: Did I get a deal or a ripped off?

smoke13264
10-14-10, 08:34 PM
My brakes and rotors were dam near gone so asked the dealer how much would the job cost and they said $1400. After I picked my jaw off the ground i went to a local repair shop and he did the job for 800 I still think this was a bit extreme, has anyone paid less?

btw 2007 escalade 64,000 miles I changed the spark plugs as well but now she seems to pull now or maybe I am just losing my mind.:bomb:

bstiffmanofsteel
10-14-10, 09:05 PM
A little high! Pads and rotors all the way around?

ErikU19
10-15-10, 01:23 AM
My 2002 EXT was 200$ in parts for rotors and pads (all 4 w/ceramic pads). Cant imagine the 07+ being much more.

K9Caddy
10-15-10, 03:08 AM
Does it pull when you brake hard? One of you calipers could of gone bad or has crap plugging it up. When some brake shops squeeze the calipers open to get the new pads on, they tend to push crap in the brake line to the caliper causing issues. They do this so they do not have to bleed the brakes.

Btw, that is one pricey brake job... I sure hope they replaced all four rotors for that and gave you a happy ending! :)

m332is
10-15-10, 10:55 AM
Tirerack.com shows ceramic pads and stock style rotors totaling $420 before shipping so add a couple/few hundred for labor. I'd say the range is $600-$800. I replace brakes myself because they are pretty simple to do if you have a floor jack and a good socket set. I used to race a car with BMW Club Racing and SCCA Club Racing, so you learn fast how to do brakes... and you save yourself about $400 every time. Then again, your friends show up with a 6 pack and ask you to help them change thier brakes too :)

Vince

mdadgar
10-15-10, 07:41 PM
Tirerack.com shows ceramic pads and stock style rotors totaling $420 before shipping so add a couple/few hundred for labor. I'd say the range is $600-$800. I replace brakes myself because they are pretty simple to do if you have a floor jack and a good socket set. I used to race a car with BMW Club Racing and SCCA Club Racing, so you learn fast how to do brakes... and you save yourself about $400 every time. Then again, your friends show up with a 6 pack and ask you to help them change thier brakes too :)

Good to see you, Vince. :)

- Mark

smoke13264
10-18-10, 09:52 PM
Does it pull when you brake hard? One of you calipers could of gone bad or has crap plugging it up. When some brake shops squeeze the calipers open to get the new pads on, they tend to push crap in the brake line to the caliper causing issues. They do this so they do not have to bleed the brakes.

Btw, that is one pricey brake job... I sure hope they replaced all four rotors for that and gave you a happy ending! :)

Lol, All four rotors and brakes but no happy... That was done somewhere else lmao