: Catalytic Converter Recall (2005 V8)

amgqmp1
10-19-10, 07:46 PM
I just received a recall letter in the mail from GM. They warn of premature failure of the catalytic converter being a possibility. Anyone else get the same letter?

Ever since I hit 25K miles a few weeks ago it feels like the thing is falling apart. I just had one of those stupid small headlight bulbs go out too. ;)

caddyfat2
10-19-10, 11:19 PM
I need one (letter) since I have a catalytic convertor low effiency bank 2 check engine light that comes on for a week and then goes off for a week and then repeats itself over and over and over. I think I'm getting tired of my Caddy.

EChas3
10-20-10, 12:49 AM
Emission Control Warranty is 80,000 miles in the US. I'd love to see such a letter. Can you upload a scan?

ewill3rd
10-20-10, 09:18 AM
This is a "special policy" that covers V8 SRX 04-05 and STS 05 for 12 years or 200,000 miles.
If this special policy applies to your vehicle and you have codes that indicate a catalyst failure it will be replaced at no cost.

caddyfat2
10-20-10, 10:18 AM
Everytime that my CEL comes on and I make an appointment to have it looked at the CEL clears and once it clears there is nothing the dealer can do for me, I just have to play yo-yo and hope that I can get it to the dealer when the CEL is on.

bbshriver
10-20-10, 10:24 AM
I've got over 60k miles on mine, haven't received any letter.

But I've got 2 recall stickers in the engine bay... no idea what they are for.

blunted
10-20-10, 12:58 PM
I need one (letter) since I have a catalytic convertor low effiency bank 2 check engine light that comes on for a week and then goes off for a week and then repeats itself over and over and over. I think I'm getting tired of my Caddy.

I just got back from the dealer because of this same exact problem. It took them a week to get the converter since it was a "special order" part. That light better not come back on. I have 6 days left on my warranty.. WEEEEE!!

Angus Young
10-20-10, 04:30 PM
Could someone upload this letter, I have had codes P420 & P430 on my 05 STS 1SG for quite some time now, the dealer wants $1900.00 to replace both Cats.

Thanxx in Advance !!!

amgqmp1
10-20-10, 08:34 PM
Here's the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/X85myXnpuBe4DWsHQ-OruA?feat=directlink

The ironic thing is that the catalytic converter on my winter 4X4 ('90 Jeep Cherokee w/199K miles) just clogged up a couple weeks ago. I don't have any reason to suspect a problem with my Caddy at this point. It runs wonderfully and the gas mileage is fine too. I'll keep the letter around though... ;-)

ewill3rd
10-20-10, 09:24 PM
The dealer could replace the cat on a history code, it's dumb to think that a cat will be fine if it failed more than once.

I might be able to copy the text later on, but remember this has to show up on GMVIS (which is now referred to as "investigate vehicle history") before they can do it but it should apply to all the vehicles I listed above.

EChas3
10-21-10, 01:01 AM
I just got back from the dealer because of this same exact problem. It took them a week to get the converter since it was a "special order" part. That light better not come back on. I have 6 days left on my warranty.. WEEEEE!!

Not to worry. A problem reported under warranty establishes your claim regardless. Drive it like you stole it.

lreddiablo
10-21-10, 05:56 PM
I wonder if this has been the trouble I've been having, ever since about 30k miles I guess. I had a post earlier that my CIL would come on, but just before I would notice a decrease in power. The codes I got were talking about camshaft sensor 2 malfunction. got a 05 V8 STS4. Think I will take it back and show them this letter, last time they said they just reprogramed the comp

caddyfat2
10-21-10, 09:09 PM
The codes I got were talking about camshaft sensor 2 malfunction. got a 05 V8 STS4. Think I will take it back and show them this letter, last time they said they just reprogramed the comp

I thought it was for the catalytic converter malfunctions or does it include the camshaft too.

ewill3rd
10-22-10, 09:28 AM
The N* camshaft sensors are not what I would call "robust". They do fail.
This is only an issue if the vehicle turns on the CEL (MIL) for a P0420 or P0430 DTC.

lreddiablo
10-22-10, 05:12 PM
Guess it may be a seperate issue then. I was pulling several codes before but the code I have down is P0390. Just get same symtom, car seems to lose power then CIL comes on. Goes off a couple days later, then comes back again a few days after that

LAC_STS
10-22-10, 05:14 PM
I had a cat replaced on my V6 at 40K something miles on the clock. Free of charge.

