: Installed my Dynomax Turbo Mufflers

caddygirlny
09-16-04, 07:36 PM
I got my mufflers installed at mineke and the owner told me I should keep my resonator on so I dont get drone. I went with a 2.5inch pipe to a 2.5inch Y pipe, and got the mufflers welded on with the stock tips. When he went to start it up. I wasnt pleased at all...it didnt sound V8 at all...I dont see how everyone was so happy with this modification. everyone was talking about how amazing the dynomax are. Well i can barely hear anything its so quiet. it was a big dissapointment and a waste of 400 dollars. I should have just saved up for the corsa. b.c for exhaust sounds they let uhear..it sounds totally badass on the website. and this exhaust note i hear u can barely hear and it sounds like a old chevy 350 van with flowmasters. UGH.

what should i do??
the muffler guy said he can get a hi-flow cat with an 02 simulator and obd11 cat. which will make it more Hp and throatier.

Ugh...what did everyone else do?

foo
09-16-04, 11:35 PM
LOL if u want it loud you should have just bought a couple of glasspacks and had them weld those in.. they are only like $20 :)
The resonator is straight through so that doesn't matter.. The CAT will make it MUCH quieter, especially if it's old. I put a high flow cat and it made my exhaust twice as loud.
Still not anywhere near as loud as my catless built up mustang with true duals and headers was but still, it's pretty damn loud. I can hear it inside my house and even feel it a little when my wife drives away in the car heh. It's almost good enough to set off car alarms when I go by revving (mustang would do it idling next to a car with the alarm set lol)

Nottacop
09-17-04, 12:09 AM
What would a STS sound like if you left those Stock mufflers on and just cut those big ol' resonators off and put straight pipes to the tail pipes.?

foo
09-17-04, 01:07 AM
The resonators are just straight through.. there is nothing to them.. the only purpose they serve is to quell the sounds that 'resonate' back and forth through the pipes so you don't get that 'echoing'..... Have you ever driven a car with no cats and no resonators etc? It's like someone hitting a low note on the pipe organ when you are just crusing.. the resonator is there to prevent the low bass tone from vibrating the whole car with the low tone. The sts wouldn't really sound any different with it gone except it would be louder inside the cabin when you are cruising which we don't want.. that's why I got the corsa exhaust, it has a tuned resonator that is calibrated with the mufflers so when i'm cruising at 70 i just hear a slight rumble but if i stomp it it really opens up. If you remove the CAT or gut it or drill it out your car will be much louder. Dual exhaust also makes it louder as it's harder to resonate the sound. I have a big list of plans for my car in the mix and I plan on being the first northstar STS or any other northstar cadillac for that matter ( i think) that will have a turbo and a full set of headers, ported heads, custom cams, custom intake and engine management computer while still retaining exactly the stock look :> This will probably take me about a year or two to complete but I'll post randomly on here the results of the modifications and pictures and tons of cool stuff :)

chuck jenkins
09-17-04, 08:12 AM
My 93 sts sounds really good since I gutted the cat with the stock mufflers. It has more power too.

foo
09-17-04, 11:28 AM
well if gutting the cat didn't have a law against it, i would do it too.. and then just tune the car so it burns more efficiently with a wideband o2 sensor

caddygirlny
09-17-04, 12:17 PM
I really don't know what I should do. The guy that installed my exhaust thinks I should just get a Hi-flow CAT, and remove the resonator, b.c he says he can get obd2 cat with the bung to trick the PCM so I dont get an engine light. Then if doing this makes it louder and sound more like a V8 ill def do this.

foo
09-18-04, 05:02 AM
sure.. magnaflow cat is only around $99
bung can easily be welded into the pipe behind the cat no problem
installation shouldn't cost more than $100
and you'd sound a lot nicer and probaly pick up abotuer 5-10 hp

eldorado1
09-18-04, 10:34 PM
How much is this dynomax turbo? I'm looking for really quiet.... like sleeper quiet :D

and are they the same thing as the super turbo?

foo
09-19-04, 02:52 AM
Yea pretty much the same thing.
Whatever you put on it, it's not going to be as quiet as the stock exhaust.. If you want to keep it super quiet I would just replace the cat with a high flow and that's it.

Eldyfig
09-19-04, 01:40 PM
I bought two 2.5" Super Turbos about two years ago from http://www.Jegs.com. Got them shipped to me, total cost was $70. Took them to have them installed and didn't pay over $150. I think you paid too much. My car did not have resonators so I didn't have to worry about that. I am perfectly happy with the sound. I get plenty of compliments and my neighbors know the sound of my car when it starts. It has a low rumble while idling and opens up real nice above 1800 rpms. If you read some exhaust posts on http://www.caddyinfo.com you would see that flowmasters would give you a louder sound if that is what you wanted. If I were in your situation, I would drop the resonators. What good are they doing you. They are just added weight. Yes, you could also get a high flow cat. What about the incoming air? Have you opened up the intake air yet? Let that North* breathe some more air in so it can bark louder.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3771

Eldyfig
09-19-04, 02:03 PM
I just read your other post about your airbox mods. I take it you are breathing good. You did say in that other post that you were hoping that the Dynomax's are not too loud...now that you have them, you say that aren't loud enough.

caddygirlny
09-19-04, 06:02 PM
The dynomax super turbo mufflers, you can't even hear period, if i floor my car, my boyfriend can't hear my car at all he says when hes driving behind me. he drove it around and said it was way quieter than he expected. It feels ike I just kept it stock LOL. but i think im going to save up for corsa, despite the price, on thier website it sounds so amazing..and thats exactly the noise im looking for.

