: Differance between Xeon and HID's?

ESCALADE132
10-14-10, 02:05 PM
I was just curious what the differance is between the Xeon lights and the HID's? My Dad has a BMW and when you turn on his headlights they do a salute, the go up and then back down not sure why. And the Escalade has HID's which is better/brighter?
Thanks

ArtolaEscalade
10-14-10, 02:52 PM
There is no difference, the BMW tests autolevel at startup (it did in mine anyways). As for the brightness, http://www.xenonexpert.com/technical.html.

flexright
10-14-10, 09:05 PM
Do not know what the difference is in the lights,but my wife's 07 Lexus ES 350 headlights move. When you go up a hill down a hill or turn the lights move. Do the 07 Escalade lights move?

K9Caddy
10-15-10, 04:03 AM
No, they do not move and I'm glad they don't too!

Pa4ul
04-06-11, 06:07 PM
that headlights on your paps bmw have the autorange function. they adjust to the height level of the car so you wont blind oncoming drivers. My audi has that. its a nice little feature until the headlight level motor frys then ur stuck with a nice 300 dollar part to fix.

Playdrv4me
04-06-11, 08:07 PM
Xenon is the scientific name for the gas that is ignited to create the light within the tube (burner), H.I.D. is simply an acronym which stands for High Intensity Discharge, meaning a light source that is created by a high intensity source. Interchangeable terminology.

As for the leveling motors, I've never heard of those going bad in ANY car ever. LS430s are known for having the SENSOR in the rear of the car fail which leaves the lights permanently in the far down position, but the actuators/motors themselves don't go bad. The SWIVELING headlight motors are a whole different story since they get A LOT more use.

Pa4ul
04-08-11, 02:00 PM
yea well the self leveling motors in my audi went bad. and its a fairly common problem for those to go bad over time. The motor itself is almost as much as the whole housing for the light.

48Dodge
04-08-11, 02:28 PM
yea well the self leveling motors in my audi went bad. and its a fairly common problem for those to go bad over time. The motor itself is almost as much as the whole housing for the light.

Electronics in an Audi going bad? I've never heard of such a thing :bigroll: IMO if Audi worked all their electrical bugs out they'd be a tough car company to beat. Their cars are amazing otherwise.

Playdrv4me
04-08-11, 05:41 PM
Leave it to Audi to find a way to break an otherwise reliable part.

Pa4ul
04-14-11, 04:25 PM
yea and figured out how to not have the interior buttons start to peel with certian cleaners. My headlight knob was once black and is not white. Other then that i love my audi.