: I can't believe Cadillac can't.....

orconn
10-22-10, 05:05 PM
I can't believe that, with all GM spends on so called "executive" talent, Cadillac can't find someone to design a decent somewhat distinctive car design for at least two of their models. Let's face it, if Cadillac is going to continue to produce "almost" luxury cars that are distinctive and unique they need some originality of design. I think this thought occured to Cadillac management when they embarked on the "Art and Science" campaign ..... unfortunately they forgot about the "beautiful" part of the equation. Cadillac needs something as distictive as the 4th generation Seville and its sibling the '90's Eldorado. The new efforts we've seen are retrimmed rehashes of the current Euro/Asian "coupe sedan." This copycat "follow the leader" won't get Cadillac on the move again as a car to be sought after. Like Jaguar, if it looks the same there's no point .... for not much more you can buy the real thing ( and apparently that's just what people are doing)!

The Tony Show
10-22-10, 05:25 PM
The CTS family and SRX are referred to as attractive and unique by most magazines and blogs. Aside from the stodgy DTS that's left over from 2006, I don't see their design lacking at all.

Stingroo
10-22-10, 05:52 PM
Coming from me this is going to sound weird, but:

CTS Wagon looks... bleh.

ben.gators
10-22-10, 06:54 PM
The CTS family and SRX are referred to as attractive and unique by most magazines and blogs. Aside from the stodgy DTS that's left over from 2006, I don't see their design lacking at all.

Well, CTS family, Escalade, and SRX are nice cars, no discussion about it.... But what about a full sized real luxury car that Cadillac was famous for it? Let's put it in another way, Which car is the successor of Cadillac Seville, or Eldo?

hueterm
10-22-10, 07:24 PM
There isn't, so downsize to the CTS and be a good little Gov't Motors drone...

Stingroo
10-22-10, 07:29 PM
Actually, I'll edit this post myself so as not to get this thread moved.

orconn
10-22-10, 08:52 PM

Let's face it baring a complete styling disaster we can count on the auto mags praising just about anything from anyone (exceptaybe non advertisers). After all there bread and butter comes from their advertisers not their readers. As arbitors of taste the auto hacks are as sophicated as the 8th grade at at your local Jr. High .... how "much does it cost ... oh it must be beautiful ... oh everyone wants one, I do too!" Oh its' a BMW its' really beautiful!

Stingroo
10-22-10, 09:15 PM
Let's face it baring a complete styling disaster we can count on the auto mags praising just about anything from anyone (exceptaybe non advertisers). After all there bread and butter comes from their advertisers not their readers. As arbitors of taste the auto hacks are as sophicated as the 8th grade at at your local Jr. High .... how "much does it cost ... oh it must be beautiful ... oh everyone wants one, I do too!" Oh its' a BMW its' really beautiful!

I think this is the most accurate post I've ever read on this forum. EVER.

Playdrv4me
10-23-10, 02:18 AM
I don't remember auto rags being particularly kind to the Aztek. And even MotorWeek (who usually tends to have the blandest saccharin laced reporting anywhere) was a little harsh on the new Mexican made Jetta.

V-Eight
10-23-10, 11:26 AM

IMO the DTS looks FAR better than the CTS. Maybe because its one of the few cars still out there that still has a bit of that long and lean look to it.

hueterm
10-23-10, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I don't think the DTS looks stodgy at all....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-23-10, 01:08 PM
I don't think the DTS looks stodgy at all either. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cadillac has always been known for making cars that look unlike anything else on the road and have a certain style and vibe, and this is the case nowadays with their Art & Science design theory, but they DO need a proper full size sedan and coupe.

drewsdeville
10-23-10, 03:02 PM
I don't think the DTS looks stodgy at all either. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cadillac has always been known for making cars that look unlike anything else on the road and have a certain style and vibe

This is my problem with the DTS. Cadillac wants to be distinctive....but the DTS blends in with everything else out there and is anything but that.

This is my problem with many of the recent designs, including the Catera, STS/SLS, and any others out there that did not carry any typical Cadillac styling cues. Doesn't mean they are all bad looking cars, they just don't look like Cadillacs to me: they just look like "nice" cars.

