: Not locking your car door? You'll be fined.

Jesda
10-17-10, 03:40 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/14/video-philly-suburb-ponders-fining-people-who-dont-lock-their/

Bad news for folks in suburban Philly with convertibles. I'd rather have my iPod stolen than my top slashed.

Stingroo
10-17-10, 09:34 AM
That's the stupidest shit I've EVER heard of in my entire life. Ever. Like one commenter said, police are too "busy" to answer all these vehicle theft calls and do the paperwork, but they're sure as shit ready, willing, and able to chase you down to get you to court to pay a traffic ticket, right?

Corruption and idiocy at its finest. May your deity of choice bless America.

Angry Matt
10-17-10, 09:49 AM
I love how they're always coming up with ways to screw over the decent citizens rather than catching the criminals. It's much easier to generate revenue by catching people that aren't in hiding. I'm currently paying a $1200 ticket from a suburban philadelphia township that is very well know for employing illegals at their many mushroom houses. Rather than do what's right, they have a bunch of hard working american truck drivers lined up in the court room handing out fines and making deals from a bridge they just lowered the weight limit on. It's all a big scam.

ga_etc
10-18-10, 12:36 AM
That is really strange. I wouldn't have to worry about it because it's force of habit for me to lock my car. When you have keyless entry there's really no reason not to. But it still shouldn't be a punishable offense to NOT lock your car. It's your property and if you are careless enough to leave your car and valuables unsecured, it's your own fault if something goes missing. Granted there shouldn't be some A-hole out there snatching stuff out of your car anyway, but you should still have enough sense to lock your doors to keep from making it that much easier for them.

ThumperPup
10-18-10, 01:17 PM
yeah we have a law here we can leave our car doors unlocked and windows down but we cant leave a spare key in hind sight if the doors are locked

im not locking my doors unless the INS company says i have to
why go threw that BS if someone is going to want to steel your car or break into it they will get into it some how or another so why make it so they have to destroyt stuff

gdwriter
10-18-10, 06:32 PM
Stupid law, but I always lock my car unless it's in my garage.

drewsdeville
10-18-10, 06:39 PM
I don't bother.

For one, I don't keep anything valuable in my car. They can go in there, it's cool, they won't find much.

Secondly, If someone really wants to get into your car, locked doors aren't gonna stop them. If someone wants to get into my car, I'd rather them open my door than break my glass, wreck the door with a prybar, or booger up the lock cylinders.

Car alarms are another joke as well. When a car alarm goes off in a grocery store parking lot, no one bothers to look. The effectiveness of car alarms has been offset by the numerous retards out there that set their own alarm off, immunizing everyone else to the sound of an alarm.

drewsdeville
10-18-10, 06:40 PM
double post

Stingroo
10-18-10, 06:49 PM
I don't bother.

For one, I don't keep anything valuable in my car. They can go in there, it's cool, they won't find much.

Secondly, If someone really wants to get into your car, locked doors aren't gonna stop them. If someone wants to get into my car, I'd rather them open my door than break my glass, wreck the door with a prybar, or booger up the lock cylinders.

Car alarms are another joke as well. When a car alarm goes off in a grocery store parking lot, no one bothers to look. The effectiveness of car alarms has been offset by the numerous retards out there that set their own alarm off, immunizing everyone else to the sound of an alarm.

That's kind of my view on the whole thing too. All they'll get is my radio, and god damn, the things are cheap enough now, why bother?

Jesda
10-18-10, 07:26 PM
I don't bother.

Same here. I lock the Seville simply because its easy to do with the remote, but I don't sweat it if I forget to. I also choose to live in a neighborhood that's very safe.

dkozloski
10-18-10, 08:32 PM
Newer Cadillacs lock automatically.

gdwriter
10-18-10, 08:32 PM
Locking my car is simply force of habit, The only thing you can see inside that might be worth stealing is the iPod on the console, and I doubt even that's much of a draw. I also think a thief would find an unlocked car easier pickings than one that's locked.

I usually park right in front of my building at work, so I'd hear the alarm if it went off and could run outside. Cruella's alarm would sometimes go off for no apparent reason, and it was loud. Sabrina doesn't have that magnificent trumpet horn, but it's still plenty loud.

Aron9000
10-19-10, 04:20 AM
I lock my Caddy not for fear of somebody stealing my stuff, but for fear of somebody getting the whole damn car:mad2:

If I ever have anything valuable, it goes in the trunk, out of site, and you can only get in there with the key, the trunk popper doesn't work with the car turned off. As for stealing the car, if you know what you are doing you can break the steering column lock and start it with a screwdriver in 30 seconds. I figure that locking the car is a good way to slow a thief down, and busting out a window is a sure fire way to wake me up in the middle of the night with the perp on the wrong side of a 12 gauge.

ewill3rd
10-19-10, 09:03 AM
I agree with those along the lines of this being more punishment for law abiding citizens and a free pass for criminals.
Seems easier to enforce existing law.
You cannot make freedom of choice illegal.
If you choose to leave your car unlocked and then something gets stolen the police should get in their cars and head back to do something productive. Thus no paperwork at all. Idiocy at its finest.

My car doors are locked unless I am entering or exiting it.
Not much in mine to steal either, a few CDs and who wants those these days?

BlackHammer
10-19-10, 12:55 PM
My car doors are always locked. I don't trust anybody near my car. Its also a force of habit, leave the house lock the house, leave the car lock the car.

The-Dullahan
10-20-10, 04:15 AM
God Damned Philadelphia...

