: This guy is doing major stuff

johnny kannapo
10-17-10, 08:45 PM
A IMO well documented bottom & top end rework & thought it was worthy of sharing this guys work. Although some of the photos are difficult but still useful. I just was thinking this may help someone. This guy needs to look into Sure Grip studs.

http://carrollcustomcadillac.com/RepairArchives.aspx

ThumperPup
10-18-10, 12:26 AM
wow and pulling them out the top all day long it looks like there

98eldo32v
10-18-10, 03:23 AM
Thanks for posting!! Very informative.

Just looking at the pictures I can see the angle he had the engine crane at for pulling the engine out the top. This is the method I plan to pull my motor so actually seeing is believeing. At the salvage yards around here the northstar a removed from the top all day, but it was good to see the way the motor was removed.

Very good tips and suggestions to avoid issues.

Thanks again!!

ponyboyt
10-18-10, 09:03 AM
why the drivers side headlight on that STS?

Submariner409
10-18-10, 09:03 AM
Refreshing to see good, clean, thorough engine work. There are still some craftsmen around............

johnny kannapo
10-18-10, 01:24 PM
I randomly stumbled upon the site and it did a reasonable overview of the step by step.

His pricing looked down to earth for what ever you need on the menu.

The guy needs to get the grease of the camera lens, better detail & non skewed pics would be better.

vincentm
10-18-10, 02:23 PM
He's not that far from me either, like maybe 2 hours away. I sent him a link to Jake's site.

maeng9981
10-19-10, 12:38 AM
Good explanation on overheating & head gasket issues on his website too-
http://carrollcustomcadillac.com/Overheating.aspx

By the way I need some guys like him in DFW TX area.

vincentm
10-19-10, 10:23 AM
Called and spoke to him yesterday, he has a 500 mi pick up radius, but i've a friend that will take my Eldorado to him, he states he has a 5 yr/unlimited mile warranty, and if the head gaskets go after 5 years he'll replace it for free. Going to be taking my ride to him, $1,950 for the job, i can't beat that, he also says his fix is permanent.

98eldo32v
10-20-10, 12:49 AM
Not to say that the inserts don't work and you're not getting a deal, but if it's not the studs I'd personally will pass.

97EldoCoupe
10-21-10, 08:51 AM
Not bad. This guy needs to be using studs. Some claim timeserts never fail - why do I get about two calls a week that go like this?:

"I installed timeserts in the engine and "X" number of them pulled - can I still use your studs?"

I don't know what the percentage rate of timesert failure is but if it's even 5% it's too much. Dan at Folsom Cadillac in California called me and ordered a set of studs because their "big-serts" failed and the only other option was a new engine. I told him if it didn't work for him, he could return the kit. He called back with a thank you - saved the dealership (warranty repair) the cost of a new engine.

I had a call from a guy in PA who told me the cost of my kit was "astronomical" and an email this morning stating it was $100 over the cost of a "sert" kit -

What is it really worth to have engine repair that you know will not fail, with a guarantee behind it?

I need to get these guys signed on to my INNRS system -

vincentm
10-21-10, 11:07 AM
Not bad. This guy needs to be using studs. Some claim timeserts never fail - why do I get about two calls a week that go like this?:

"I installed timeserts in the engine and "X" number of them pulled - can I still use your studs?"

I don't know what the percentage rate of timesert failure is but if it's even 5% it's too much. Dan at Folsom Cadillac in California called me and ordered a set of studs because their "big-serts" failed and the only other option was a new engine. I told him if it didn't work for him, he could return the kit. He called back with a thank you - saved the dealership (warranty repair) the cost of a new engine.

I had a call from a guy in PA who told me the cost of my kit was "astronomical" and an email this morning stating it was $100 over the cost of a "sert" kit -

What is it really worth to have engine repair that you know will not fail, with a guarantee behind it?

I need to get these guys signed on to my INNRS system -

I'll call him today and ask if i can have them use your kit when i have them do my HG's. I'll most likely be buying your kit tomorrow Jake. If you can call Carroll's and talk to them that would rock.

97EldoCoupe
10-21-10, 01:14 PM
I'll probably call them a bit later on -

Thanks Vincent!

Also "Carr Vancouver" (GM/Cadillac Dealership) in Vancouver, Washington uses my studs now as well. Don't know how far you are from them -

vincentm
10-21-10, 04:31 PM
I called Carr, they're $4,000, but they did confirm with me your studs are great, Vancouver WA is about a 3 hour drive from me. Going through a divorce, money is an issue. If i can get CArroll's to use your studs on my HG job, id' be soo happy