: Name your MPG!!!

Aron9000
10-17-10, 04:39 AM
With all this talk about the new Volt, I feel its appropriate to see what sort of mileage everybody is getting.

Name your:
miles per gallon(miles driven since last full tank/gallons to put the tank at full again)
Type of car
Engine
Transmission/rear gear ratio if there are different options for your car
Type of driving done to get that mpg
Type of gas used(brand and octane)
Any performance mods done to the car.

So my shaped like a brick 1991 Brougham with the TBI 350 Chevy V8 got 20mpg on the last fill up.:bouncy:

I usually drive about 70% of my miles on the highway, 30% in stop and go traffic. That car will do about 24mpg at a steady 80mph on a road trip, about 14-15 in heavy traffic.

I had been averaging about 17mpg doing my normal thing. I usually fill up with cheap 87 octane Kroger gas, that 20mpg fillup I was using Shell. I filled up again with cheap Kroger gas and I'm curious to see if that made a difference.

Actually now that I think about it, since its cooled down I'm not running the a/c nearly as much, so that could've made a difference as well.

Jesda
10-17-10, 07:42 AM
01 STS N* - 17mpg in mixed driving. Usually I cruise around the parkway at night but a couple times a week I have to sit in rush hour traffic. I almost always use Shell V-Power unless I'm heading home before Costco closes, in which case I top off with their 91.

Sevillian273
10-17-10, 10:02 AM
15.37mpg - no highway - heavy foot.

93 octane shell

2.98FDR

MSD 6A & accessories
13 deg timing
flowmaster 80
smog delete
180 deg T-stat
Bosch III injectors

Had better mpg when stock but it was slowwww. I dont mind spending more on gas for a more enjoyable driving experience.

Never done enough highway on one tank to calculate real hwy mpg but I'd guess about 17-18

mhamilton
10-17-10, 11:19 AM
27 mpg
2000 Eldorado ESC
LD8 N* w/ 3.11 final drive
Mostly highway (80% highway/20% city). Mostly commuting, like to set cruise control whenever I can.
BP, Exxon, or Shell 89 octane

If I'm not doing interstate driving it goes down to 24 mpg pretty quickly. I'm also probably one of the most gentle drivers (whether that's a good or bad thing lol), in city acceleration I don't even touch 2k rpm. Every now and again I'll give it a good WOT, but that tends to consume more oil than help anything.

Drove a '97 Eldo ETC in city-only, got 12 mpg :-P

drewsdeville
10-17-10, 11:58 AM
15.37mpg - no highway - heavy foot.

93 octane shell

2.98FDR

MSD 6A & accessories
13 deg timing
flowmaster 80
smog delete
180 deg T-stat
Bosch III injectors

Had better mpg when stock but it was slowwww. I dont mind spending more on gas for a more enjoyable driving experience.

Never done enough highway on one tank to calculate real hwy mpg but I'd guess about 17-18

We should both take our cars out, recrod 0-60 videos and see what the differences are. It'd be interesting :)

1990 Cadillac Eldorado
4.5L PFI
I use whatever fuel is on the way. I don't believe in shopping for fuel.
All stock, but largerly refreshed.

Best of 27.2 highway over 300 miles. Normally get anywhere between 25.5-26.5
Average around 19.9 consistently throughout this past summer.

1995 Sedan Deville
4.9L PFI
Same fuel as above.

Can't remember any bests for this car. Normal highway mileage is 24.5-25.5, depending on conditions.
Averages around 18mpg consistently.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-17-10, 12:19 PM
2000 Regal GS, Supercharged 3.8L V6, sequential port fuel injection, 76k miles.

22 MPG in mixed driving. Usually, I'm running on the highways across the Twin Cities to go visit different friends and go to different bars and restaurants. If I'm doing purely city traffic, with lots of stoplights and stuff, I'll get about 18mpg, or on the other side of the coin, if I'm driving on the highway long distance, especially at 55-65 mph speeds, I'll get 28.5-29 MPG. Usually though, on the highway, at a steady 70-75, I'm pulling 26 or so.

I always buy 93 octane from a local gas station, whatevers nearby, but I always like Holiday or BP.

drewsdeville
10-17-10, 12:28 PM
Ah, Chads posts reminds me, we should really include highway mpg @ a speed. The difference between 75mph and 60mph on the highway can be huge.

That said, I usually set the cruise at 73mph. The hwy mpg's that I listed are for 73mph.

johnny kannapo
10-17-10, 02:03 PM
E15 is approved for cars 2007 & up by the EPA. This is very sad news. E10 that we all are mandated to use kills our MPG's by around 4.4%. E15 will worsen our mileage close to 7%.

