: '07 Escalade Navigation System Problem :(

aott97
10-20-10, 10:56 AM
Hey guys...gonna see if I could get some help from the experts here.

I have a 2007 Escalade with the factory installed navigation system in it. DVD is in great shape...not scratched or anything like that...appears to be working fine, showing all POIs, etc...

Here's the problem I am encountering...when I put in a address entry to obtain a route to, no matter what I put in, it always routes me to Tyler, TX.

I know this probably sounds like a silly newbie question, but do I not have some kind of zones or settings right? I have went through every menu and can't find anything that I could possibly have set up wrong...my compass is set to the correct zone...I made sure of that.

However, I do notice when showing the map screen with an option of choosing fastest, shortest, or other route, the little GPS icon in the top left corner of the screen has a slash/cross-out mark going through it...would this have anything to do with the problem I am having?

I have tried putting in local addresses here in my hometown to see if I can get the correct route and turn by turn instructions, but the system always sends me to Tyler, TX...help please!

Thanks in advance...I guess I really need to go to Tyler, TX, after all, it is a great city! LOL! :p

aott97
10-20-10, 02:16 PM
I think I might have seem something on here regarding waypoints being messed up...if someone could help me out here, it would be very much appreciated! :)

chadbaaronson
10-20-10, 07:05 PM
The GPS icon with the slash thru it means you have no GPS signal. Personally I would pull the radio out and see if the GPS antenna is properly connected - Its a small blue square connection in the back of the unit, perhaps it worked its way loose? While back there, I would pull all the plugs and let the unit reset itself, its a shot in the dark, but perhaps it will help get you out of Tyler, TX! Good luck, keep us posted.

UPDATE: Read post number 13 in this thread . . . seems like this happened to someone else also . . . http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/212259-anyone-have-2011-nav-disc-20945286-a.html

aott97
10-20-10, 07:26 PM
Hey Chad, thanks for the reply...let me ask you this. The GPS antenna is a whole different ballgame from the XM antenna (which is what's on the roof, right?) What I mean is, my XM signal and all is fine, but that doesn't have anything to do with the GPS or the GPS antenna components, correct? I can have a great XM signal but that doesn't have anything to do with GPS? Sorry...female here...can't you tell? I will have to take the 'Lade to my audio accesories place and get them to check it for me...I hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to pull that radio and all out to check the antenna connection. Yikes!

One more thing...this is a new map disc that I just installed...I have also seen on here people saying that it takes a little bit of time for your system to reacclimate itself to the new DVD...is that true?

But, that still doesn't explain the lack of a GPS signal...I'm leaning more toward what you are saying...

Thanks again...very helpful! :bouncy:

Big Windy Ext
10-20-10, 07:30 PM
The unit is quite easy to remove , 1 hour should be max time for in and out to check the plug on the unit . So it shouldn't cost an arm or a leg .

chadbaaronson
10-20-10, 07:45 PM
Hmmm good point about the XM signal working fine. . . I am not sure if they are in the same housing.

Big windy is right . . . the unit is VERY easy to remove. There are some trim panels you need to remove and just 6 easily accessible screws that hold in the unit itself. I changed my nav dvd drive last night. It took no more than 5 mins to remove the unit. Never-the-less, after reading that thread more, I'm leaning towards a waypoint that is "stuck" in your unit. Before pulling the unit, maybe try disconnecting the battery, someone in that post said doing that will also reset the unit.

aott97
10-20-10, 08:48 PM
I may try disconnecting the battery cables first...start with easiest possible fix first! If that doesn't work, then will try plan B, meaning checking to see if the GPS antenna is attached on back of unit. I know you guys say it's easy to do this, but remember...chic here...would be scared I'd screw it up somehow so I will probably leave that to the professionals. Since it's relatively easy to remove according to you guys, then labor shouldn't eat me up at the audio accesories store...probably be charged a 1 hour minimum for labor to do this...gotta go get front windows tinted anyways.

Speaking of, the tint is not going to affect the quality of the GPS signal, once I actually establish a signal, huh?

I've heard that sometimes magnetic particles in window tint can affect GPS signals...true or false?

Thanks again for all of you guys' help!

aott97
10-20-10, 08:50 PM
Also, is the whole thing about the installation of a new map DVD and your system taking a bit to adjust to it, true?

cadmanchris
10-20-10, 09:39 PM
The GPS antenna and XM antenna are 2 different antennas. The GPS antenna is under the front upper dash pad trim panel. The easiest thing to check is removing the radio and inspecting the blue antenna lead for being disconnected. If it is secure, you either have a faulty GPS antenna or radio. HTH.

RippyPartsDept
10-20-10, 10:30 PM
UPDATE: Read post number 13 in this thread . . .
Hey, that was me!

but seriously aott97, don't worry about tint and gps signal (unless you plan on tinting the windshield because that's the window your gps signal comes through due to the location of the antenna on the dash)

also, it does take some time for the new map to adjust to you unit (or the other way around... not sure exactly what happens)
but if you haven't taken the car for a spin yet there might be some stuff that happens with the new disc when you drive around for the first few miles or so

also, remember GPS can't go through walls or roofs so if you've got no signal and you're under a carport or in a garage, that's just normal

if you're still not getting a gps signal then the connection on the back of the radio should be checked... very weird that you would lose the gps signal at the same time you changed your map disc

~Chris

aott97
10-22-10, 04:05 PM
Hey Rippy, thanks for all of your help...and thanks to all who have chimed in. I'm leaning towards believing that I have a faulty GPS antenna or it has become disconnected from the back of my factory nav unit...I really don't think there's anything wrong with my system itself, but then again, who knows?

