: Buying new rotors/pads - advice

Skiller.
10-14-10, 11:22 PM
Next Friday, I will be replacing my rotors and pads. I am unsure whether to get ceramic, or semi-metallic pads. I've heard that you need rotors capable of handling the ceramic pads. Is that true?

I don't want to spend a fortune on the sport EBC rotors (although they are nice), but I also want GOOD quality parts.

I like the idea of ceramic pads because they produce less dust, but I don't want to get ceramic pads with the wrong rotors. I will also be using the pad wear sensors.

I've heard too many things about various rotors. Which rotors??

What would be my best option?

RockAuto has Monroe semi-metallic pads w/ wear sensors for a great price, along with a rebate. Would you use Monroe pads?

Thanks!

Skiller.
10-15-10, 07:31 AM
Also, do I have to bleed the brakes when I am finished??

Submariner409
10-15-10, 08:01 AM
Also, do I have to bleed the brakes when I am finished??

Just the opposite - if your brake fluid reservoir is now full you'll have to remove some fluid before you start: the simple act of pressing in the front pucks and screwing in the rear pucks will return fluid TO the reservoir and it will overflow - keep an eye on fluid level each time you finish a wheel.

You never break into the sealed fluid system while changing rotors and pads - the manual tells you how to hang the caliper up on the suspension without unduly bending or disconnecting the brake line.

Skiller.
10-15-10, 08:27 AM
Thanks Jim! How do you remove fluid? Siphon??

Skiller.
10-15-10, 09:18 AM
I'm leaning towards Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors and ACDelco Durastop ceramic pads...

Would be about $330 shipped for all 4 wheels.

Skiller.
10-15-10, 05:49 PM
Just the opposite - if your brake fluid reservoir is now full you'll have to remove some fluid before you start: the simple act of pressing in the front pucks and screwing in the rear pucks will return fluid TO the reservoir and it will overflow - keep an eye on fluid level each time you finish a wheel.

You never break into the sealed fluid system while changing rotors and pads - the manual tells you how to hang the caliper up on the suspension without unduly bending or disconnecting the brake line.

Also, does the fluid that I siphon out go back in once I finish installing the new pads??

rtalipski
10-18-10, 11:26 AM
I personally have never touched fluid levels during a brake pad replacement (they never fluctuated enough) but when I look up manual it does say...

# Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
# If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
# If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.

so I would say if you needed to siphon any out you probably won't need it.

Just check your reservoir level when your done.

Also just pickup a turkey baster from the dollar store... and just remember not to use it on turkey day... lol

Skiller.
10-18-10, 12:29 PM
Yeah, that's what alldata says as well.

Considering that these pads I'm replacing are fairly new (I'm replacing because they suck), I don't think the pistons have to be pushed back into the caliper much. I might not even have to touch the fluid level, but I will monitor.

Thanks!