My car just ran like crap one day and that was why.

caddyfat2
10-22-10, 10:35 PM
Guess it may be a seperate issue then. I was pulling several codes before but the code I have down is P0390. Just get same symtom, car seems to lose power then CIL comes on. Goes off a couple days later, then comes back again a few days after that

Does anyone know what code P0390 is ?

RippyPartsDept
10-22-10, 11:29 PM
Does anyone know what code P0390 is ?

DTC P0365 or P0390
Circuit Description
The exhaust camshaft position (CMP) sensor is a hall integrated circuit (IC) type sensor that works in conjunction with a single tooth reluctor wheel used to determine the position of the exhaust camshaft. The engine control module (ECM) supplies a 12-volt pull up voltage on the CMP sensor signal circuit. As the tooth on the reluctor wheel passes the CMP sensor, it sends a digital signal which is an image of the reluctor wheel to the ECM. The ECM processes this information to determine the exact position of the camshafts, and to determine the optimum ignition and injection points of the engine. The CMP sensor wiring consists of a 12-volt reference circuit, a low reference circuit, and a signal circuit. If the ECM cannot see a change in the exhaust CMP sensor signal, DTC P0365 or P0390 will set.

DTC Descriptors
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTCs:
• DTC P0365 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Bank 1
• DTC P0390 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Bank 2

Conditions for Running the DTC
• The engine is running.
• DTC P0365 or P0390 runs continuously once the above condition is met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The ECM does not detect a signal from the exhaust CMP sensor for more than 1 second

BaTu
10-23-10, 10:53 AM
I wonder if this has been the trouble I've been having, ever since about 30k miles I guess. I had a post earlier that my CIL would come on, but just before I would notice a decrease in power. The codes I got were talking about camshaft sensor 2 malfunction. got a 05 V8 STS4. Think I will take it back and show them this letter, last time they said they just reprogramed the comp

Unplug each one of the four CPS sensors one at a time, apply some silicone grease, and then plug/unplug each one a few times to clean the contact surfaces.

They're right out in the open, easy to get to, and will cure most intermittent CPS codes...

EChas3
10-23-10, 12:23 PM
Unplug each one of the four CPS sensors one at a time, apply some silicone grease, and then plug/unplug each one a few times to clean the contact surfaces.

They're right out in the open, easy to get to, and will cure most intermittent CPS codes...

I believe you mean dielectric grease. Silicon isn't bad but is not a conductor; dielectric grease is.

(You can't keep Lucas electronics in British cars working right without it. It's the only grease that doesn't leak out of my Triumph!)

ewill3rd
10-23-10, 02:30 PM
The sensors have one bolt that hold them on, move the sensor to another location (they are all the same) and if the code changes, you have your bad sensor.

There are hundreds of things that can turn on the check engine light (MIL).
The V6 cats are totally different than the V8 cats.

BaTu
10-23-10, 02:38 PM
I believe you mean dielectric grease. Silicon isn't bad but is not a conductor; dielectric grease is.

I'm not sure that's right......

No grease is really a conductor, in fact, the term "dielectric" actually means it acts as an electrical insulator (as in dielectric unions for plumbing)

I know what you mean though,,, it's counter intuitive to think about putting something between to conductors and Not having it interfere with the transfer ;) The first time I used something like No-Ox dielectric grease on an aluminum wire to feed the whole house, or on my battery connections (and here I've used Any grease, petro, moly, synthetic) I too was concerned.

