: This forum has been renamed, "Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion"

Lord Cadillac
10-14-10, 11:20 AM
I tried to keep the general Cadillac discussions away from member introductions, jokes, Lindsey Lohan news and so on. Unfortunately, that failed miserably. There were some really great topics in the "General Non-Model Specific Cadillac Discussion" forum that never got any attention. So the lounge is now the spot to discuss general Cadillac topics (in other words, non-model specific).

Any questions? Just ask...

Thank you...

hueterm
10-14-10, 11:28 AM
Good decision! I never went in the general Cadillac forum...

OffThaHorseCEO
10-14-10, 01:32 PM
so, id like to make a thread like ricks bmw thread, just detailing any and all work i put into it plus my experiences while i do it. only things is its on an allante. NOBODY ever goes into the Allante forums and id like my thread to be viewed in case people have advice or input. would this renamed section allow for this? or would it be moved into the ghost-town Allante section to make room for BMW, Lexus, Mercedes and Hyundai threads...

Lord Cadillac
10-14-10, 01:54 PM
If we allow Allante discussions in here, then we have to allow Cimarron, Catera and other rarely discussed makes in here as well. And then why not add the occasional CTS discussion? This is just the way forums work. It's not a perfect system.

so, id like to make a thread like ricks bmw thread, just detailing any and all work i put into it plus my experiences while i do it. only things is its on an allante. NOBODY ever goes into the Allante forums and id like my thread to be viewed in case people have advice or input. would this renamed section allow for this? or would it be moved into the ghost-town Allante section to make room for BMW, Lexus, Mercedes and Hyundai threads...

OffThaHorseCEO
10-14-10, 02:03 PM
maybe ill have to go buy bmws and hyundais then so i can post in the most popular section of cadillac forums

Submariner409
10-14-10, 02:09 PM
maybe ill have to go buy bmws and hyundais then so i can post in the most popular section of cadillac forums

My take exactly: If you want to gush over your Beemer, MB, Lexus, Boeing 737, Civic or ??? Jeep ???, then go to the proper (non-Cadillac) site.

(There's a way to cull out the non-Cadillac trolls: it's called "ignore".)

Jesda
10-14-10, 02:27 PM

Well, you could always link us to the thread in the Allante section. :) You can post a review or comparison here too, but I think a detailed build for a specific Cadillac model should probably stay in that section for the benefit of people searching for information. A lot of people might go to "Allante" and click "Search this forum" which would exclude the lounge.

OffThaHorseCEO
10-14-10, 02:31 PM
i dont even know how to do that haha.

dont get me wrong, i really like ricks mega-thread, nothing against him either. i would just hate to create one of these threads and it go to waste because it actually has something to do with a cadillac, as opposed to the ones that get regular views despite they have NOTHING to do with a cadillac, on a cadillac forum

Lord Cadillac
10-14-10, 02:49 PM
What is Rick's mega thread?

And the Lounge is usually the busiest forum on all communities. If nobody is interested in the Allante, than don't spend the time posting an important message.

ga_etc
10-14-10, 05:19 PM
What is Rick's mega thread?

All of them?

ga_etc
10-14-10, 05:23 PM
I tried to keep the general Cadillac discussions away from member introductions, jokes, Lindsey Lohan news and so on. Unfortunately, that failed miserably. There were some really great topics in the "General Non-Model Specific Cadillac Discussion" forum that never got any attention. So the lounge is now the spot to discuss general Cadillac topics (in other words, non-model specific).

So is the non-model specific section still up temporarily? If there was some good info and discussions going on there that didn't get much attention, are you going to merge them into the newly redefined Lounge?

creeker
10-14-10, 06:34 PM
I'm gonna miss the lindsay lohan updates.

Stingroo
10-14-10, 09:18 PM
My take exactly: If you want to gush over your Beemer, MB, Lexus, Boeing 737, Civic or ??? Jeep ???, then go to the proper (non-Cadillac) site.

I kind of take offense to this post. So what if we don't own Cadillacs anymore? Many of us are (or were) site supporters, and still enjoy the community here. It does say Cadillac owners AND Enthusiasts. Are we no longer allowed to be enthused by other vehicles here? I wasn't aware that made us "trolls" either.

