 AM
ahhhh crap! ok, i do remember hearing something about that. im not as worried about the 6disc as i was the onstar for the gf. i always thought it went thru the cars radio. ill swing by the dealer and check it all out.

thanks guys!

I know for my truck (04) the dealer would upgrade teh OnStar box for free to the digital box, but I had to pay for 1 year of OnStar up front...

might want to give the dealer a call...

CEPMAN
10-28-10, 08:46 PM
I had a 2000 - OnStar on those are analog and no longer supported. As far as the changer, you could always replace it with something else. Maybe a screen or switch panel or something like that.