: Should i change my transmission fluid?

buddabless7
10-18-10, 09:16 AM
I have an 06 v8 with almost 95k miles on it. I feel and hear a slight thump when i shift gears from reverse into drive and vice versa. should i consider changing my transmission fluid or can changing your trans fluid potentially damadge your transmission?

C&C
10-18-10, 11:36 AM
If the noise you are hearing is a soft 'clunk' it may be your universal joint(s) going bad. As they get old they can loosen up somewhat and cause the noise you might have described. (In the 'olden days' there used to be zerk fittings that needed to be periodically grease but now a days they are lubed for life and are not serviceable.)

And unless you transmission is totally 'gunked up', a transmission service should not harm your transmission. There are some reports that after a transmission flush (a tranny) then became troublesome; this probably due to flushing deposits that were stationary and not causing harm to be re-introduced to the switching body and lodging in improper passages causing shift problems.

rzambrano
10-18-10, 02:37 PM
I have the same problem when goin from D->R or vice versa.

turnerbend
10-18-10, 03:45 PM
Check your engine and transmission mounts. Could be busted, this happen often on performance cars.

rzambrano
10-18-10, 05:17 PM
If you check out some other thread I started, it was already diagnosed to have at least 1 motor mount bad. There is still a clunk in the car when coasting to stop.

SlickCityStan
10-18-10, 08:16 PM
At 95k your only 5k short of the factory recommended trans service any way. The thump could also be a broken rear differential bushing

rzambrano
10-18-10, 10:19 PM
At 95k your only 5k short of the factory recommended trans service any way. The thump could also be a broken rear differential bushing

That is what the service guy said it might be. Since no lifts were available on Sat, I'm going back on Wed. Any price on the replacement of that?

SlickCityStan
10-19-10, 03:59 PM
:crying2
That is what the service guy said it might be. Since no lifts were available on Sat, I'm going back on Wed. Any price on the replacement of that?parts: $19.00, labor(wait for it!)-----$553.13:crying::mad2::crying2:

rzambrano
10-19-10, 09:15 PM
:crying2parts: $19.00, labor(wait for it!)-----$553.13:crying::mad2::crying2:

You yanking my chain?

amgqmp1
10-19-10, 10:11 PM
I was surfing through the STS manual the other day and it indicated that the fluid never needs to be changed unless used in certain "extreme" driving conditions. Stop-and-go city traffic was one of those conditions. In "extreme" conditions the manual indicated a 50K mile change interval. I'm only at 25K miles now, but I intend to have mine changed if I still have the car at 50K and intend to keep it.

It wouldn't surprise me if the labor is that high. I'm assuming the pan has to be dropped to replace the filter and such. That's what it took on an MB E320 I used to own. Labor and parts for that thing were around $450 for a tranny fluid change.

EChas3
10-20-10, 12:01 AM
Trans fluid doesn't have as hard a job as engine oil. Oil has to lubricate, seal, clean & cool. In modern engines, it has the 5th task of hydrolic fluid.

Trans fluid's primary job is hydrolic fluid to drive a torque converter. It also cools. Automatic transmissions don't need much of the rest and a sealed unit that is not abused can go 200,000 miles as long as the seals don't start degrading. To be honest, the odor test can tell as much as the fluid level to an expert.

SlickCityStan
10-20-10, 09:24 AM
You yanking my chain?sorry I didn't see your post last night. But NO!!! That is what I was charged. I have a extended warranty with $50.00 deductible.

rzambrano
10-20-10, 11:46 AM
sorry I didn't see your post last night. But NO!!! That is what I was charged. I have a extended warranty with $50.00 deductible.

Wow, well see what the verdict is. Im going back to the shop later today.

M.A.C
10-20-10, 10:37 PM
I was quoted $200 by a dealer to change transmission fluid and filter. There is no way I would spend $550+ for a trans fluid change. That's highway, or should I say, "shop" robbery--better yet, I'll just say, ROBBERY! lol!

SlickCityStan
10-20-10, 10:55 PM
I was quoted $200 by a dealer to change transmission fluid and filter. There is no way I would spend $550+ for a trans fluid change. That's highway, or should I say, "shop" robbery--better yet, I'll just say, ROBBERY! lol!that price was for replacing a rear differential bushing not for trans service. It was in reference to the OP's remarks about the clunk of thump he was hearing

M.A.C
10-21-10, 01:28 AM
that price was for replacing a rear differential bushing not for trans service. It was in reference to the OP's remarks about the clunk of thump he was hearing
As the late Gilda Radner use to say: "Never mind!"