I just don't understand the lodgic in producing less efficient gasoline with the only valid reason being to prop-up the corn producers.

With absolute no enviroment advantage and no accounting for the impact (fertilizers, insecticides, refinement) growing all this corn.

Renewable source, yes, enviromentally friendly?

I think not unless we are eating it.

Submariner409
10-17-10, 02:09 PM
Think of all the Bourbon that very same corn would make. :lildevil:

This thread theme has been the subject of a LOT of posts since 2004. Do some searching back in time - you'll find enough gas mileage discussions to fry your brain.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-17-10, 02:12 PM
Ah, Chads posts reminds me, we should really include highway mpg @ a speed. The difference between 75mph and 60mph on the highway can be huge.

Indeed. When I'm in the Astro, if I'm doing 75-80 mph on the highway, I'm getting about 16.5 mpg or so. If I'm going 55-65, it's much closer to 17.7-18.0 overall. Around town, it's like 13.5-14 MPG.

gary88
10-17-10, 02:14 PM
07 335i, twin turbo 3.0L DI I6, 6 speed ZF auto/3.46 final drive ratio, currently average is 22.3mpg. I drive about 60% city/40% highway and only use Shell 93. On the highway at 70mph I'm around 2200RPM and get about 30mpg.

johnny kannapo
10-17-10, 02:35 PM
I got over 29mpg's driving accross I-40 driving back from LA. I'm sure 26 will be the new normal.

I guess my point is the EPA is naming our mileage ratings & not the manufacturers.

Never see that again from the pump.

Why are there those that let the Feds choose our energy technology, they obviously are screwing this all up.

I know Farmers will suffer from corn prices dropping to only feed the livestock & the masses.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2jIUnPEO0GAX6MObX4GUo8Kd1yzeqc 4fHl0_pX3d0O8DHvgU&t=1&usg=__PNUyv2IXmi5pLq1jEXjW2YvvkHI=

The corn liquor should be left to those who no what to do with it.

Sevillian273
10-17-10, 02:45 PM
We should both take our cars out, recrod 0-60 videos and see what the differences are. It'd be interesting :)

It wouldnt be enough of a difference for a non-enthusiast to justify the money/time spent modding and experimenting. For me though, it's been fun.

I'll have to check if my camera can see the readout....

Down here at sea level I'd bet I have a little more oxygen to work with however in WI I'd bet you have much cooler air.

drewsdeville
10-17-10, 03:46 PM
Aw hell, why not. Hang on to your pants, grandma. We'll be doing 60 in about 9-10 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgMBCqRzlog"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgMBCqRzlog

There you go. Bone stock '90 w/174k, everything functional and there just like from the factory, in tip top condition.

You can at least use it to give a rough idea of the improvements. It is about 65 degrees out while doing this.

As long as I had the camera out, I snapped a picture of the DIC's mpg. Hasn't been reset all summer.

ThumperPup
10-17-10, 04:47 PM
2000 cadillac Sevillle

N 4.6 DOHC 32v 275hp

my best MPG with Regular Unleded E free gas

best MPG i got has been 29 MPG steady on I-80 From Cleveland Ohio to 280 on I-80 To Toledo
i can make it 78 miles just using a tad over 2 gallons of gas

ga_etc
10-18-10, 12:55 AM
In my '99 ETC right now the AVG MPG is showing 19.2. That's around town with a little interstate running and trying to be conscious of how I'm driving. I only run either Shell 91 or BP 91 octane. The worst I ever saw was the week I bought it. Lots of showing off and seeing what the car would do. That netted me an average of just a hair over 13 mpg. The highest I've seen by the dash on the interstate was 27.1 on the way home from FL. Worst hwy mpg was 22 running 89 octane. Last trip I took was last winter to Camp Lejune, NC with two friends in the car with the temp never climbing above 38*. Average for that trip was roughly 23.5.

The '92 Roadmaster is averaging 19 around town on 89 octane with the LO5 350 and a 2.56 rear end. Haven't taken a trip on the interstate yet to see what she'll do.

Stingroo
10-18-10, 01:35 AM
^ I knew I wasn't crazy, dammit. :lol:

I run whatever-the-hell-is-the-cheapest 87 octane. No sense paying for 93.

ga_etc
10-18-10, 01:39 AM
I don't remember off the top of my head if high-test is 91 or 93. But there's really no point in running it in a 350 I think. In the ETC it makes a difference though.

P.S. Yeah you are, that point just isn't relevant to this subject. :P

Stingroo
10-18-10, 01:41 AM
I've never seen 91 before. Everywhere I've ever lived has always been 87, 89, 93. Odd.

