: IP1556 code, no clue.

mRobb
10-20-10, 05:04 PM
1996 DeVille, this code just showed up yesterday(among the other codes that have been there) and I can't seem to find any info on it. Tried asking in the DeVille forum and got no luck there, here's the link for the other info posted in that thread. Or, since I can't post a link yet, here's a copy/paste of everything from that thread.

I've got a '96 DeVille with a strange problem. Sometimes when I go to start it as I turn the key, the cluster display doesn't light up, and if that happens, it will turn over and start, but after 1-2 seconds it will shut off just like I turned the key off. The problem happens randomly, and seems like it happens more when it's colder outside(late night, early morning). I got 12 DTC's out of it, but I'm having trouble translating them.

The codes are:
PC0603 HISTORY
PC1520 HISTORY
PC1599 HISTORY
PC1604 HISTORY
PC1626 HISTORY
AC2255 HISTORY
AC2096 HISTORY
TC0083 HISTORY
RS0038 CURRENT
PZ2042 HISTORY
PZ2255 HISTORY
IR2096 HISTORY
No IPC, SDM, or RFA codes.

New current code popped up today.

IP1556

And when it started today(and stayed running for the first time in two days) the odometer just reads error and the message center displays "Theft system problem, vehicle may not restart".

I'm still lost on this and would love to hear from anybody who is at all familiar with this problem.

Submariner409
10-20-10, 05:28 PM
Looks like your 1996 is in the OBD crossover conversion limbo. Read the sticky thread (How to pull codes) just above this post - there's a paragraph in there concerning your two-letter prefixes.

Either get a real GM/Helm Service Manual (www.helminc.com or eBay) or subscribe your car to www.alldatadiy.com - both of those sources should have the DTC lists for the conversion.

Ranger
10-20-10, 09:21 PM
Yup, that's an OBDII code.
B1556 - IPC EEPROM Odo/Configuration Error
Don't ask me what it means though. :noidea:

Submariner409
10-21-10, 08:47 AM
Yup, that's an OBDII code.
B1556 - IPC EEPROM Odo/Configuration Error
Don't ask me what it means though. :noidea:

"odo" and IPC sound like something to do with the electronic odometer/speedo drive.

mRobb
10-21-10, 05:28 PM
"odo" and IPC sound like something to do with the electronic odometer/speedo drive.

Well that would explain the odometer no longer displaying the mileage, but not the theft system message or the starting issue.

I hate this car. I think it's time to drive it out into a field and shoot it till there's nothing left.

mRobb
10-21-10, 05:42 PM
A little searching with that new code takes me to the ignition control module. Could that be what is causing all my problems?