: Srx -turbo - 2010 and/or 2011: Feelings & opinions appreciated.

SHOWGIRL
10-22-10, 06:22 PM
Hello - if there are any SRX 2010 or 2011 SRX=Turbo owners on this board we would appreciate your input regarding recommending this vehicle. (or not !) :thumbsup:
Much Appreciated ....

Smokin' SRX
10-22-10, 07:14 PM
Get a 2011 TURBO! I have a 2010 3.0 eng, Performance model, and love it! I wish I had the turbo, not that it;s grossly underpowered, but I drive quickly and while it does it OK, it always has to downshift 2 gears to propel me and it makes more noise in doing so than I care for. If you are only getting a Base model for the great looks and don't want to spend the extra $$, you'll be fine.

I say 2011 because while my 2010 has been terrific, some here have "first year model" glitches and it can be frustrating. At least get a late production date unit like mine (I have a June 2010) Many glitches seem worked out as production continued.....

Best wishes!!

SS

PS............in case they "forget" to mention" it, the turbo needs Premium gas! can be $2-300 more a year at average mileage. Worth it to me!

SHOWGIRL
10-22-10, 11:32 PM
Get a 2011 TURBO! I have a 2010 3.0 eng, Performance model, and love it! I wish I had the turbo, not that it;s grossly underpowered, but I drive quickly and while it does it OK, it always has to downshift 2 gears to propel me and it makes more noise in doing so than I care for. If you are only getting a Base model for the great looks and don't want to spend the extra $$, you'll be fine.
I say 2011 because while my 2010 has been terrific, some here have "first year model" glitches and it can be frustrating. At least get a late production date unit like mine (I have a June 2010) Many glitches seem worked out as production continued.....Best wishes!!SS
PS............in case they "forget" to mention" it, the turbo needs Premium gas! can be $2-300 more a year at average mileage. Worth it to me!
=======================
Hello and thank you for your input !! and good point about waiting for the 2nd-yr for 'glitches' to be ironed-out.... we're in the 'thinking' stage - too long to explain and would probably be 'boring' to you - LOL ...but if this happens i'll let you know ... Best to you ! ''showgirl''

Razorecko
10-23-10, 12:38 AM
Get the turbo. I've driven both and we purchased a turbo for my wife. It has alot of go for what it is. It is especially suprising how fast it is at highway speeds.

SHOWGIRL
10-23-10, 08:28 AM
Get the turbo. I've driven both and we purchased a turbo for my wife. It has alot of go for what it is. It is especially suprising how fast it is at highway speeds.
----------------------------------
''FAST on highway'' (as you mentioned above) ...that is amazing because my husband always wants enough power to get him away from tailgaitors and/or those huge 'semi's'' LOL . thank you so much !!

Razorecko
10-23-10, 11:02 AM
^ and if i mean quick than its darn quick ( i have an '09 cts-v ) so my judgement of speed is already hindered =)

SHOWGIRL
10-23-10, 11:24 AM
^ and if i mean quick than its darn quick ( i have an '09 cts-v ) so my judgement of speed is already hindered =)
------------------------------------------------
Then you certainly do have a valid point of 'comparrison !!! Thanks so much ! ! if you say 'fast' then we'll go with your judgment.... good enough for us !! :yup:

miked
10-24-10, 02:33 AM
My few cents. We traded in my wife's 2008 Cadillac SRX V8 with a 2010 Cadillac SRX Turbo on Friday. Furthermore, she rented a "base" SRX with Hertz last week.

She felt that the base had sufficient acceleration for normal driving, but when you wanted to accelerate a little quickly to pass someone, when the light turns green, etc., the engine didn't have enough reserves, and almost required flooring it to get moving quickly.

By comparison, the Turbo is very similar to the V8 in our old SRX. It gives a nice jolt of pep when you need it. For sustained acceleration (say, 0-60 mph), the V8 is still king, but that's just not a type of driving that you usually do unless you're trying to show off your car to a friend.