I think the purpose of greasing a connection is simply to prevent the elements from causing corrosion, sealing the connection. I can only assume that what's left, in a tightened connector, has little effect on the connection.

It doesn't seem right to me either though,,,, :)

RippyPartsDept
10-23-10, 03:10 PM
it's Dielectric Silicone Grease GM#12345579

I think the idea is to insulate the connection and protect against corrosion etc ...

on the back of the tube it says this

This product is designed to coat the inside of spark plug boots to prevent them from sticking to ceramic insulators. it also retards corrosion by improving boot seal.
and of course there's more uses than for spark plug boots

lreddiablo
10-25-10, 05:12 PM
Well I'm just gonna take it to the dealer, got a little warranty left. Tell them to make sure to actually check out the sensors this time and not just reflash the computer. BTW just got that catalytic converter letter

turnne
10-25-10, 09:37 PM
I just received one of these letters today as well saying the warranty on the cat had been extended to 12 years or 200K miles
It included a reimbursement form if I had had to pay for the repair out of my pocket in the past

Interesting

Warren

EChas3
10-26-10, 01:31 PM
Given the cost of this repair, a 2005 in good condition could be a better deal than some newer ones. I wonder how long the cat's came from that supplier. The forum does contain more reports of bad cats than I would have expected. My '93 Roadmaster still ran fine on the original exhaust & cats (gotta love stainless) after 12 years and 225,000 miles.

Hijack alert!

Are the older STS's better?

I'm not convinced the 6-speed trans is much of a performance improvement; mileage - yes, not sure otherwise. My 2006 downshifts less often than my wife's 2007 under similar driving (but also has lower gearing).

I'm not prepared to say that the 5-speed is better but it is different. For example, it has a selection of '4' so that it never shifts up to 5th. With the 6-speed, you have to go to full manual control to get the same effect.

Angus Young
10-27-10, 08:00 AM
Had my cats replaced yesterday, no more CEL and got my remote start back. The dealer didnt know of this recall yet. Life is Good!!

turnne
10-27-10, 09:29 AM
Given the cost of this repair, a 2005 in good condition could be a better deal than some newer ones. I wonder how long the cat's came from that supplier. The forum does contain more reports of bad cats than I would have expected. My '93 Roadmaster still ran fine on the original exhaust & cats (gotta love stainless) after 12 years and 225,000 miles.

Hijack alert!

Are the older STS's better?

I'm not convinced the 6-speed trans is much of a performance improvement; mileage - yes, not sure otherwise. My 2006 downshifts less often than my wife's 2007 under similar driving (but also has lower gearing).

I'm not prepared to say that the 5-speed is better but it is different. For example, it has a selection of '4' so that it never shifts up to 5th. With the 6-speed, you have to go to full manual control to get the same effect.

To me a mileage improvement would be enough of a reason to have it
Plus I guess there could see some added longevity...is the motor turning less RPM at 70?

Warren

brjndr
10-27-10, 08:58 PM
This thread just saved me $2400 the dealer quoted to have my catalytic converters replaced. I called him with about the recall notice and now it's no charge. Thank you guys so much.

RippyPartsDept
10-27-10, 09:10 PM
so.... a supporting membership is in your future?

Greg00coupe
10-27-10, 09:20 PM
Got my letter too........ don't need it right now but good to have. Hopefully it will end up in the glove box in a few years when I trade off.

caddyfat2
10-28-10, 11:10 PM
I came home from work this evening and found the letter in my mailbox about the cat recall. My OLM is now at 9% so I quess I will call the dealer tomorrow and make an appointment to have an oil change an a cat repair and kill 2 birds with the same stone.

