: steering wheel lock

1badchevelle
10-19-10, 08:44 PM
I have a 04 escalade that was recently stolen. The shop redid the column but are saying 02-06 did not have steering wheel locks. Can you guys confirm.

Thank you.

Gale Hawkins
10-20-10, 03:48 AM
Our 2003 does NOT lock. Today I went to a local dealer and the service center printed out all service GM paid for and when they replaced the transmission at 40K they replaced steering wheel position sensors about the same time. Not sure what they are?

sk7
10-21-10, 04:31 PM
Isn't a steering lock mandatory theft prevention since the 80's? My 02 has been previously tampered with. Ignition switch was replaced and steering still locks. The steering wheel position sensor has to do with the stabilitrak system.

1badchevelle
10-21-10, 11:12 PM
I know but I cant seem to get a straight answer.

phattruk
11-11-10, 02:40 PM
the '04 escalade steering wheel does not lock.

CEPMAN
11-14-10, 11:00 PM
no lock - don't know why, but I do know that there isn't a lock in my 04. Maybe it's because the damn trucks are so fricken heavy that there's no way someone would be able to turn the wheels without the power steering being activated/enabled

JimmydaGreek
11-30-10, 02:26 PM
No steering wheel lock on the Escalade, confirmed that with the dealer when I though mine was broken. They said they don't know why but it does not have one from the factory.

spridget
05-09-12, 11:41 PM
I just got an 04 EXT with 30k and i thought mine was broken also.....dealer said today "nope it doesn't have a column lock"....first vehicle I ever saw / had that did not have a lock on the steering. well ya older vehicles did not have them.......some as I recall could start without a key once u unlocked ignition.

the cadillac man
05-10-12, 02:52 AM
no lock - don't know why, but I do know that there isn't a lock in my 04. Maybe it's because the damn trucks are so fricken heavy that there's no way someone would be able to turn the wheels without the power steering being activated/enabledyou are right about the weight having a factor with the steering when the engine is off i know it is hard to do but the escalades for our body style don't have a steering wheel lock i know cause my uncle worked at gm i think it was done as a cost cutting move.

wake
05-12-12, 09:24 PM
My 05 doesn't lock. Neither does my 07 Saturn Sky, and neither did my previous SUV, an 02 Trailblazer.

Because there is no steering lock it's become an easier mark for thieves. I saw a local report on the Escalade being easy to steal after the Mayor or Councilman (I believe from D.C.) had his stolen. They showed that a lack of a steering lock and cheap metal in the shift column allows a thief to break the shifter out of park quite easily. A thief in a push vehicle pushes the vehicle from the back and the theif is able to steer the vehicle as it's pushed away. The Tahoes and Denalis have the same problem with theft, although the Escalade is #1 on the stolen SUV list and it shows. My Escalade is the highest cost vehicle I have to insure.

About the only way to protect your vehicle is to make it harder to steal and hope the extra few seconds a thief would need to steal it is enough deterrent to make them look for another vehicle. I use, 'The Club' on my vehicles and turn the wheel all the way to one side when I need to park them somewhere other than home or work. The Club is easy to defeat but adds another 15-30 seconds to the theif's time. I'm also considering a hidden kill switch.

the cadillac man
05-13-12, 02:14 AM
My 05 doesn't lock. Neither does my 07 Saturn Sky, and neither did my previous SUV, an 02 Trailblazer.

Because there is no steering lock it's become an easier mark for thieves. I saw a local report on the Escalade being easy to steal after the Mayor or Councilman (I believe from D.C.) had his stolen. They showed that a lack of a steering lock and cheap metal in the shift column allows a thief to break the shifter out of park quite easily. A thief in a push vehicle pushes the vehicle from the back and the theif is able to steer the vehicle as it's pushed away. The Tahoes and Denalis have the same problem with theft, although the Escalade is #1 on the stolen SUV list and it shows. My Escalade is the highest cost vehicle I have to insure.

About the only way to protect your vehicle is to make it harder to steal and hope the extra few seconds a thief would need to steal it is enough deterrent to make them look for another vehicle. I use, 'The Club' on my vehicles and turn the wheel all the way to one side when I need to park them somewhere other than home or work. The Club is easy to defeat but adds another 15-30 seconds to the theif's time. I'm also considering a hidden kill switch.

I know how you feel about insurance cost me being under 25 I am on teen coverage and it sucks having to shell out each time it is due also I use a club but I will also be doing a hidden kill switch that needs a key to work.

Trulytex
05-15-12, 10:01 PM
Get an aftermarket alarm like Viper

the cadillac man
05-16-12, 02:50 AM
Get an aftermarket alarm like Viper

One problem to that is there is no shop in my area that will even attempt to install a car alarm.