It is important to remember that this isn't happening in Pennsylvania, it is happening in Philadelphia. Pennsylvania as a whole hates Philadelphia so much, we emancipated it from the rest of the state sometime back in the late sixties. Officially, it is still part of the state, but everyone from outside that mentally defective city will tell you Philadelphia is not a part of The Great State of Pennsylvania.

This is in a way the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of, but because I am a Pennsylvania, I would never be in Philadelphia unless they legalized the hunting of it's residents and I always lock my doors anyhow, so I would never be hit with a fine for this asinine law. I can understand where the police force is coming from if 75% of their thefts come from unlocked vehicles, but the two things to remember here are that most of the thefts are not happening to the same people again and again, so unless they remove the "warning" they should not expect results for at least a few years and do they really think that the people thieves will not break into the cars? Yes, on newer cars that must surely have alarms, the thief will be deterred from breaking a window if it can be avoided, but those people are ALREADY locking their doors. The people who aren't locking their doors are not using alarms either and as stated above, thieves are not afraid of breaking windows, not even on cars that clearly have their alarms set.

How about we find a better means of catching and going after the thieves who are stealing from these people? No, they cannot catch them ALL and YES, sting operations and surveillance take up staff hours, but so does doing all that paperwork they're whining about (Only Philadelphia, "city of no shovels or picks" would complain about doing paperwork as if it is actual labour)

Will this help? Yes.
Will it solve anything? No.

The-Dullahan
10-20-10, 04:16 AM
My car doors are always locked. I don't trust anybody near my car. Its also a force of habit, leave the house lock the house, leave the car lock the car.

Agreed. Tragically, some people feel they HAVE to come near my car.

Honestly, I don't trust anybody period. Near my car, away from my car, passing me on the sidewalk, eighty feet away at the grocery, etc, etc.

Aron9000
10-20-10, 04:19 AM

It is important to remember that this isn't happening in Pennsylvania, it is happening in Philadelphia. Pennsylvania as a whole hates Philadelphia so much, we emancipated it from the rest of the state sometime back in the late sixties. Officially, it is still part of the state, but everyone from outside that mentally defective city will tell you Philadelphia is not a part of The Great State of Pennsylvania.

I agree, everybody I've ever met from Philly was a total douche nozzle.

SimonSellsAustin
10-21-10, 12:11 AM
lol, If a thief is skilled enough to steal your car you can bet he's skilled enough to wedge an airbag in your window and unlock the car in under 30seconds. I've had a car stolen and the doors were locked. (I also had a starter kill switch that apparently didn't phase them). I heard the thiefs laughing when they cut the alarm horn after just 2 honks. I reported it stolen the next morning. And Nope I never got it back, thank god.

SimonSellsAustin
10-21-10, 12:15 AM
I used to drive a convertible. I never locked the doors because of the top slashing phobia. I had a keyless remote but I disabled the auto-lock feature. So, the alarm was set but the doors were unlocked. It was an autopager alarm that would vibrate and make a chirping sound If I was withing 1000ft of the car when the alarm went off. I had some jackass throw a huge rock at my back window but never had anyone open the doors.

I think your car is your buisness. If you want to keep the doors unlocked and valuables out of the car then it's your property and your decision.

Stingroo
10-21-10, 12:24 AM
Yeah, top slashing is the worst. Somebody did that to a guy's Mustang on campus here. Slashed the shit out of the top. They must have stood on the hood to do it, because they slashed three huge lines in it that made the whole top fall inside the car's interior.

Sad really.

Slithering_Joe
10-21-10, 09:37 AM

This is in a way the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of, but because I am a Pennsylvania, I would never be in Philadelphia unless they legalized the hunting of it's residents and I always lock my doors anyhow, so I would never be hit with a fine for this asinine law. I can understand where the police force is coming from if 75% of their thefts come from unlocked vehicles, but the two things to remember here are that most of the thefts are not happening to the same people again and again, so unless they remove the "warning" they should not expect results for at least a few years and do they really think that the people thieves will not break into the cars? Yes, on newer cars that must surely have alarms, the thief will be deterred from breaking a window if it can be avoided, but those people are ALREADY locking their doors. The people who aren't locking their doors are not using alarms either and as stated above, thieves are not afraid of breaking windows, not even on cars that clearly have their alarms set.

How about we find a better means of catching and going after the thieves who are stealing from these people? No, they cannot catch them ALL and YES, sting operations and surveillance take up staff hours, but so does doing all that paperwork they're whining about (Only Philadelphia, "city of no shovels or picks" would complain about doing paperwork as if it is actual labour)

Will this help? Yes.
Will it solve anything? No.

Actually, it's Upper Moreland Township, not Philly. Philly is a toilet though.

This is a frigg'n stupid law. But just as stupid is, on my Jeep I have had my top slashed and my window broken all while it was unlocked. All in another Philly suburb.

Jeremy360
10-21-10, 11:17 AM
I lock them every time I get out anyway, with keyless there's no reason not to. If I had a ragtop it might be different, we had our Suzuki Samurai slashed and had the honor of paying for it. $0.65 stolen, $450 flop top, on a real convertible it'd be even worse.

That said I came out of the gift shop in downtown Niagara Falls to see a teenager staring in my window after trying both driver's side door handles. I chased the bastard for about four blocks and not one person did any more than turn to look. I'd probably be in prison if I caught him, some people need to just...spontaneously combust or something.

I'm more a fan of dealing with the actual criminals than the innocent owners trying to protect their convertibles or just plain forgetting to lock it.