EChas3
10-29-10, 12:31 AM
Why not wait until you have an issue?

sapien
10-29-10, 12:46 AM
will every '05 qualify for this extended coverage? I have no issues w/my car, but nice to know... haven't received a letter but bought it slightly used from a Cadillac dealer, so they certainly have me on file.

rzambrano
10-29-10, 01:05 AM
will every '05 qualify for this extended coverage? I have no issues w/my car, but nice to know... haven't received a letter but bought it slightly used from a Cadillac dealer, so they certainly have me on file.

For us V6'ers I think we are out of luck. The letter specifically stated 4.6 V8's.

ewill3rd
10-29-10, 09:11 AM
Something has to actually fail, you can't just take it in and get new converters.
This is a "special policy" that means if you have the failure outside the normal warranty it will still be covered

caddyfat2
10-29-10, 09:32 AM
Why not wait until you have an issue?

I do have an issue. My CEL comes and goes intermittingly with a funny noise but no performance drop.( OnStar says: catalytic converter low effiency, bank 2).

PS
Called the dealer today and they won't just repair anything without a dianosis first and a certain code must be present to get the free repair

ewill3rd
10-29-10, 10:30 PM
That would be a P0420 or a P0430, and they are catalyst efficiency codes.
Sounds like you might be in for some luck.
Yes it will have to be diagnosed first.

actionj
12-29-10, 10:33 AM
I just got the news from the dealer that the driver side catalytic converter need to be replaced i have 83,000 miles on my 2005 v6 3,000 over the warranty so it's going to cost me over $600.00 to replace does anyone know if the extended warranty covers the v6 also?

RippyPartsDept
12-29-10, 01:37 PM
Ask for a goodwill warranty. Talk to the service manager. If that doesn't work talk to the general manager.

EChas3
12-29-10, 08:25 PM
Some 2005 owners got letters about defective cats. Ask them to check your VIN.

Richey76
12-29-10, 10:44 PM
Just had both cats replaced on my '05 STS at a Chevy house. They tried to charge me at first until I saw this thread and asked them about the recall and voila! They all of sudden noticed a warranty note on thier computer saying that GM was covering both cats for 12 years or 200,000 miles. Got both replaced at no cost.

SLICKALAC
01-19-11, 05:39 PM
Rockin an 05 STS4 here.... I believe my vehicle might quailify for this recall. Has all the syptoms anyway I dont have a extended warranty, I asume it will be covered by Caddy since its their problem

RippyPartsDept
01-19-11, 06:24 PM
check with any cadillac dealership (call them with your VIN ready)

don't wait too long because while they did extend the warranty it's not indefinite

stevenriz
05-09-13, 02:56 PM
I didn't need a letter! My check engine light was on and off like some of the posters here and the dealer replaced them for free and I had over 100k!! HAve trust in GM, I know it's hard but I don't think any manufacture is any better than the others.

shortfur7
05-09-13, 03:03 PM
My light just came on recently also for this same reason. Bank 1 and 2.

EChas3
05-09-13, 08:25 PM
What are the last 6 digits of your VIN?

shortfur7
05-09-13, 11:08 PM
What are the last 6 digits of your VIN?

EChas3
05-09-13, 11:33 PM
That's 'way later than mine. I wonder if I'll qualify.

RippyPartsDept
05-10-13, 12:10 PM
only one way to find out ...

EChas3
05-10-13, 08:27 PM
If it doesn't need cats, it doesn't matter. I just wonder...

shortfur7
05-10-13, 09:01 PM
Mine goes in Monday morning. He said it qualify because the warranty been extended to 12 years or 200000 miles.

The Big Al
06-09-13, 12:31 PM
For the second time this forum has supplied me with great info.

The Catalytic converter problem is not a recall. They call it a warranty adjustment. (or in GM terms a PROGRAM FIX)

On a few models they are guaranteed for 12 years or 200,000 miles.

Mine will be done this week. under GM warranty!

My check engine light came on, I need it corrected for NC vehicle inspection. I could see was a 2k repair coming my way! :(

Thanks for this thread and heads up!