Also, isn't the ETC SUPPOSED to run on 91+?

ga_etc
10-18-10, 01:50 AM
I know some stations around here used to have 91 as their premium, but I think it is all 93 now. And yes, the ETC does want the good stuff. The fuel gauge actually says under the needle, "PREMIUM UNLEADED ONLY". So did the three C-Body Devilles we have had. In the Eldo though, the difference between mid-grade and premium on the interstate is 3-4 mpg.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-19-10, 01:11 AM
I don't remember off the top of my head if high-test is 91 or 93. But there's really no point in running it in a 350 I think. In the ETC it makes a difference though.

There is absolutely no reason to run any higher octane in your car than what was recommended. It does not provide any increased power as common belief says, but rather it hinders your cars performance over time. A higher octane will burn slower, which will lead to more carbon deposits, which will cake up on your intake valves, and on your pistons, increasing your compression ratio, which means that you've now got to consistently run the higher octane to get back to the car's normal performance levels. So don't ever run a higher octane than is recommended, but rather stay with what the car asks for.

The 93-99 Northstars require premium unleaded, but the 00+ Northstars had some revisions that allowed for 87 octane just fine.

Jesda
10-19-10, 02:10 AM
The 2000 N* is baffling. It was designed to handle 87, but the manual still says to use premium to get more performance, so I spend the additional 30 cents per gallon since its a heavy car that could use a boost.

mhamilton
10-19-10, 10:55 AM
The 2000 N* is baffling. It was designed to handle 87, but the manual still says to use premium to get more performance, so I spend the additional 30 cents per gallon since its a heavy car that could use a boost.

I never noticed that before! As you said, on my 2000 the fuel gauge says "premium unleaded" while the owner's manual states that less octane is okay with reduced performance.

But I just looked at some saved pictures of '01 and '02 models, they don't have the "premium" label on the dash! I never knew that! Well I'm glad I never tried 87 octane in my car lol, it doesn't need any less performance :)

ga_etc
10-19-10, 12:02 PM
The 2000+ N* also has a slightly different sound to it, or at least it does to me.

jedhead
10-19-10, 01:03 PM
17.4 mpg suburban driving city driving with short runs on the hwy. Worst was 8 mpg but most of the tank was used on the dyno. Best 22 mpg averaging 80+ going to Las Vegas. 91 Octane gas Chevron, ARCO or Costco gas. Some times 50/50 mix with 100 Octane if I know I am going to run hard in hot weather, the engine doesn't pull as much timing on the mix when its 100F outside. The car has a Corsa Cat back and a tune. I am pretty happy with the gas mileage considering the amount of power this engine outputs.

Supercharged 4.4L LC3 Northstar

Bob

ThumperPup
10-19-10, 01:29 PM
I never noticed that before! As you said, on my 2000 the fuel gauge says "premium unleaded" while the owner's manual states that less octane is okay with reduced performance.

But I just looked at some saved pictures of '01 and '02 models, they don't have the "premium" label on the dash! I never knew that! Well I'm glad I never tried 87 octane in my car lol, it doesn't need any less performance :)

is it posible that the dash cluster was ever changed out
if so maybe they put and older one in

becaue i never been in a 2000 plus year caddy that atleast for the sevilel deville and eldorado that i seen premium only in

Night Wolf
10-19-10, 02:15 PM
As for gas, right in my small town and local to me is a Texaco w/ techron!!1!!1!! that is ethanol free - I fill up there only.... if I am on trips I try to stick with Chevron/Shell/Texaco.

mhamilton
10-19-10, 03:41 PM
is it posible that the dash cluster was ever changed out
if so maybe they put and older one in

becaue i never been in a 2000 plus year caddy that atleast for the sevilel deville and eldorado that i seen premium only in

As far as I know nothing has been changed in my car... looking back at pictures of Eldorados, all the 2000s and earlier have "Premium Unleaded Fuel Only" on the fuel gauge. Then the '01 and '02 Eldo gauges say nothing. The '98+ facelift Sevilles only have "Fuel" under the gauge.

Wouldn't surprise me if GM was just using up the last of the old gauge clusters that said Premium in the 2k models... I'm sure they saw no problem putting whatever leftovers they had into the Eldo...

The 2000+ N* also has a slightly different sound to it, or at least it does to me.

I've noticed that too, though I had attributed it to the vin Y vs 9 engines I've driven. Seems like the later engines are a little bit quieter, which makes sense with roller followers (and they also changed the combustion chambers in 2k).

The-Dullahan
10-20-10, 04:02 AM
...10?