Rippy, approximately how much am I looking at if I have to replace the GPS antenna?

Again, female here and not technical as far as fooling with electrical components in my vehicle...would feel more comfortable having a professional do it so I don't mess something up.

I know they would have to take the top dash off, right? From what I understand, that's not too hard to do and not that time consuming, so I don't want them trying to eat me up on labor charges.

If my antenna is ok, then will they have to take nav unit out to access the back of it to see if antenna is connected?

If it's not either one of these things, then I have a faulty nav unit, right? Which will not be covered by warranty because I am over the mileage for that type of stuff (right at 70K miles)...like I said, everything works fine on my unit...just have no signal.

Thanks again for all of your help! :)

RippyPartsDept
10-22-10, 06:30 PM
if you run your VIN number through the compnine decoder and your car has the U3R code then the antenna will cost about $100 (at list price)
alternatively you can PM me your VIN and i'll check that way

I can't really speak to the labor side of things (being a parts guy) but what others here have said regarding the labor to get to the back of the radio seem about right (and getting the antenna fully out doesn't require that much work)

BUT --- before you go to all that trouble call your local cadillac dealer up and explain what's going on and ask about a software update to your nav system - it may be that simple (not sure why i didn't think of this earlier)

and by the way, how many miles are you past the warranty? if it's not too much a nice dealer may 'goodwill' it for you out of the kindness of their heart

good luck,
~chris

aott97
10-22-10, 07:31 PM
Rippy, fat chance on the dealer here locally doing anything out of good will...trust me! First thing they wanted to know when I pulled up today was how many miles I had (I have rolled over to 70K)...told me the Powertrain warranty covers engine problems and mechanical issues up to 100K miles, but only up to 50K miles for electrical problems, for instance, like my problem with my GPS not getting a signal...is that the case?

My Escalade is a 2007...software is from 2009...that wouldn't affect me not getting a GPS signal though, huh? Software is not that old...works fine when entering in an address entry...all menus and screens work and are available (XM fine...all screens and buttons work)...but, once I put in an address and go to get the route, it will route me to the same exact place every single time, no matter what...it'll take the address I put in to actually map and use that as my starting point...then it will draw the route out from that point to Tyler, Tx.

I cleared all waypoints out and everything. Like I said though, I have no GPS signal, so I guess the map doesn't know where I am. I bought the vehicle used...possibly, the antenna went out in Tyler, TX because that is where the nav system shows I am (the little circle and arrow always are on Tyler, TX.)

Just wanted to check with you...guy at the dealership told me I could be looking from $300 to $500 to fix this antenna...making sure I am not getting ripped off...does that sound about right to you or a little on the high side?

Again, your help is very much appreciated! :yup:

aott97
10-22-10, 07:39 PM
Meaning the Bumper to Bumper Warranty has expired on my vehicle, which is what the nav system would be covered under, right? I do believe that is in fact the case, accoding to the way the warranty reads...

RippyPartsDept
10-22-10, 08:02 PM
ok, well still... a software update for you nav shouldn't cost more than an hour of labor

but the gps issue does seem to be the problem - when was the last time it worked? or has it never worked for you?

and the dealer quote sounds okay if it's on the lower side of his quote - i would try and get them to be more specific though
there's a stated labor time (ask them what the labor time guide says) for any specific job
and they should be able to stick to a price

or maybe try another dealer (chevy or gmc will do - they have the same systems in their trucks w/ nav)

aott97
10-23-10, 10:56 AM
Hey Rippy...bought this vehicle about 2 weeks ago...GPS has never worked. When I purchased the vehicle, it didn't have a map DVD, so I had no way of knowing whether it would work or not...I had to purchase a map DVD and thought my issues would then be solved.

I thought the fact that there was no map DVD was the problem. Once I put the map DVD in and everything was loaded into the nav unit, I then started tinkering with it...this is when I discovered that I was getting no GPS signal...the GPS icon on the left top corner of the screen has a slash going through it.

Do you think there could be a possible glitch with my DVD that could be causing this issue? Would the disc have any bearing on me receiving a GPS signal to my unit?

Perhaps I could try calling navdisc and see if they could help me out?

I just don't want to get ripped off at the dealership...they see a woman and try to take advantage. I don't want to be told I have a faulty antenna or nav unit for them to try and get a bunch of money out of me.

K9Caddy
10-23-10, 11:00 AM
I would take it back and make them fix it, since you bought it only 2 weeks ago. Everything should work and they should make it right for you.

RippyPartsDept
10-23-10, 01:07 PM
depends on where you bought it but I would take K9Caddy's advice and go back (especially if it was a dealer - the dealers are supposed to make sure the car is in working order before selling it as such)

if it was a private sale, you're probably going to have to pay yourself since private sales are 'as is'

so if you do end up having to pay, my service dept said that 1.5 to 2 hours of labor to replace the GPS antenna under the dash

and in general, my advice to everyone who deals with dealerships (or other service places) is to go in armed with information
don't make yourself look like a know-it-all though - most people hate that
if they try and jerk you around be firm yet polite and stand your ground

don't let yourself get pushed into the situation where they say they'll look at it for cheap (or free) then each time they come back to you the price has gone up
also don't let them get you for a price range either. make them commit to doing something for a set price, and if they want to do something else they should ask your permission (if they don't then stand firm with 'i didn't authorize that repair')

so to summarize: arm yourself with knowledge and be firm yet polite when they try and mess with you
you're getting the knowledge part taken care of right now, so that's good - being firm, yet polite is usually the hard part and where things fall apart - either they piss you off or you piss them off

good luck