Al

curtc
06-09-13, 12:33 PM
Really wish the 2006's would receive this...Mine went out at 90k :(

turnne
06-10-13, 09:35 AM
This is a "special policy" that covers V8 SRX 04-05 and STS 05 for 12 years or 200,000 miles.
If this special policy applies to your vehicle and you have codes that indicate a catalyst failure it will be replaced at no cost.

I received that letter about a year ago

Warren

captain rob
08-15-13, 02:52 PM
Just had the catalytic converter work done on my 2004 SRX s/115000 and Cadillac honored everything, thanks so much for this site and the money you saved me. Also, thanks Jim Riehl Cadillac of Clinton Township MI for the exceptional service and turn around time.

curtc
08-15-13, 03:17 PM
Every time I see one of these posts I get upset...the 2006's have the SAME issue!!! C'mon Cadillac! My SES light is on due to the driver side cat going out, haven't noticed a huge performance drop off, but definitely notice some. MPG's have stayed pretty close to what they were too so I haven't brought her in yet to get it replaced, got a quote I think for around a grand IIRC, but that was at a GM dealer...I'd just take it to an exhaust shop for this.

Basically hoping/praying there's a recall for the 06's before I pony up the dough, not too optimistic though :(

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-15-13, 04:08 PM
Every time I see one of these posts I get upset...the 2006's have the SAME issue!!! C'mon Cadillac! My SES light is on due to the driver side cat going out, haven't noticed a huge performance drop off, but definitely notice some. MPG's have stayed pretty close to what they were too so I haven't brought her in yet to get it replaced, got a quote I think for around a grand IIRC, but that was at a GM dealer...I'd just take it to an exhaust shop for this.

Basically hoping/praying there's a recall for the 06's before I pony up the dough, not too optimistic though :(

Hello curtc,

I apologize you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. I understand your frustration with the situation. If you would like to further discuss this with us, please reach out via private message and include your VIN and current mileage.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Ludacrisvp
08-15-13, 04:44 PM

Just gut that one then?

curtc
08-21-13, 12:20 PM
Just gut that one then?

Yeah, I've actually been thinking about that...Would have to get O2 sensor delete kits too...How difficult would it be to gut these things? MN doesn't have emissions inspections so I'm good there...

Ludacrisvp
08-21-13, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I've actually been thinking about that...Would have to get O2 sensor delete kits too...How difficult would it be to gut these things? MN doesn't have emissions inspections so I'm good there...
I would imagine something like this:
http://www.rx8club.com/series-i-do-yourself-forum-73/diy-gutting-out-your-catalytic-converter-108878/#post1723995

Gutting your cat.
Get a foot and half to two feet long half 1/2" steel rod or something similar ( Home depot for about a buck ) and a hammer.
Flip the pipe vertically with the front (triangular flange facing up)
stick the rod inside the cat opening and using the hammer keep on whacking the internals until the rod breaks through.
The is made of 2 parts, meaning that there are actually 2 elements inside that pipe, so when you break the first one, shake the pieces out, and continue whacking on it and shaking stuff out until there is nothing left.
Use a light to see inside to make sure that it is empty. When everything is out, you'll see that the inside walls of that (now just resonator) are relatively clear and there is nothing left.

P.S
The dual structure of the cat is actually the reason the car looses power when the damn thing burns out. When the cat goes, the debris from the front part of the converter (which takes most of the abuse) completely clogs up the second portion of it, and blocks that exhaust flow.
Your engine simply can't breathe and so it starts to loose power more and more, and if you continue on pushing it, the cat will eventually clog completely, causing the engine to just shut off.

curtc
08-21-13, 04:22 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun given that the cats are part of the exhaust manifolds...

Ludacrisvp
08-21-13, 05:49 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun given that the cats are part of the exhaust manifolds...

Never said it would be easy or fun.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

1BadCadSTS
08-21-13, 07:02 PM

Madtuner can delete emissions codes.