: Sts 2010/11 vs bmw 5 series - anyone familiar with each?

SHOWGIRL
10-24-10, 10:52 AM
Hi - We have not yet tried the 2009 or 2010/11 STS. Told it's similar in size/class, to the 5-series BMW (there are so many choices within the 5-line also - very confusing !) but at the same time concerned about BMW recent recalls .
We did try the 5-series BMW...liked it - liked the pickup & 'heaviness' to the vehicle (...IE..didn't feel as if we were just about sitting on the road & hoping we will hear same about the STS feel of the road, etc. ) since we 'would' feel better getting the STS.
If anyone is familiar with both cars any input comparing 'ride/handling/responsiveness/steering/'feel' of the road/weight of both cars.
So, any ideas/feedback/opinions greatly apprecitaed ! :thumbsup:

EChas3
10-24-10, 02:09 PM
My boss just replaced his 533 with a new one. His old one had 360HP & 25 MPG with the same trans as my wife's 2007 STS. As a back passenger, hers is quieter and rides better. The same is true with mine but to a lesser degree.

I'm confident the BMW driver experience is superior but I haven't had the pleasure. I hate the I-Drive used to control all the features and like driving an American car. I haven't even ridden in his new one.

When I was shopping 2007-2008, I did test drive a BMW (can't recall model) but ACC was one of my requirements and I never found one in a BMW even close to my price range. AWD is nice here.

turnne
10-24-10, 03:39 PM
Completely different driving experience
BMW is MUCH more of a drivers car...so if you are all about sharp turns, stopping on a dime and tight steering...you have test driven the pinnacle of that already
If you can use a computer to send e-mail and browse the web without being challenged...then I drive will be a piece of cake for you
The first 7 series I drove with I drive took me 5 minutes to get the basic functions down

That being said...on the used car market the Cadillac will be MUCH less expensive to buy and insure
Maintenance and repairs will be slightly less as well on the Cadillac

If you want to drive a car that I would say in "in between" the two I would suggest you test drive an Infinti M

Warren

SHOWGIRL
10-24-10, 07:25 PM
My boss just replaced his 533 with a new one. His old one had 360HP & 25 MPG with the same trans as my wife's 2007 STS. As a back passenger, hers is quieter and rides better. The same is true with mine but to a lesser degree.

I'm confident the BMW driver experience is superior but I haven't had the pleasure. I hate the I-Drive used to control all the features and like driving an American car. I haven't even ridden in his new one.

When I was shopping 2007-2008, I did test drive a BMW (can't recall model) but ACC was one of my requirements and I never found one in a BMW even close to my price range. AWD is nice here.
------------------------
hello - sorry - don't know what 'ACC' means -
since i posted my question i found out that the new BMW's are not as heavy as the 2006 we tested ! Right now we're driving a CTS 2010 wagon and after leaving the 5-BMW yesterday's test drive & getting back into our CTS 2010 we felt a big difference between the two cars -ours feeling so much 'lighter' but now i see we weren't comparing apples with apples because i was just told this a.m. by the BMW dealer that the new ones are much lighter than what we tested and more like our CTS !!! So much for a heavy ride. Thank you for taking the time to write !!! SG

SHOWGIRL
10-24-10, 07:33 PM
Completely different driving experience
BMW is MUCH more of a drivers car...so if you are all about sharp turns, stopping on a dime and tight steering...you have test driven the pinnacle of that already
If you can use a computer to send e-mail and browse the web without being challenged...then I drive will be a piece of cake for you
The first 7 series I drove with I drive took me 5 minutes to get the basic functions down
That being said...on the used car market the Cadillac will be MUCH less expensive to buy and insure
Maintenance and repairs will be slightly less as well on the Cadillac
If you want to drive a car that I would say in "in between" the two I would suggest you test drive an Infinti M
Warren
----------------------------------------------------
Hi - thanks for the above - i would not be intimidated by "I" drive - my husband would ..he won't even use a computer ! i am very 'gadget' oriented so i'd be o.k. - LOL
But since i posted my question and 'after' you replied, i found out that the new BMW's are not as heavy as the 2006 we tested ! Right now we're driving a CTS 2010 wagon and after leaving the 5-BMW yesterday's test drive & getting back into our CTS 2010 we felt a big difference between the two cars -ours feeling so much 'lighter' but now i see we weren't comparing apples with apples because i was just told this a.m. by the BMW dealer that the new BMW's are much lighter than what we tested and more of the weight of our CTS !!! So much for a heavy riding BMW!!
only thing to do now is test the 2011 BMW to see if this is totally correct - LOL.
This CTS handles beautifully -akin to what you described above (tight turns, etc) - (3.6 ltr Performance, sports suspension).
If the STS is anything similar then we might like it and not have to pay BMW prices. So the next step is to drive the BMW/5 and the STS. (all the same year ! LOL) will see if there is an Infinity dealer also ...Thank you again for your help !!!! :)

EChas3
10-24-10, 08:54 PM
The CTS and STS are very different cars. The top trim level STS (1SG) does have a heavy feel that I like. It's not for everyone. I drive a sportscar for a sport experience. The STS and BMW 5-series are both aimed at the sport touring sedan market. I feel the CTS is too small.

My dislike of the I-Drive isn't that it's hard to figure out. (I've been in IT for 35 years; since it was known as data processing!) It takes the drivers eye's off the road; not just for a glance at a big screen but to focus on small letters on a recessed hard to see display. The knob can be used by feel but as a whole that system is over-engineered like many German systems.

ACC is Adaptive Cruise Control. It permits the driver to set a minimum following distance to the car ahead. It even works fine if the vehicle ahead is a slow moving scooter. Today's crowded roads often prohibit the use of legacy cruise control. ACC turns a drive in heavy traffic into a pleasure.

I would not say the STS is right for most people. It isn't. I love mine.

turnne
10-25-10, 08:50 PM
The CTS is actually within inches of both the 5 series and STS...as well as larger in a couple of dimensions as I recall

I do cite the reasons that I don't care for it...well there are a couple
1. It feels light...thin
It will definitely feel different than either a STS or a 5 series...in this regard it is actually more like a 3 series
2. Overpriced....seems at least 10K too expensive ( sticker wise) based on my driving one as a loaner for one week
I think the STS is/was overpriced as well...though the retail discounting and resale puts it in step with the market

I saw today in Automobile magazine that the 5 series you are looking at is considered the standard bearer( in every category) for cars of that class of that same time period

As I mentioned before...if you can send e-mail and surf the web you can use I drive
I never pulled my eyes of the road when I was driving that 7
Of course it doesn't beat a great voice activation system....and we all know how the quality of the STS voice activation is( vs the competition )

I agree that the STS is not for everybody....if you are a hardcore german "feel" driver and are willing to pay the premium..in short the STS will NOT satisfy you
The Americans have a come a long way...but there is still a gap if you truly want a drivers car

I agree with Echase on the ACC...its a beautiful thing. On other makes this was coupled with emergency braking systems that sensed an imminent frontal collision and would automatically tension the seat belts and brake the car

Warren

SHOWGIRL
10-27-10, 02:11 PM
Thanks for all the great information in your reply ...you have helped make the 'distinction' between the 3 cars something we can understand. :yup: