Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Flat Black STS

6K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  rzambrano 
#1 ·
OH WOW!!Has any one done this? I would really like to see some pics since i have never seen a matte black sts...

#2 ·
as a show car it would look awesome...but as a daily driving car not a good suggestion, no clear coat to protect from the environment, can't buff out fine scratches and other marks, extreme sun fading and damage from uv rays, I would not recomment it. I would be cautious of where you bring it, to get a show room flat black paint job is hard. I would lean on the satin black paint job, google satin black cars, its an awesome color and you still have your clear coat!

#3 ·
#6 ·
Quite a few vinyl wrapped matte black vehicles around here, problem with the vinyl is it is so thin that it tears too easily, wind pulls up the edges if not done properly, doesn't stretch like 3M so the edges look like crap if they aren't a straight edge. Paint is ok but hard to maintain like stated above.

Best car I have seen yet in terms of looks, fit & finish and thickness for proper 3M is the new Di Noc material on a CLK Black Series, damn near perfect (getting out played on some cars).

#7 ·
I found this

#14 ·
Hmm yeah, I can't figure out how the Merc looks so good but the STS looks "bleh"... Lighting isn't helping. I don't really like the wheels on that STS, on the other car they're a little constrasing and with the discs more visible it kind of sets it off I think.

I think also the merc has more creases and contours and makes the flat look better.

#16 ·
Well there you have it, not the best looking car in flat black. I think an STS can look much better in flat black, except that the one on this one is certainly a cheap paint and body job.

#17 ·
I still say if the lighting were reversed - the STS done professionally like the Mercedes was, and the Mercedes caught in a parking lot by an amateur... well.. things might be different.

On the other hand, if it doesn't look good "in real life", then, what's the point :)

#20 ·
Got factory black and I painted over the chrome trim looks great. Also powdercoated the weels semi gloss black. Then found black center cap wrethes. Ya I think this one was a shitty job and they werent thinking when going with the all black look. IMO i think they screwed up doing the trip of the headlights like this, and the grill wreath DEFINATELY should have been left alone.... or get some sort of customized one, dont just paint it over. Got to touch up some scuffs on my lower D3 bumper and do a good waxing, then I'll post some pics eventually. Always get great comments :)

#21 ·
Any pics?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.