TheCaptain
10-24-10, 03:22 AM
I love my 2010 3.0L AWD Premium! It has a lot of snap (since the trans learns your driving) especially compared to when i bought it. The mileage is awesome on it!! :D And the 3.0L actually really pleased me more then i thought it would. I originally looked at a turbo because of the power, but decided against it! (mainly because i hate turbos, and didn't want to fiddle with premium gas again)

mm9351
10-24-10, 09:55 AM
I love my 2010 3.0L AWD Premium! It has a lot of snap (since the trans learns your driving) especially compared to when i bought it. The mileage is awesome on it!! :D And the 3.0L actually really pleased me more then i thought it would. I originally looked at a turbo because of the power, but decided against it! (mainly because i hate turbos, and didn't want to fiddle with premium gas again)

I have to agree! One of the best features is that I can use regular gas, especially with gas prices on the rise again. There is more than adequate power for almost all driving situations. Overall fuel economy is decent; over 21 mpg in combined highway and city, no complaints.

Can anyone comment on the fuel economy on the turbo? I would think it's close to the 3.0L...thanks.

stevec5375
10-24-10, 12:09 PM
For those who don't think the 3.0L has enough acceleration, don't forget about Sports Mode on the transmission. I don't know if it comes on all levels of the car, but my Premium has it.

Caribbean Blue
10-24-10, 12:54 PM
We love our SRX but we've been very disappointed in the Turbo's drivability. In first gear the turbo is boost-limited and there are very noticeable power drop-offs when shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. Ours was one of the early ones that had the ECM update due to problems with gas below 93 octane. I had it back several times and they finally replaced the turbo inlet valve which got it to where it is now. I thought it was just ours but then I read the review in the June 2010 Car and Driver which was very negative on the engine.

Their experience of surging and slacking power and poor throttle calibration accurately describes what we've been living with, and their final statement: "Cadillac...remedy this please"

sube5186
10-24-10, 06:23 PM

The Capt pretty much sums up my feelings to a T. I hate Turbos and I always swore I'd never buy a car that required premium fuel. It's not that the cost is that prohibitive. It's not. It's just the principal.

I can personally attest to the fact that the acceleration changes significantly after break in. I'd say after about 500 miles it's like a completely different car. Part of this is due to the transmission's learning process. It learns your driving style and adapts shift points accordingly. This is mentioned in the brochure, but I can't find anything about it in the manual. Pretty strange. This is also evidenced by the fact that I used to frequently use "Sport" mode before the vehicle was broken in. It was almost a necessity. Now, I rarely use it at all, unless I'm literally "racing" to my destination. :lildevil:

Due to the aforementioned, in my opinion there's no way to do a fair comparison between the Turbo and the 3.0L, unless you can find one that has at least 500 miles on it. And if you did, I wouldn't consider that a "new" car.

The bottom line is, I'm perfectly satisfied with my 3.0L and have absolutely no regrets. :yup:

Sube

SHOWGIRL
10-24-10, 08:42 PM
My few cents. We traded in my wife's 2008 Cadillac SRX V8 with a 2010 Cadillac SRX Turbo on Friday. Furthermore, she rented a "base" SRX with Hertz last week.

She felt that the base had sufficient acceleration for normal driving, but when you wanted to accelerate a little quickly to pass someone, when the light turns green, etc., the engine didn't have enough reserves, and almost required flooring it to get moving quickly.

By comparison, the Turbo is very similar to the V8 in our old SRX. It gives a nice jolt of pep when you need it. For sustained acceleration (say, 0-60 mph), the V8 is still king, but that's just not a type of driving that you usually do unless you're trying to show off your car to a friend.
========================
We did test the 3.0 SRX - it's gorgeous but wanted something with more power ...for getting away when someone is on your 'tail' or passing, etc.
Thanks again for replying !!! :)

SHOWGIRL
10-24-10, 08:45 PM
I love my 2010 3.0L AWD Premium! It has a lot of snap (since the trans learns your driving) especially compared to when i bought it. The mileage is awesome on it!! :D And the 3.0L actually really pleased me more then i thought it would. I originally looked at a turbo because of the power, but decided against it! (mainly because i hate turbos, and didn't want to fiddle with premium gas again)]
--------------------
appreciate your input very much !!!

SHOWGIRL
10-24-10, 08:50 PM
The Capt pretty much sums up my feelings to a T. I hate Turbos and I always swore I'd never buy a car that required premium fuel. It's not that the cost is that prohibitive. It's not. It's just the principal.

I can personally attest to the fact that the acceleration changes significantly after break in. I'd say after about 500 miles it's like a completely different car. Part of this is due to the transmission's learning process. It learns your driving style and adapts shift points accordingly. This is mentioned in the brochure, but I can't find anything about it in the manual. Pretty strange. This is also evidenced by the fact that I used to frequently use "Sport" mode before the vehicle was broken in. It was almost a necessity. Now, I rarely use it at all, unless I'm literally "racing" to my destination. :lildevil:

Due to the aforementioned, in my opinion there's no way to do a fair comparison between the Turbo and the 3.0L, unless you can find one that has at least 500 miles on it. And if you did, I wouldn't consider that a "new" car.