Do tell. :suspect:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-14-10, 09:27 PM
Ray, I don't think he means that everyone who doesn't own a Cadillac is a troll. There are trolls on here that own Cadillacs and don't own Cadillacs.

Sal, love the change. Great to bring the "general Cadillac discussion" and "off topic threads" areas together.

drewsdeville
10-14-10, 09:35 PM

I've mentioned this before and got flamed hardcore for it. However, I still agree with it regardless.

This isn't a general automotive enthusiast forum, it's a CADILLAC owners and CADILLAC enthusiast forum.

I myself abide by this advice. I'm a member of other automotive forums for cars that I own/an am enthusiast of. I don't post threads dedicated to my '66 Dodge on the Cadillac, Crown Vic, or bike forums.

This isn't to say that I don't enjoy the non-Cadillac threads on this forum. Ricks BMW thread, for example, is fun to read, even if I really don't appreciate the BMW's themselves. I just don't think those threads belong here is all. Like mentioned, post on the appropriate board and link us.

Jesda
10-14-10, 10:27 PM

The vast majority of this forum's moderators, supermods, admins, and owners do not currently own any Cadillacs.

I mean, I guess you could put us all on ignore. :)

We have an area of the forum open to political discussion too -- nothing Cadillac-related goes on in there. Its a pretty big site, so there's plenty of room to talk about Cadillacs, food, travel, pets, other cars, or... Lindsay Lohan.

gdwriter
10-15-10, 12:51 AM
All of them?Dammit Austin! You beat me to it! :histeric:

Jesda
10-15-10, 05:10 AM
For the record... I really enjoy the aviation and aircraft discussions here. I don't know enough to participate, but I like to read.

Lord Cadillac
10-15-10, 10:39 AM
DISCUSSIONS ABOUT OTHER MAKES AND MODELS BELONG IN THE LOUNGE. Yes, it's definitely okay to talk about Lincoln, BMW, Hyundai or whatever automobile company you choose - in the lounge.

Otherwise - to answer the question below... All the discussions in the non-model specific area have already been merged into the lounge... :)

So is the non-model specific section still up temporarily? If there was some good info and discussions going on there that didn't get much attention, are you going to merge them into the newly redefined Lounge?

Night Wolf
10-15-10, 11:55 AM
Some people just like to change the rules to fit themselves. Before the general room and lounge were combined, there was a "no Cadillac discussion" rule in the lounge, but certain members felt that they didn't need follow that, while at the same time calling others out for duscussing vehicles other than Cadillacs in the lounge, which is where it belongs.

OffThaHorseCEO
10-15-10, 03:01 PM
Some people just like to change the rules to fit themselves. Before the general room and lounge were combined, there was a "no Cadillac discussion" rule in the lounge, but certain members felt that they didn't need follow that, while at the same time calling others out for duscussing vehicles other than Cadillacs in the lounge, which is where it belongs.

Rick, I hope you didnt take my posts offensively. They werent meant to call you out. I read your megathreads, I love seeing the transformation of a vehicle from whatever state its in to a pristine machine. If you we're offended oh well but i didnt mean to offend you.

What i meant is this...

Imagine you went to a horse show, there are tons of different kinds of horses, and each type of horse has a section of the show to be displayed and discussed and judged. There is also a place where people who ATTEND the HORSE show but may not necessarily participate congregate on a more regular basis. Then some guy rolls up with a COW. Since the cow doesnt fit into any of the HORSE categories, they stick the cow where all the people are congregating. So now, EVERYONE is talkin about the cow, and some of the horses are being ignored. One of the horse guys walks in and asks a question about the horse, and is immeditaly forced back into the horse section. "WERE TALKING ABOUT COWS HERE, IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT HORSES GO BACK TO THE HORSE SECTION" "But, but, isnt this a HORSE SHOW?"

see what im sayin?

