: HID Question, CANBUS or not?

rzambrano
10-15-10, 12:09 PM
I am on the hunt to pick up a Phillips xenon set. After searching through this forum, I cannot find my answer. What is CAN-BUS when it comes to HID sets?

Which set do you recommend? Both are Phillips 4300k.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290484709583&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=37813063949

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=150365760630&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=37813063949

BaTu
10-15-10, 12:58 PM
I think the only difference in the two auctions is where they're located (you're paying more for the "all ready imported" one).

Because the Can-Bus communication system can be interfered with, that serial data, by different kinds of spurious emissions AND that fact that the electrical "load" of each device can be monitored by the computer, the whole electrical system has become overly sensitive ;)

That being said, I don't think you would need anything special. The ballasts can always be isolated with a relay if it turned out to be a problem and I think the Phillips ballasts are better about shielding than the cheaper ones.

My truck has Phillips HID Lows and cheap eBay Highs. the ballasts are located together BUT when I turn the Highs ON, my AM radio hums and the ABS light comes on for a few seconds :)

rzambrano
10-15-10, 01:17 PM
BaTu, thanks. I have read many good things about that $179 seller which is why I included. And
I believe those are "2008" edition which i would consider it for warranty purposes.

AllGoNShow
10-15-10, 04:53 PM
Phillips has good kits. I had issues getting my STS' high beams to work (not Phillips) and ended up putting in the halogen bulbs again as I had enough messing around with them.

BaTu
10-15-10, 05:44 PM
And really, halogen is the way to go for your Highs. The delay in the arc striking and full output of an HID makes for a poor High Beam in an emergency situation where you want FULL LIGHT right away.....

AllGoNShow
10-15-10, 05:51 PM
Yes, which is why i chose to stop messing around for a brighter slower light and just go back to the way it should be done :)

rzambrano
10-15-10, 09:17 PM
That's exactly how I had it in my Lexus. I had HID's for lows and maintain the halogen for my highs. Plus it's less expensive since you don't have to replace those. So I guess I'll buy the ones with CANBUS technology. Thanks

EChas3
10-16-10, 09:47 PM
This is why the STS w' OEM HID lifts a blinder for high-beam.

BaTu
10-17-10, 10:01 AM
This is why the STS w' OEM HID lifts a blinder for high-beam.

??????? what's that....?

Must be a different system than what my '05 came with. I have HID projectors for the Lows and my Highs are Halogen.

You have some, mechanical, device that moves something? Like those mickey-mouse "Bi-Xeon" moving bulb aftermarket things?

EChas3
10-17-10, 08:39 PM
:Poke:

Just soemthing I read here. It must be true...

rzambrano
10-17-10, 08:51 PM
Can't help you guys there as I have the halogen setup. Although, yesterday after I cleaned up my headlights (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/212996-had-yellow-blurry-headlights-check-me.html)I, they looked to have a blue tint to them. I know what HID bulbs and ballasts look like, but can you guys point out how can I tell if I have the HID OEM setup without removing fascia, etc.?

BaTu
10-18-10, 10:06 AM
:Poke:

Just soemthing I read here. It must be true...

:bang2: Yup, ya got me - hehehe

I musta missed that one..... luv to see it though, got a link? ;)

EChas3
10-18-10, 10:12 PM
I think the thread was about aligning the headlights. The first poster was certain there was an adjustment that isn't actually there. It could of been from years ago. (About a year ago, work was really slow and I read ALL the STS the archiives - yes, I had to have been BORED!)

rzambrano
10-18-10, 10:17 PM
I think the thread was about aligning the headlights. The first poster was certain there was an adjustment that isn't actually there. It could of been from years ago. (About a year ago, work was really slow and I read ALL the STS the archiives - yes, I had to have been BORED!)

Wow, that must have been some boredom.

EChas3
10-18-10, 10:37 PM
Wow, that must have been some boredom.

Yeah. Now it's non-stop. I had to check something at 3:30 AM this morning and worked a 10 hour day.

But I'm lucky; lucky to have a good job... My wife's been out of work for two years.

rzambrano
10-18-10, 10:48 PM
Yeah. Now it's non-stop. I had to check something at 3:30 AM this morning and worked a 10 hour day.

But I'm lucky; lucky to have a good job... My wife's been out of work for two years.

Glad you enjoy your job. Many others dont.

Psss, 10 hours, try 12 hours!

EChas3
10-18-10, 10:53 PM
Yeah, 2-5PM Saturday. 3-4AM & 7-5 today. No OT pay. But I'm lucky and realize it.

But the STS's are paid for. (Best used car deals on the market in 2008. Not so much, now.)

rzambrano
10-18-10, 11:10 PM
Yeah, 2-5PM Saturday. 3-4AM & 7-5 today. No OT pay. But I'm lucky and realize it.

But the STS's are paid for. (Best used car deals on the market in 2008. Not so much, now.)

I love to hear when car's are paid off. But then again, once it is paid off you want another car. Thats what happened to me. I started with an 07 Tahoe (paid in full, still own), and now that thats paid for, I moved on and got another car, which is my 05 STS

EChas3
10-20-10, 12:29 AM
I respectfully disagree. Car payments are bad karma.

rzambrano
10-20-10, 12:36 AM
Lol, well everyone has their set of opinions, some like debt, others dont, and others have controlled debt.

EChas3
10-21-10, 12:44 AM
Lol, well everyone has their set of opinions, some like debt, others dont, and others have controlled debt.

Ain't life grand?

rzambrano
10-21-10, 01:57 AM
Ain't life grand?

It sure is.

awright
10-21-10, 11:46 AM
I'm a newbie to the site but it has helped me with my '05 STS. Try this site for HID lights (ddmtuning.com). This company has a life time guarantee on their lights if it blows out send it back and they will send you a replacement. Quick turn around time. As you all know to have these installed they must drop the bumper. I'm running RAP35W.H3.6000K in the low beam and in the fogs. Just a hint of blue. I turn on the lights and they are at full brightness within 2 minutes and no humming from the radio. :thumbsup:

AllGoNShow
10-21-10, 12:17 PM
DDM sucks, have fun warrantying your ballasts/ignitors every 6 mths - 1 year, chinese junk.

rzambrano
10-21-10, 01:41 PM
I'm a newbie to the site but it has helped me with my '05 STS. Try this site for HID lights (ddmtuning.com). This company has a life time guarantee on their lights if it blows out send it back and they will send you a replacement. Quick turn around time. As you all know to have these installed they must drop the bumper. I'm running RAP35W.H3.6000K in the low beam and in the fogs. Just a hint of blue. I turn on the lights and they are at full brightness within 2 minutes and no humming from the radio. :thumbsup:

I thought the low beams were H11's and fogs are H3's?

Plus, website that takes 7+ seconds to load, looses my business.

SlickCityStan
10-21-10, 02:11 PM
I thought the low beams were H11's and fogs are H3's?

Plus, website that takes 7+ seconds to load, looses my business.this has nothing to do with HID lighing. but what happened at your recent trip to the dealer about your driveline problem?

rzambrano
10-21-10, 04:04 PM
this has nothing to do with HID lighing. but what happened at your recent trip to the dealer about your driveline problem?

That has everything to do with it, you cant put a bulb where it doesn't belong without modifications. I postponed the visit until Saturday, I had an emergency come up.