: how to quiet the hardtop

FLBill
10-24-10, 02:48 PM
Hi

Any suggestions for a spray or something that will quiet the minor squeeks of the hard top on the car? I know Krytox is used but seems pricey. Anything else work well?

Bill

OffThaHorseCEO
10-24-10, 03:21 PM
ow this as well. im thinking about trying silicone but im afraid of the effects that will have on the soft top boot cover

wcoates
10-25-10, 03:16 PM
Mike $25 for a tube of Krytox that will last many years is cheap

David
10-29-10, 02:34 PM
Bill: Krytox is well worth the money; I've used it on my hardtop for the past 10 years (I just installed the hardtop this week); it works very well, and a I'm still using the tube I bought 10 years ago ($25 divided by 10= $2.50 a year).

David

caddyjack98
12-05-10, 12:22 AM
Perhaps a dumb question here...but what do you do with the Krytox? And how does it help quiet the hardtop?

cadmat
12-22-10, 10:48 AM
Perhaps a dumb question here...but what do you do with the Krytox? And how does it help quiet the hardtop?

you apply it to the weatherstrip, or where ever the squeak seems to come from.. I used it last year on my top, and all the squeaks stopped, I bought a tube of it a few years ago, and like the others still have most of it left,, yes, compared to a can of WD 40 it is expensive, but to do all the weatherstrip on my hard top and the windshield header took a tiny bit, so a little really does go a LONG way.

I applied it by spreading a tiny amount on my gloved finger and spreading it on the rubber parts.

I also had an annoying squeak in one of my other collector cars where the dash touched the door panel, a tiny invisible smear of Krytox and the squeak disappeared, and I have since cleaned that spot several times, still no squeak and they do still touch..

Great stuff.. and lasts and lasts.

MAtt

cadmat
12-22-10, 10:57 AM

you apply it to the weatherstrip, or where ever the squeak seems to come from.. I used it last year on my top, and all the squeaks stopped, I bought a tube of it a few years ago, and like the others still have most of it left,, yes, compared to a can of WD 40 it is expensive, but to do all the weatherstrip on my hard top and the windshield header took a tiny bit, so a little really does go a LONG way.

I applied it by spreading a tiny amount on my gloved finger and spreading it on the rubber parts.

I also had an annoying squeak in one of my other collector cars where the dash touched the door panel, a tiny invisible smear of Krytox and the squeak disappeared, and I have since cleaned that spot several times, still no squeak and they do still touch..

Great stuff.. and lasts and lasts.

MAtt

OffThaHorseCEO
01-05-11, 12:48 PM
i applied my krytox on christmas day. i wore a black rubber glove from a boxfull i bought at autozone. A little does go along way but perhaps not as long as some may make it seem.

I got the impression that krytox was very runny and messy just by the way people described it. it is not runny at all, it has the potential to be messy if youre not careful but its very easy

however it does make a HUGE difference. HUGE. before i applied the krytox, my top squeaked and groaned at every bump big enough to make part of the car higher than the rest. Parking lot entrance/exits, gas station entrance/exits, drive thru plates (the big slab of concrete that rings the bell inside to tell the people inside that someone needs to place an order), hills. Now, no squeaks. Makes my car "sound" much newer and more solid