: The old format

mgturbo1
10-21-10, 08:14 PM
The old format wasn't broken, but you fixed it anyway. Old saying: If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Stingroo
10-21-10, 08:45 PM
It was broken, there were several underlying issues with photo albums, security token errors, etc that prompted the upgrade. vBulletin is releasing another update to patch the problems in this version sometime in the next month or so, from what I've read.

RippyPartsDept
10-21-10, 09:14 PM
yeah Stingroo's right
the forum software (just like all software) needs to be upgraded for security reasons (at least)
the only software systems that don't need upgrading are ones that cost tons of money to design in the first place AND are either heavily protected from the internet or not connected to the internet at all

upgrades are a part of digital life and we'll have to learn to live with them
those who can adapt best will have a leg up on those who can't (or won't)

RippyPartsDept
10-21-10, 09:21 PM
to put it another way - carburetter fuel systems weren't broken but we still switched to fuel injection

Jesda
10-21-10, 09:24 PM
I prefer the old look with darker blues. It was easier to read.

This is definitely smoother and faster even with its flaws.

Ranger
10-21-10, 10:02 PM
:yeah:

RippyPartsDept
10-21-10, 10:09 PM
well the colors can be changed... i do wonder why they didn't use the same color scheme as before though

billc83
10-21-10, 10:47 PM
The only thing I really miss about the old format was the drop down menu with a link to every single section here. The new style took a little getting used to, but I like it now.

Oh, and in before this thread gets moved!

RippyPartsDept
10-21-10, 10:53 PM
that drop down menu is still there... at the bottom of each page below the last post on the right (above the reply box)
isn't that where it was before? i can't remember
but you're not the first person to have this 'change blindness' problem with the drop down

Lord Cadillac
10-22-10, 01:08 AM
Some people only notice the negative things in life.........

johnmayer
10-22-10, 02:28 AM
Well i am new here and having a good time in the forum.i like the colors here.

Aron9000
10-22-10, 04:28 AM
I like the previous layout a lot better, just easier to read IMO . . . .

But the site runs SO much better now its not even funny, and I've gotten used to the new format anyways now.

slk230mb
10-22-10, 09:59 AM
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

firstimecaddi
10-22-10, 01:48 PM
@rippy
...but you're not the first person to have this 'change blindness' problem with the drop down Read more at....

have you been watching "Lie to me"

Lord Cadillac
10-22-10, 04:31 PM
While the functionality has improved, it will continue to improve along with the design. It'll get better. I just don't want to go crazy making any changes until I feel the next upgrade will hold up for awhile. There have been hundreds and hundreds of bugs fixed SINCE the version we have installed here.

The company who purchased Jelsoft/vBulletin most recently has already sold it. Hopefully the new owners will be better than the last...

RippyPartsDept
10-22-10, 06:31 PM
@rippy

have you been watching "Lie to me"

yeah i love that show...
i wasn't really sure if i was using the phrase correctly but it seemed to fit at the time

plus i like to throw those kinds of references out there and see what i can catch

EChas3
10-23-10, 11:54 PM
yeah Stingroo's right
the forum software (just like all software) needs to be upgraded for security reasons (at least)
the only software systems that don't need upgrading are ones that cost tons of money to design in the first place AND are either heavily protected from the internet or not connected to the internet at all

upgrades are a part of digital life and we'll have to learn to live with them
those who can adapt best will have a leg up on those who can't (or won't)

This is truth. I've been working in data processing for 35 years and its always changing. The only systems that don't get upgraded are the ones that no one uses anymore.