: 85 fleet ht4100 fwd

2010 tank
10-19-10, 12:55 AM
when i turn the key, to where the check engine light turns on. i here a loud clicking like something is being primed or turning over. is that normal it clicks 3-4 times. is it the fuel pump? thanks

daniel58
10-20-10, 02:34 AM
You should not be able to hear the fuel pump from inside tha car, usually you have to take the gas cap off and listen at the filler to hear it. This sounds more like the starter is not getting enough power from the battery. Does the eng turn over and start? You may need to get a helper to allow you to stand out side the car to determine exactly where the sound is coming from. This could be an electrical issue, where something is trying to operate but has loose connections or a bad relay, hard to say from here.

carnut
10-20-10, 10:07 AM
Just a guess, but look at the gas pedal when this clicking is happening. If you see the pedal going up and down to the noise, then the ISC needs adjustment. There are stickys on this site to guide you thru ISC retraction and base adjustment. Turning the key to run should cause the ISC to extend and stay extended anticipating the engine starting. Another ticking can come from the climate control programmer behind the glove box. If the plastic gear within it has a stripped section, it will ratchet trying to set the blend door to the temp displayed.

2010 tank
10-21-10, 02:25 AM
carnut, that is exactly what i feel, the gas pedal moving and the car wont start either just turns over. thanks for the replies

carnut
10-21-10, 03:16 AM
Now we get the "rest of the story" wont start! With the air cleaner lid removed and a buddy cranking the engine, do you see 2 sprays of fuel from the injectors? If so, then we have no or weak spark. Or the engine is out of time. Get a timing light hooked up and while this same buddy cranks the engine verify the light shines as the timing marks align. This will determine 2 things, 1 the engine has spark, 2 the timing is correct or not. report back. Is it bad? No, it just means the ISC needs an adjustment after you figure out why it wont start. And if no spray of fuel then we have injector fuses blown or no power to the fuel pump. Basic diagnosis on any engine. Must have fuel and spark at the proper time to run.

2010 tank
10-22-10, 01:00 AM
thanks carnut, will try to diagnose it this weekend. this all happened after i bought and drove it home. then i did an oil change and thats all she wrote never started again.

carnut
10-22-10, 01:33 AM
Just above the oil filter is the oil pressure sender screwed into the oil filter adapter. If the wiring connector to this oil sender is loose, partially on, it will cause the fuel pump to get no voltage, hence, no start! did you knock it loose? when you installed the new filter. If thats it, I will require a case of Bud Light!!!

2010 tank
10-22-10, 01:54 AM
i think i spilled some oil on it, you think thats what did it, just checked code and i got e47 and f48. thanks for the help. i am new to the cadillacs, used to the imports.

ehall
10-24-10, 02:14 AM
One of the stickies on the main page of this sub-forum has the OBDI codes -- http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/ht4100-4-1-4-5-4/21558-obd-i-codes-4-x-engines.html

E47 - BCM-PCM Data Problem
F48 - Refrigerant System Problem

E47 does not sound good

carnut
10-24-10, 02:43 AM
If each code only displayed twice then that code is a history code, It must display three times for it to be current. I put no importance on history codes. I erase them. They could be 2 days or 12 years ago. Do you have injector spray? Do you have a timing light flashing as you crank the engine? Spilling oil on the oil sender will not affect it.

2010 tank
10-24-10, 04:59 PM
thanks, i will see about the codes today.

2010 tank
10-24-10, 05:03 PM
One of the stickies on the main page of this sub-forum has the OBDI codes -- http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/ht4100-4-1-4-5-4/21558-obd-i-codes-4-x-engines.html

E47 - BCM-PCM Data Problem
F48 - Refrigerant System Problem

E47 does not sound good

sorry, i knew what they were just wanted to know if i had to replace the bcm-pcm

nycnftm
12-06-10, 12:07 AM
[/QUOTE] Another ticking can come from the climate control programmer behind the glove box. If the plastic gear within it has a stripped section, it will ratchet trying to set the blend door to the temp displayed.[/QUOTE]

Hey, browsing and you solved my problem :)

carnut
12-06-10, 04:40 AM
No problem! Merry Christmas!