The one that really disappoints me is the lack of the vertical taillights after the '99 Deville and '02 Eldo...the one styling cue where everyone sees it and says "that's a Cadillac". Catera and STS both went for generic horizontal tail lights that look like they could have been a carry over from any car. I remember noticing those both for the first time and thinking "wtf is that, that's not a Cadillac."

Most of Cadillacs successful competition have distinctive styling cues, especially BMW who have been using the same ones for decades. Even Acura has developed some cues that are easily recognizable as Acura, as well as Porsche and MB. Whether you think they are ugly or not is another story but, it works, it's recognized. For now, in my opinion, Cadillac is just designing some really nice looking Chevy's.

Cadillac stylists need to sing the old "Cadillac Style" commercials to themselves while they are at the drawing board because Cadillac style has definitely faded.

Jesda
10-23-10, 05:00 PM
LOL, white people playing polo

billc83
10-23-10, 07:20 PM
I think part of the problem may be in BMW's success (all jokes about BMW stealing sales from Cadillac aside!). BMW is the archetype for the sporty-luxury car, and its competitors have emulated some of BMWs styling cues in an attempt to seem more Bavarian.

Since the 1600, BMW has had distinctive line that flowed along its side. It carried on into the 3-series, 5-series, 7-series, et al. and was a distinctively BMW trait. Find me a luxury car nowadays that doesn't have that. Hell, even the Chrysler Sebring has it, and it's one of the few design elements I like about that car.

gary88
10-23-10, 08:55 PM
All BMWs since about 1972 forward have held three unique styling traits:

1) Hoffmeister kink
2) Dual kidney grilles
3) Quad headlights

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-23-10, 11:13 PM
This is my problem with the DTS. Cadillac wants to be distinctive....but the DTS blends in with everything else out there and is anything but that.

The one that really disappoints me is the lack of the vertical taillights after the '99 Deville and '02 Eldo...the one styling cue where everyone sees it and says "that's a Cadillac". Catera and STS both went for generic horizontal tail lights that look like they could have been a carry over from any car. I remember noticing those both for the first time and thinking "wtf is that, that's not a Cadillac."

I'll agree, it seems for a while that Cadillac wanted to run away from their heritage and design lots of cars that looked distinctly European and ignored all their stereotypical styling cues.

But the new DTS does still carry those vertical, razor thin tail lamps and looks unlike any other full size sedan on the market.
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/2011/cadillac/dts/6834-048-rear-3-4-480.jpg

billc83
10-23-10, 11:24 PM
The 2006+ DTS is, styling-wise, head and shoulders more Cadillac distinctive than the '00 - '05 Deville.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-23-10, 11:33 PM
Indeed. The 00-05 was a low point of Cadillac design, when it comes to styling anyways.

orconn
10-23-10, 11:52 PM
The 2006+ DTS is, styling-wise, head and shoulders more Cadillac distinctive than the '00 - '05 Deville.

I agree that the 2006+ DTS was a good "clean up" of a rather amorphous '00-'05 Deville design. I remember being in a Cadillac showroom back in 2000 and saleman telling that the new Deville was supposed to look like a Mercedes and that that was what everyone wanted. I remember looking at the new deville and thinking "what a lump of vanilla!"

Playdrv4me
10-24-10, 01:10 AM
I'm not sure WHAT the 2000-'05 Deville was supposed to look like... but Mercedes is NOT it!

Aron9000
10-24-10, 01:32 AM
All BMWs since about 1972 forward have held three unique styling traits:

1) Hoffmeister kink
2) Dual kidney grilles
3) Quad headlights

You forget about the Z1, M1, and 8 series, which had different headlights.

hueterm
10-24-10, 11:58 AM
The Performance III with big chromes screams get out of my way...even if the typical driver doesn't use it that way....

Jesda
10-24-10, 01:13 PM
I preferred the roof and C-pillar of the 00-05 Deville. The current one is too much like an Impala from the rear quarter, but everything else about the car is excellent, especially in black or white.

77CDV
10-24-10, 03:27 PM
Crimson Pearl on the current DTS is THE perfect color for the car.

hueterm
10-25-10, 12:53 PM
+1000000000000000

Eslocklier
10-25-10, 03:43 PM
Everyone's getting generic these days. That said, at least the CTS series is around. And there's noting out there like em