The bottom line is, I'm perfectly satisfied with my 3.0L and have absolutely no regrets. :yup:
Sube
----------------------------
We were told by the salesman that the SRX would 'adapt' but not knowning any owners we weren't sure if we were hearing correctly ! LOL ...
good idea tho about taking out one with at least 500 miles & compare it to a 'new' !! We know 'nothing' about turbos !
thanks again so much for your input ! much appreciate.

Razorecko
10-24-10, 09:12 PM
I would say test drive one. With the turbo you do have to hit the "trac off" button to get full power. With traction on it does pull back alot of the 'umph'....traction control with an awd vehicle = lose

SHOWGIRL
10-24-10, 09:42 PM
I would say test drive one. With the turbo you do have to hit the "trac off" button to get full power. With traction on it does pull back alot of the 'umph'....traction control with an awd vehicle = lose
------------------------------
the SRX turbo is equipped with awd (i think) there is a '4' on the back with the SRX - maybe there's a difference between AWD and 4 wheel drive ?

TheCaptain
10-24-10, 10:05 PM
the SRX turbo is equipped with awd (i think) there is a '4' on the back with the SRX - maybe there's a difference between AWD and 4 wheel drive ?

Yes, 4WD is Driver Selectable between 2WD and 4WD (and sometimes option of 4HI and or 4LO).
AWD is all the wheels all the time, of which the SRX4's are equipped. SRX's with no 4 following, they are FrontWD.

RippyPartsDept
10-24-10, 10:29 PM
SRX4 means AWD

Razorecko
10-25-10, 05:13 PM

AWD = suv's and cars
4WD = Pickups, selects between 2/rwd and 4wd

The turbo model srx only comes in the awd / srx4.

zinner
10-25-10, 10:35 PM
Thanx for the feedback. I am a bit skeptical of the transmissions learning your driving style, I have a 06 AWD V6 and have been considering an upgrade to the SRX v2. Anyone upgrading from a similar model have any feedback about the change?

My initial thoughts are the new SRX is smaller, slower and same MPG. ( get about 21 now)

Ponyman
10-26-10, 07:49 AM
Our SRX is geting about 17 in town and 25-26 Highway.

PJ1520
10-26-10, 11:19 AM
This discussion of the 3.0 and the 2.8T has brought out a lot of solid viewpoints. Frankly, I think the 3.0 is just fine.

While I would select the 2.8T myself, that is because of personal preference.

To get the extra horsepower I am willing to take on the lower fuel mileage and the added expense of the premium fuel so I can then drive like my grandmother 95% of the time to mitigate the lower mileage and higher fuel costs. But the other 5% of the time? :D

There IS some degree of satisfaction in knowing the extra power is there, even when it is only used less frequently. I'll bet at least half of the folks in this forum would not rate themselves as moderate or sedate drivers. Which means......the extra push would not be unwelcome.

The 3.0 has to sometimes work a little harder and will be a little busier with the downshifts. That is why I think it is important folks test drive both extensively before making the engine decision, to see if you find that business annoying.

In my opinion there is no sense spending North of $40K and then be unhappy with what we choose over the course of X years, especially for our daily use and considerations. Fun and potential is a daily use and consideration to me.

qball
11-20-10, 02:48 PM
Our 2.8 Premium turbo has gobs of torque. We live in western South Dakota and for 75 mph highway driving there is none of the annoying up-down shifting of every other non turbo vehicle I've driven (GMC Acadia, Toyota 4-runner, Chevy S-10). All you see is a smooth increase in turbo boost as you go up long steep grades. Need to pass an 18 wheeler...put your foot in it and you are going 95 before you know it. Premium gas...if you can afford a Caddy...it shouldn't make you flinch. Maybe a 2011 is a better choice as we've had some of the start up glitches noted on this forum...but I wouldn't get one without the turbo. Milage equal to my Toyota 4-runner Limited (avg 20 mpg per tank).

chiefmjk
11-20-10, 06:24 PM
I have my Turbo for 2 days now. I LOVE IT. Pure smooth power and great handing. The Turbo and Trans work great together. So far 20.4 MPG with 70% highway at 75+ MPH. Try it you'll like it.