: Bottoming Out after lowering

Hetiloak
10-22-10, 04:20 PM
Hi, just installed a ground force lowering kit that included shocks (factory air ride failed) and springs along with the relevant bumpstops. Problem i have is that even with NO 3rd row seats installed the vehicle bottoms out with a massive thud over the smallest road undulations. I dont want to attempt going out with the kids in the back as the extra 300-500 load will surely end up damaging the back end?. The noise when it hits is almost apocalyptic!! Any suggestions on where to look for issues?

nathanjax
10-22-10, 04:41 PM
You will NEED to do the free travel mod which is cutting off the rear bumpstop brackets for additional travel

You can see in this picture where my bumpstop was cut off directly above the rear end

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/04%20Escalade/Suspension/Suspension1.jpg

TheCaddyKidd
10-22-10, 06:24 PM
I also had a ground force lowering kit and had the same issue although i think they took out the bump stops.. every bump i hit felt like the whole bottom just smashed the ground.. now i got the lift and i sometimes hit the same potholes i hit with the lowering kit and i can barely tell they are there...

Hetiloak
10-23-10, 05:13 AM
Hi Caddykid,

when you say "lift".......? How did you raise it?

Hetiloak
10-23-10, 11:45 AM
Ok i'll look into this. What stops it travelling too far after the mod? Did you use a Groundforce kit? Sorry for the questins but im really concerned that i wont get this sorted.

nathanjax
10-23-10, 02:17 PM
Ok i'll look into this. What stops it travelling too far after the mod?

The springs stop it from going all the way to the frame... usually. It's not a big deal if it hits though, unless you were to hit it so unbelievably hard that it breaks the axle, but I don't see how that could ever happen...

Did you use a Groundforce kit?

No I pieced together my lowering kit.

TheCaddyKidd
10-23-10, 07:56 PM
Hi Caddykid,

when you say "lift".......? How did you raise it?

When I sadi lift I was referring to the lift kit I just installed.. I removed the lowering kit from the truck as I couldnt take the ride anymore.. I hated driving the truck with the way it was taking the bumps.. It was just embarassing to be in a Cadillac and everytime you hit a bump it felt the tires flew off.. I'm sure there was something more to it.. When the kit was first installed it was great.. I barely noticed anything but once the parts wore in it was just hell.. I recently went the other way and did a 6 inch lift kit and the ride is back to stock quality.. Now it rides like a Cadillac.. I mean dont get me wrong.. The handling on my truck was great with the lowering kit and sway bars and everything.. It took corners like nothing but in my area you can't drive 20 feet without hitting a pothole so it just wasnt worth it anymore..

Hetiloak
10-29-10, 06:20 AM
[QUOTE=nathanjax;2396517]You will NEED to do the free travel mod which is cutting off the rear bumpstop brackets for additional travel

You can see in this picture where my bumpstop was cut off directly above the rear end

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/04%20Escalade/Suspension/Suspension1.jpg

Free travel mod completed. No bottoming out. Thanks for the advice.

nathanjax
10-29-10, 02:48 PM
Free travel mod completed. No bottoming out. Thanks for the advice.

Glad to hear it. Knew it would work.

T-Giv
02-01-11, 11:54 PM
Caddykit you still have your drop kit by chance? I'm looking to pick one up and would love to take yours off your hands for ya.