: How far north can I drive before I run out of basic civlization?

Jesda
10-19-10, 04:56 AM
http://www.q45.org/gallery/gallery3/var/resizes/drivenorth.jpg?m=1287474666

Canada is mysterious to me. Its cold, its far, and because of its vastness it seems more distant than a flight across either ocean. After I come back from Thailand this winter, I want to head to Canada in the spring.

How far north can I go before running out of paved roads and basic services? I kind of want to stay near a national park and take some pictures. I want to go alone.

dkozloski
10-19-10, 05:06 AM
Paved road runs out at about the Yukon River bridge on the Dalton Highway. Borrow somebody elses car if you plan on driving all the way to Deadhorse. The Alaska Highway is paved all the way.

Night Wolf
10-19-10, 11:11 AM
Sounds like a perfect trip to take the Jeep :)

Submariner409
10-19-10, 11:20 AM
How far north can I go before running out of paved roads and basic services? I kind of want to stay near a national park and take some pictures. I want to go alone.

Just a tad up I-95 from the VA/NC border.

Ranger
10-19-10, 12:43 PM
How far north can I go before running out of paved roads and basic services?
I think it may vary depending on what province you are in.

V-Eight
10-19-10, 12:47 PM
^ This.

Stingroo
10-19-10, 01:05 PM
Jesda should roadtrip to the NW Passages.

ThumperPup
10-19-10, 01:26 PM
you Jesda hit me up when you get back from over seas
im up to a trip like this oh shoot you would have to smuggle me into canada some how first lol

EcSTSatic
10-19-10, 02:57 PM
I think you need a passport now.

ThumperPup
10-19-10, 04:14 PM
I think you need a passport now.

A passport wont help me get into Canada some here already know iv bene deported from Canda and also been turned away a few tims since

just some stupid stuff but im working on getting a visa temp grant to get into canada but its not easy

i have a passport i travel to China Philipines Israel and France ones each year to each place

dkozloski
10-19-10, 04:38 PM
If you make the trip in the summer months there is no need for Jeeps, AWD, and the like. I'd recommend a good road touring car like a late model CTS or STS. I've made the trip dozens of times over the years and suffered no rough road damage until I got to the potholes of the lower 48. There are plenty of places for service and plenty of places to stay. If you want to save some money there are many suitable campgrounds to pitch a small tent to sleep in. You definitely need a good camera and lots of money. If you're serious PM me and I'll try to answer any questions.

creeker
10-19-10, 06:35 PM
Jesda, hope you make the trip to the far north, if I was introducing someone to an example of Canada, I would suggest they enter through Washington state (blaine) and up to vancouver (1 hour) Vancouver has everything you could want, cosmopolitan or rustic, right on the coast with beautiful beaches and scenery,then you could go to Vancouver island and tour around there, (ferry ride 2 hours), beachside cabins and cottages and some laid back places, I would say it's almost a must to go to alberta ,the road trip is fantastic, lots of road side stops, and most of all the rocky mountains and glaciers, Banff national park, lots of wildlife roaming around, you will also learn first hand that not all of Canada is snowy and cold, I live near Vancouver and it is now 70 degs. and the sun is shining, I think the info. I just gave you could easily eat up a lot of time just touring
around, it would take you forever to run out of paved roads and amenities, we are not all that desolate. Oh, I almost forget, Hmmmm ! Canadian bacon.

Stingroo
10-19-10, 08:06 PM
Canadian bacon is a sham and an impostor of real bacon.

Dislike.

creeker
10-19-10, 08:31 PM
Canadian bacon is a sham and an impostor of real bacon.

Dislike.

Is that all you got out of this thread ?.

Stingroo
10-19-10, 08:34 PM
Basically. :lol:

Jesda
10-19-10, 08:35 PM
If you're serious PM me and I'll try to answer any questions.

I'll definitely be doing that. Thanks!

Is that all you got out of this thread ?.

He did make a valid point. :D

RippyPartsDept
10-19-10, 08:37 PM

:histeric: ... wait.... i used to live up there :cool2:

Stingroo
10-19-10, 08:37 PM
:thumbsup: Jesda understands.

:bacon: :bacon2:

creeker
10-19-10, 08:50 PM
:histeric: ... wait.... i used to live up there :cool2:

Where did you used to live ?.

RippyPartsDept
10-19-10, 09:02 PM
New Hampshire... (north of the NC/VA border)

orconn
10-19-10, 09:08 PM

It's really just semi-uncivilized from the NC border to Richmond, from there on things deteriorate by the mile! As you approach Fredericksburg, VA you are about to enter one of the most uncivilized regions of North America ... the Mid-Altlantic, this human jungle stretches north to New England and doesn't return to civilized human habitation until you pass over the Canadian border.

hueterm
10-19-10, 09:36 PM
Are you driving from St. Louis, or flying somewhere and renting a car?

Ontario north and west of Toronto turns into pretty much wilderness. Not mountainous, but lakes and forests.

However, if time and money aren't an issue, I'd skip the wilderness and just drive straight to the Banff Springs Hotel in Banff, AB or to Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City....

orconn
10-20-10, 12:29 AM
I highly recommend the Chateau Frontneac and the Cite de Quebec!

Jesda
10-20-10, 12:36 AM
http://www.dam.brown.edu/people/glin/Trip_in_Canada/postcards/Quebec-city/Chateau-Frontenac-Hotel.jpg

WHOA!

Though the goal is to intentionally get lost and as far from civilization as I can before putting myself in danger, I think I HAVE to check this place out.

hueterm
10-20-10, 01:24 AM
There's plenty of wilderness north of Quebec City if you're so inclined....

Eldo1953
10-20-10, 01:50 AM
Thompson, Manitoba. Google it. It will give you the feel of the far far north without going as far...

The-Dullahan
10-20-10, 04:22 PM
I want to go alone.

Famous last words. Either that, or you know you're infected.

Actually, I am quite the same about travel. If you are going out into the middle of nowhere, just make certain you have everything you may need (First Aid kits are not essential supplies and they are for cowards)

The-Dullahan
10-20-10, 04:24 PM
WHOA!

Though the goal is to intentionally get lost and as far from civilization as I can before putting myself in danger, I think I HAVE to check this place out.

Yeah, all the cool architecture is in The Northlands. I've never seen a castle in the South, except that ugly fiberglass one, but we had a nice collection of them in Pennsylvania and I've heard it told they extend through New England and are to be found throughout Canada-Land too.

RippyPartsDept
10-20-10, 06:04 PM
anyone hear of the "castle in the clouds" ??
it's back home in NH
http://www.hotelblogs.com/anchorageatthelake/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/CastleSky.jpg http://littlefieldnh.com/photos/towns/Castle_In_The_Clouds.jpg http://www.hikenewengland.com/images/CastleInTheClouds080127-01-Castle.jpg