: TPMS Malfunction

TulsaVic
10-23-10, 01:57 PM
Just got back from a quick trip to Dallas, having left my car in the Tulsa airport covered parking. Started up the car and got the yellow low tire pressure warning light on the dash. No DIC info indicating which tire might be low. And the yellow dash light did not flash, which according to the owners manual would indicate a malfunction in the system. It stayed on steady. The tires did read a bit low (29psi rear) but not low enough to cause the system to activate. Got home, put in 34psi in front and 32psi in back. The light stayed on. Brought it to the dealer and they said they had to shut the system down and re-boot.

This is the third time this has happened after leaving my car at the airport. The owners manual says operating electronic devices or being near facilities using radio wave frequencies similar to the TPMS could cause the sensors to malfunction....but it also says the system must accept any interference received.

Anybody ever have something like this happen? And found a cure?

Superjim
10-23-10, 04:02 PM
Just got back from a quick trip to Dallas, having left my car in the Tulsa airport covered parking. Started up the car and got the yellow low tire pressure warning light on the dash. No DIC info indicating which tire might be low. And the yellow dash light did not flash, which according to the owners manual would indicate a malfunction in the system. It stayed on steady. The tires did read a bit low (29psi rear) but not low enough to cause the system to activate. Got home, put in 34psi in front and 32psi in back. The light stayed on. Brought it to the dealer and they said they had to shut the system down and re-boot.

This is the third time this has happened after leaving my car at the airport. The owners manual says operating electronic devices or being near facilities using radio wave frequencies similar to the TPMS could cause the sensors to malfunction....but it also says the system must accept any interference received.

Anybody ever have something like this happen? And found a cure?

I have never had that happen..but I have never left my car at an airport.
I drive everywhere I go.. :)

My right rear is showing one pound for the last few days..:)
Need to take it in and have the sensor in that wheel replaced.
Other than that...I have had no issues with the TPMS.

Texas Jim

tedcmiller
10-23-10, 11:38 PM
I had a TPM sensor replaced in a 2005 CTS-V due to malfunction (the dashboard display showed a very low pressure when the tire was at normal pressure). They do go bad occasionally. I have not left my car at an airport for an extended period of time, but I have driven through them frequently with no problems.

HartfordGuy
10-24-10, 06:02 AM
I work at an airport and park my DTS right up next to the terminal 5 days a week. No issues with the TPM sensors.

A previously owned Grand Cherokee did have one fail, but that actually happened at home on my day off. The dealer replaced it and it never happened again.

Could just be a coincidence. RF can cause some problems like that, but I do think the airport story is a long reach.

Superjim
10-24-10, 10:26 AM
TulsaVic,

Do I understand it right...that the "ENTIRE TPMS" system failed...that "NONE" of the tire monitors were working???

Or was it just one sensor that failed...

Texas Jim

TulsaVic
10-24-10, 12:24 PM
Texas Jim: Nope. The DIC still read the tire pressures (ranging between 29psi and 31psi). I just had the yellow alert light ON in the dashboard. No other symptoms. It didn't flash for 60 seconds and then stay ON, which the OM says indicates a system malfunction. And the tire pressures were well above the usual alert point. It was just a steady yellow light. The only thing the dealer did was re-boot the system. No parts replaced. I know the airport link is a stretch. But that's the only time I've had this occur. Last time was Nov 2009 when I flew back East for Thanksgiving, and then about 3 months earlier when I was on a business trip.

Superjim
10-24-10, 01:23 PM
Texas Jim: Nope. The DIC still read the tire pressures (ranging between 29psi and 31psi). I just had the yellow alert light ON in the dashboard. No other symptoms. It didn't flash for 60 seconds and then stay ON, which the OM says indicates a system malfunction. And the tire pressures were well above the usual alert point. It was just a steady yellow light. The only thing the dealer did was re-boot the system. No parts replaced. I know the airport link is a stretch. But that's the only time I've had this occur. Last time was Nov 2009 when I flew back East for Thanksgiving, and then about 3 months earlier when I was on a business trip.

About the airport...it could be possible that one of the radio frequencies they use is interfering with the TPMS.
If it does it long enough...maybe the TPMS kinda locks and forgets how to to do a "SELF RESET"...
Just a thought...since it only happens at the airport...

I used to do amateur radio...years ago.
My radio would sometimes come over my neighbors TV sets and telephones.. :) :)
I made sure they all had my phone number, so that when it happened, I could change frequency or back down on my transmitting power..:tisk:
I could transmit 2,000 watts.. :D :D

Texas Jim