: Can't see with HID's

balbright
10-18-10, 10:20 PM
Just bought this 04' Escalade. Has HID headlights. I'm afraid to drive it a night cause they ain't bright. I parked about 10 feet away from a white wall. When i turn the headlights on, they start bright, then step down one notch in brightness, then step down again and stay there. Does the same when it comes on automatically.
The unit only has 65,000 one owner miles and I've never had a vehicle with HID's. Are your headlights bright? i am aware of the principles of hid's as alot of our big-rigs have them.
Any help is very appreciated. Thanks.

RippyPartsDept
10-18-10, 10:31 PM
possibly just the bulbs... i'm not sure how to tell though
could be the ballasts though too

wild1
10-18-10, 11:19 PM
Sounds like you have an issue. Mine stay bright.

TheCaddyKidd
10-19-10, 01:10 PM
When you turn the lights on they should not be at full output... True hid's have to "warm up"... By this i mean that when you turn the lights on they should flash on the slowly get brighter and brighter.. They will not be at full output until after a few seconds... Are you 100% that they are true HID's?? Are they factory or aftermarket??

RippyPartsDept
10-19-10, 05:24 PM
i can check (by VIN) if your truck came w/ factory HID lamps

balbright
10-19-10, 09:49 PM
Yup. They are true factory HID's. I know the original owner. He's 70 years old and bought it new. I know he did very little night driving, but played the heck out of golf.
The headlights come really bright when first activated then dim down 2 steps. even after being on 15 minutes, there's still not enough light to night drive safely. I've even tried re-aiming. my 04 has the hid's on the top and the high beams directly below them.
When we get back to Missouri, it's going to the dealership. Right now, we're making our way back from a vacation in Colorado. When the lights finally settle on a voltage, they appear to flicker for just a few seconds.
I can bring my serial number in the motel tomorrow night, but I'm sure they're hid.
Thanks, all. I sure appreciate your kindness. I'll keep ya informed.

balbright
10-24-10, 07:19 AM
I switched the 8866 relays in the fuse box under the hood with another of the same part number. The lights now come on lower then brighten up. I think I can live with it now. I'm going to buy a new high and low beam relay just to e safe. Thanks to all who helped. Thanks Chris for running the vin for me.

luxurylife33
10-24-10, 11:33 AM
It sounds like a ballast issue, not the relay. When I drive at night I can see much better than any car I have ever owned with halogen lights. Somethings wrong, it shouldn't be like that.

RippyPartsDept
10-24-10, 05:00 PM
yeah, after talking it over with some of my techs their initial thoughts were that the ballasts were going bad - seems odd that both would go at the same time though (at least to me... they might have a different idea about that)