Jesda
10-15-10, 03:21 PM
Yeah, but the lounge is basically the "all animals" section of a horse show. :)

Jesda
10-15-10, 03:21 PM
All this horse talk makes me hungry.

orconn
10-15-10, 03:25 PM
Rick, I hope you didnt take my posts offensively. They werent meant to call you out. I read your megathreads, I love seeing the transformation of a vehicle from whatever state its in to a pristine machine. If you we're offended oh well but i didnt mean to offend you.

What i meant is this...

Imagine you went to a horse show, there are tons of different kinds of horses, and each type of horse has a section of the show to be displayed and discussed and judged. There is also a place where people who ATTEND the HORSE show but may not necessarily participate congregate on a more regular basis. Then some guy rolls up with a COW. Since the cow doesnt fit into any of the HORSE categories, they stick the cow where all the people are congregating. So now, EVERYONE is talkin about the cow, and some of the horses are being ignored. One of the horse guys walks in and asks a question about the horse, and is immeditaly forced back into the horse section. "WERE TALKING ABOUT COWS HERE, IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT HORSES GO BACK TO THE HORSE SECTION" "But, but, isnt this a HORSE SHOW?"

see what im sayin?

Point well taken! While I, too, enjoy Rick's writeups, I also understand what Off the Horse is saying.

OffThaHorseCEO
10-15-10, 03:32 PM
wouldnt that then make it an animal show? Also, if it was the All Animals section, why would the horse get kicked out

(made me hungry too, im goin to hardees)

Jesda
10-15-10, 04:14 PM
There's 70+ Cadillac-specific sections and a couple off topic areas.

I think its still basically a horse show. :)

Lord Cadillac
10-15-10, 04:23 PM
Right. This rule is about keeping the community organized. If we have CTS conversations in the Lounge, then you must check the CTS forum AND the lounge to keep up on what's happening with the CTS. Since we can have CTS discussions in the lounge, now we'll have DTS, STS, Escalade, SRX, Allante, Catera, Cimarron, Eldorado, Seville, DeVille, Fleetwood, Brougham, XLR, BLS, XTS, ATS, BRX and V-Series posts in the lounge as well. Hell, we might as well just have one big forum with all the communities discussions in one area. Then we can all complain about having to scroll through sixty million pages every day to find the topics we're interested in.

The way it is now - works. If you want to talk about the CTS, you go to the CTS forum. If somebody wants to learn something about the Allante - they know exactly where to go - the Allante forum. Or wait - maybe you can go to the Lounge and browse through six hundred thousand topics and find one about the Allante that somebody posted there...

OffThaHorseCEO
10-15-10, 04:33 PM
The way it is now - works. If you want to talk about the CTS, you go to the CTS forum. If somebody wants to learn something about the Allante - they know exactly where to go - the Allante forum.

So if you want to talk BMW why not go to the BMW forum, If you want to talk mercedes...if you want to talk Hyundai, etc etc
No of course, it makes perfect sense to come to the CADILLAC forum to discuss these vehicles

Lord Cadillac
10-15-10, 04:37 PM
Why? Because there's no BMW forum located on our domain. This is the lounge. Anything goes. Should we have a BMW forum, a Mercedes forum, a Hyundai forum and whatever else we want to talk about? Should we create a new forum for every topic? A humor forum, an Lindsey Lohan forum, an iPhone forum, etc, etc, etc... This is the lounge. It's intended for ALL topics that don't already have a designated area. I don't see what there is to misinterpret... Maybe we should ban all talk of other car companies in the lounge.

ben.gators
10-15-10, 04:49 PM
So if you want to talk BMW why not go to the BMW forum, If you want to talk mercedes...if you want to talk Hyundai, etc etc No of course, it makes perfect sense to come to the CADILLAC forum to discuss these vehicles
I am a Cadillac enthusiast, and here I speak about Cadillac most of the time. But I do not mind during general discussions some times I read or write about BMW, MB,... just for fun!
I am not a BMW or MB enthusiast to be a member of those forum...
I totally understand that here is a Cadillac forum, and it is supposed to be about Cadillac. But come on, what is wrong with a few threads about other cars in general discussion part? We are learning more and our general knowledge about other automakers is increasing... That is really good! majority of the topics in the forum are about cadis, as supposed to be, but beside them a few topics about other cars is fun too...

orconn
10-15-10, 05:26 PM
If Cadillac aspires to be a BMW or Mercedes, then comparison is valid and information on these marks has a place here.

gary88
10-15-10, 05:39 PM
Worst case scenario: you learn something new about a different car.