Eldyfig
09-19-04, 07:40 PM
Yeah, Corsa would be real nice. Why no sound from Dynomax's? I would say the resonators.

dkozloski
09-19-04, 11:06 PM
I put a Dynomax cat back system on my Mazda RX-7 Turbo and it was so damn loud it drove me crazy and was one of the major reasons I got rid of it. There is loud and then there is LOUD!!

foo
09-20-04, 12:55 AM
if you take the resonators off you will get droning. probably why you didn't like the rx7 noise lol.. even my corsa exhaust has resonators. It removes annoying droning sounds that will occur without them. If you can stand hearing a low durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrr inside your head while you are cruising at 65 then go ahead and remove them :) I really don't want that since, well, it IS a cadillac :>
Have you ever driven a 90's corvette, or a lt1/ls1 ta or camaro? Go take one for a test drive and listen to the droning at highway speeds.. now that drove me nuts and that was with stock exhaust :> but those cars are performance minded so it's kind of expected.. I wonder what the new GTO sounds like inside. The only reason I didn't mind driving my mustang (when i had it) down the highway is because i kept the 2.73 gear in the back and i could cruise at 80 at 1800 rpm which was just like idling :> if i had to cruise at 3000 rpm i'd have to crank up the radio.. the corsa system is the best so far.. very very low droning noises cruising and loud on WOT.. it actually sounds like a boat engine at full throttle to me. Only problem is it's $900 although it is stainless and very well made.
I also removed the stock airbox and made my own, which made under the hood sounds a lot louder too. You can really hear it sucking air :)

If you want I can make a video of it revving and then driving away.

Spyder
09-20-04, 01:20 AM
I'd like to see that video, if you have some spare time to make it...When I get my engine back in my car, since it'll be so low on miles, I'd like to do some upgrading to the car. I didn't want to before, as it was a 116K car, but now the motor'll have 37,000 and a spare tranny, so I'm ready to make it like new again! :)

caddygirlny
09-20-04, 09:01 PM
oh wow a video would be so cool, please do. THANX ;D

ShadowLvr400
09-20-04, 09:21 PM
I still root for putting the Ravin Z55 mufflers on. Give a nice deep rumble to the exhaust. Loved it on my late Eldo, and will eventually put it on my new Fleetwood.

sprucegoose
10-05-04, 12:11 AM
oh wow a video would be so cool, please do. THANX ;D

Have a couple of video clips with Dynomax Super Turbos on my Eldorado. They are not very quiet at all! I'm sure it must have something to do with your Cat and maybe the resonator. Let me know, I can Email you the clips if you want. They are about 344K in size, 15 seconds long... They sound great in my opinion. These are the shorter 14" long x 2 1/4" pipe sport version that I have on mine.

K2K
10-05-04, 12:25 AM
Mine sound pretty much like the ones on the website, I have just what you have?

http://www.dynomax.com/audio/track05.wav

Basically that, a little quieter

caddygirlny
10-05-04, 10:07 PM
is that from the inside or the outside....its weird how ur car at the end sounds like its downshifting like a stickshift...my car doesnt do that....

sprucegoose
10-05-04, 10:18 PM
is that from the inside or the outside....its weird how ur car at the end sounds like its downshifting like a stickshift...my car doesnt do that....

I think that link that K2K put up there is one of Dynomax's sound files from their actual website. Who knows what car it is, and it sounds like like they are just winding it up real high in a lower gear, and then it is kind of popping off as the trans is slowing the car when they let off the gas...

Here is a link to my video clips I took yesterday. Someone from the other Caddy board was nice enough to host them for me for a while. :thumbsup: Wish that the WOT one would have gone long enough to catch the 2nd gear shift... It sounds awesome, and I usually get a little chirp of the tires there too! :D

http://superflysmooth.kicks-ass.net/caddy/Sprucegoose.html

eldorado1
10-06-04, 12:29 AM
Hey Dave/Sprucegoose -

Does your car have cats or a resonator? That thing sounds like it's straight through to the mufflers! :suspect:

90devilleguy
10-06-04, 03:21 AM
The dynomax super turbo mufflers, you can't even hear period, if i floor my car, my boyfriend can't hear my car at all he says when hes driving behind me. he drove it around and said it was way quieter than he expected. It feels ike I just kept it stock LOL. but i think im going to save up for corsa, despite the price, on thier website it sounds so amazing..and thats exactly the noise im looking for.

should have gone with edelbrock mufflers,i love the sound of my muffler on my 90 deville.

sprucegoose
10-06-04, 08:09 AM
Hey Dave/Sprucegoose -

Does your car have cats or a resonator? That thing sounds like it's straight through to the mufflers! :suspect:

Yup, still has the stock Cat on there, but no resonator. I don't believe 93 Eldorados had one. I think the mufflers are a little louder than some Dynomax's as these are the 14" sport models. The OEM muffs and the street Dynomax's are like 20" long. ;)

eldorado1
10-06-04, 09:09 AM
Gotcha. <Mental note: bigger is better.> Has anyone tried the generic turbo muffler they sell at autozone? I think it's a Cherry Bomb Superturbo? Costs almost $20 less than the dynomax... I'd be willing to bet it sounds the same.

Spyder
10-06-04, 12:51 PM
I've got two of those cheap Turbos on my old Dodge big block...it sounds great, actually...very quiet until I open it up, then its not overwhelmingly loud, but you knows there's a lot of power in front of 'em...'Course, it'll sound different on a caddy... :)

cruzajc1
10-06-04, 01:55 PM
When I punch my gas my Dynomax Turbos sound awesome and i only paid roughly $140 for them installed. They are quite when you want them to be and loud when you punch the gas:) I am happy with mine.

Gus

cruzajc1@aol.com
96 STS