: Starter/Ignition System Just Dies

lot-49
10-18-10, 08:47 PM
I have a 2005 STS, 6-Cyl engine. Twice in the past few months, the car has died as follows:

It was running fine, then I turned off the engine for a few minutes. When I went to turn it back on, the engine did not turn over, the usual bright lights on the dashboard did not light up (although a few lights did), and there was no spring to the brake pedal.

In both cases, a jump start would not fix the problem and the car had to be towed to the dealership. Both times, they failed to find the cause of the problem (the first time, they claimed an under-the-hood ignition fuse had blown, but they could find no reason for it). The second time, no blown fuse, but the starter did "click" when I tried to start the car - it just wouldn't turn over.

So, the dealership cannot tell me what's wrong, only that it's electrical and "somewhere near the starter - or in the starter itself."

One more data point: the first time it happened, the car had just been through a smog check, so the guy had been revving the engine for a few minutes. The second time it happened, I'd just been driving kind of hard on the freeway (in a bit of a hurry). The dealership has this theory that the problem may be somehow thermal-related.

Anybody had something like this happen?

KRSTS
10-19-10, 02:17 PM
I'l bet you have a weak cell in the battery.

caddyfat2
10-19-10, 03:23 PM
It sounds like the starting system is not getting enough juice for the starter to turn over but sorry to say but prepare yourself because a lot more crap like this is on the way (hopefully not but be prepared).

EChas3
10-20-10, 12:18 AM
Replace the battery. It's a cheap repair. If the problem persists, start thinking starter. It may be spendy at a dealer but not bad for a good Do-It-Yourself-er