: Truck broke...

nathanjax
10-19-10, 04:29 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/04%20Escalade/misc/Tow.jpg

And off she goes....

On my way home from Monday Night Football and getting our butts spanked (which is another story), I got about 4 miles from my house and she broke on me. Truck just went in to neutral and 80mph on the freeway. Luckily, I was at my exit so I coasted off. I still have reverse, 1st and 2nd, but when it tries to shift to 3rd, NOTHING, like it's in neutral.

So, it got towed to my fathers shop (he's a mechanic) and it looks like I'll be having my transmission rebuilt... 04 with under 80,000 miles...

bstiffmanofsteel
10-19-10, 06:13 PM
Ouch! Sorry dude...

Gale Hawkins
10-19-10, 08:13 PM
Sorry to hear that. I had the same thing happen to our 2002 Blazer.

After lunch I ran by the local Cadillac dealer with my VIN and the service manager ran me a history of covered services rendered. It turns out our 2003 got a new valve body at 38,198 miles then at 39,452 miles they totally replaced the transmission so the current transmission only has 63K miles vs. 103K miles so I guess these 4L60/65's are not bullet proof.

As a thought I went with a Jasper remanufactured unit in the Blazer with 75K coverage including labor. The previous owner had a remanufactured GM Goodwrench put in the motorhome when the same thing happen.

Yours may just be a selenoid that can be replaced by dropping the pan. Do you know it the transmission had ever been serviced which is not due to 100K?

If it is a electronic failure than nothing short of replacing it will help. If it was just due to a valve sticking and I was planning replace it anyway I would try to drive it 50+ miles after adding a can (16oz) of Sea Foam. Red line in 2nd is 80 MPH so I would not drive it over 45/50 MPH. I just ran a can for 200 miles in the Escalade and 120 miles in the Blazer before doing the bucket flush that Patrick posted but I have never put Sea Foam in a sick transmission but just to clean varnish out of the valve body that is a by product of ATF.

luxurylife33
10-19-10, 08:44 PM
O damn and you were going to sell it soon...makes me wanna sell mine quickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

by the way, do you think that 4"/5" drop you have has anything to do with the tranny getting abused?

nathanjax
10-19-10, 08:53 PM
The tranny will be replaced by the end of the weekend. A friend of my fathers will do it at his transmission shop for $900. So free labor to take out/put in the tranny and i'll be good to go.

Maybe it will help the sale of it knowing the transission has just be replaced... hahaha

Lux, don't think it had anything to do with it. The tranny itself isn't pushed any harder by it being lowered (I wouldn't think)

Gale Hawkins
10-20-10, 02:32 AM
That is good you can get back on the road for only $900. It cost me $2200 to get back on the road.

For the life of me I do not see why ALL Escalades did not get the 4L80-e transmission. 6,000 pounds is just too much for a passenger car transmission.

After loosing the one in the Blazer at 107K miles that was at least the second 4L60-e installed in it and now on the third one which is a Jasper it is clear they are on the light side. Then learning today the Escalade got a new one at 40K miles which meant new ATF and seeing how dirty it was after only 60K miles when pumping it all out into a clean white bucket I have decided to do a total ATF change out every 30K miles or every three years depending on which one comes first.

I think the best way to save our Escalade transmissions is to keep clean ATF in them and use Tow Mode all of the time especially if not on flat freeways. They just have the default line pressure to give that shift for old men set so low they just slip too much to not go out. If the fluid shears much then the line pressure drops even more.

nathanjax
11-08-10, 07:48 PM
UPDATE:

Well, after a week I got it back. It looked as if the person before me towed with it and never used tow mode because the clutch pads between the gears were gone (if I'm making sense)

I ended up putting a small shift kit in it and that's it. Everything else was went through and made sure it was all good. Total repair bill? $260. It's nice to have a father as a mechanic and will to help me when I need it.

Tonight, it goes for sale on craigslist. Just under 77,000 miles. We'll see what it sells for. If it sells as is, I wil be selling all my factory suspension including air ride suspension in good working order when takin off. If it doesn't, all will be put back to stock and all the aftermarket stuff will be for sale.