: sitting caddie

dyess1133
09-16-04, 05:30 PM
i have a 68 deville w/ a 472, i left for airforce basic training about two years ago and before i left i put my caddie in my father in-law's shedfor storage.the car ran great before i left and has very low miles. at the time i knew nothing of mechanics and did not do anything to prepare it for storage. :banghead: but i'm going back to pic it up next week and drive it home. my question to all of you is, what kind off problems am i looking at having and what can i do to make this go as smooth as posable??? i apreciat the help!

68' Big Body
09-16-04, 06:49 PM
Hi,

First off seems we work for the same company. So, the car has been sitting for like 2 yrs now? The tires are probably no good unless the car was elevated off of the ground some how. You'll want to change the oil asap, as well as any of the other fluids that have just been 'sitting' in the car, but mainly the gas and oil. If the battery was left hooked-up it's probably trashed also. Another thing you might find are little critters that have moved in and made your Cadillac home whiel you were away....ants, mice, etc.

Next time if you store for more than 3 months please fill the gas tank all the way and add fuel stabilizer, remover the battery and put it indoors, but not on the floor. Maybe put the car on concrete blocks an remove the tires and put those indoors also. Another thing would be to place moth balls inside the car and it's engine area to help prevent those small critters from moving in, then cover the car up tp protect it's exterior.

See Ya,
Phil

dyess1133
09-16-04, 10:40 PM
thanx man, i'll be sure to do just that. i did take the battery out and put it in my 72 eldorado so i'll have to get one of them anyhow. is there anything i should do to prepare it for the long trip home?(spokane wa., to abilene tx.:shocked2: ) and what can i do to improve the gas millage a bit??

68' Big Body
09-17-04, 01:17 AM
I forgot to mention that I went TDY to Dyess, AFB a few yrs back and didn't like it at all but then again, I don't like Montana that much either. Should have stayed at Moody, AFB......oh well.

If you tune the car up good enough and it's in decent shape, the trip shouldn't be an issue. I don't really know what you'd do to get better gas mileage from it though, I'm amost done with my HEI conversion and I hope that'll help somewhat so maybe put that on the table some where in the future. Here's an idea, maybe use the cruise control as most you can, if your works, and put 5 more PSI in each tire than what's called for.

:thumbsup:
See Ya,
Phil

dyess1133
09-19-04, 11:35 PM
ya i hate it here to but i just got orders to Elmandorf allaska :suspense: i leave in april.

anyhow i did get a pertonix 2 igniter kit, a flme thrower2 coil, and some performane wires, and a carb spacer, so i think that will help.

why do you sugest over-inflating the tires?? from what i know of tires that would do more harm than good?

Night Wolf
09-19-04, 11:57 PM
over inflating the tires makes then more round... less area ont he ground = better rolling resistance...

...I heard that if storing an ebgine (perhaps longer then 2 years.. but still)

run the engine, then pour some motor oil in the carb until it stalls out... that way the upper cylinders and piston have oil on them, prevents rust... then completly fill the crank case with oil..... then when you go to start it, drain all the oil, do a fresh oil change, and let her crank over until it fires...

dyess1133
09-26-04, 11:15 PM
i finally got home friday nite, got up saterday morning and went out to the shed to see my caddie for the first time in 2 years. popped the hood, checked the fluids, removed the air filter lid, sprayed a bit of starting fluid in the carb and that baby fired right up :woohoo: ....but then a little pile of grass by the exuast mannifold caught fire :bulging: but luckilly i had water hose right there and no harm caused but a few burnt wires. so i gave it a good wash. spent this morning changing plugs, wires,cap, rotor, and installing a pertronix igniter 2 kit and flame thrower coil. that went well tomorrow i'll be puting a 1" carb spacer on it and i'll let ya'll know how that goes

barge master
09-27-04, 12:35 AM
Run it through a few heating and cooling cycles. Clamps tend to loosen up, and seals get dried. Anything rubber should be looked at carefully.

dyess1133
09-27-04, 01:26 AM
thanks for the advice . i am going to have to replace quite a few vacume lines but surprisingly the radiator hoses and all belts are in great shape.

CadiJeff
09-27-04, 02:41 AM
i left for airforce basic training about two years ago and before i left i put my caddie in my father in-law's shedfor storage.the car ran great before i left and has very low miles. at the time i knew nothing of mechanics and did not do anything to prepare it for storage. :banghead: but i'm going back to pic it up next week and drive it home. my question to all of you is, what kind off problems am i looking at having and what can i do to make this go as smooth as posable??? i apreciat the help!

HEHEHE Lackland AFB HEHEHE Been there done that (survivor of 321trs and 319trs,for knee injury) Disneyland on Crack HEHEHE

Anyway I digress, having done a similar thing w/ an 81 coupe deville I would suggest the main thing to do is change the fluids and anytrhing rubber that looks dried out, oh and cram as much fresh gas as you can into it, that really helps, later you will want to change the fuel filter.