Night Wolf
10-15-10, 06:52 PM

No, it wasn't towards you as you've never actually made those comments I speak of in the previous reply - others have though.

As for the horse vs cow - I understand. I was simply stating what the actual forum rules used to be, before the merge. The Cadillac discussion never bothered me one bit, and I enjoy the various roadtrip threads involving them. I simply mentioned that because some felt the need to call others out for talking about non-Cadillacs, on a Cadillac site... when all that discussion was in the lounge, which at the time had a "no Cadillac discussion, everything else here" rule.

Night Wolf
10-15-10, 06:57 PM
Worst case scenario: you learn something new about a different car.

What a crazy concept, eh?

It took all your posts with pictures for me to actually warm up to the new 3-series.

I have owned (3) Cadillacs so far. If it wasn't for DaveSmed on this site talking about his BMW (e30) then I wouldn't have been introduced to them.

I used to think SAAB 900's were bathtubs on wheels... but because of Jesda's car and detailed threads about it - I have grown to like them and wouldn't mind owning one some day.

ga_etc
10-15-10, 07:13 PM
Dammit Austin! You beat me to it! :histeric:

Sorry, someone had to say it. ;)

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see anything wrong with the old set up. There were a few threads that pertained/referenced Cadillacs, but very few were specifically about them. Maybe I just wasn't paying that much attention... :hmm:

But, it is good that we can talk about anything in the lounge, be it other car manufactures or whatever. To quote School House Rock, "KNOWLEDGE IS POWER".

Jesda
10-15-10, 10:26 PM
I used to think SAAB 900's were bathtubs on wheels... but because of Jesda's car and detailed threads about it - I have grown to like them and wouldn't mind owning one some day.

They're still bathtubs on wheels, but oddly enjoyable ones. :D

hueterm
10-15-10, 10:31 PM
What's the big deal about having non-model specific Cadillac and other make discussion in the lounge? Don't open the thread if it doesn't interest you. It takes too long to go to multiple forums to have a "non-car discussion lounge", an "all other makes" forum, and a "general Cadillac" forum. I can see drawing the line on specific Cadillac models having a specific forum, due to the bulk of the posts involved with those models.

But in the Lounge, if you don't want to read about the newest Hyundai that should be a Cadillac, or some 9643 post long thread of Rick's about how his Jeep can go mudding while towing his newest E30, (or Gary needling him for such a thread), or me or 'Roo going on about station wagons, then you don't have to click on the thread.

Take that Toyota thread that's nothing but articles w/no discussion. It aggravates me, so I don't go there.

Playdrv4me
10-15-10, 10:35 PM
What's the big deal about having non-model specific Cadillac and other make discussion in the lounge? Don't open the thread if it doesn't interest you. It takes too long to go to multiple forums to have a "non-car discussion lounge", an "all other makes" forum, and a "general Cadillac" forum. I can see drawing the line on specific Cadillac models having a specific forum, due to the bulk of the posts involved with those models.

But in the Lounge, if you don't want to read about the newest Hyundai that should be a Cadillac, or some 9643 post long thread of Rick's about how his Jeep can go mudding while towing his newest E30, (or Gary needling him for such a thread), or me or 'Roo going on about station wagons, then you don't have to click on the thread.

Take that Toyota thread that's nothing but articles w/no discussion. It aggravates me, so I don't go there.

:werd: I'm surprised we're still discussing this so many years on.

orconn
10-15-10, 11:18 PM
I agree with Hueterm if you have no interest in the subject don't open the thread. But don't limit what can be discussed just because you have no interest in the subject. Having model specific forums for Cadillacs makes it much easier to find technical data about a specific problem and car for those having problems. All in all, I compliment Sal on the organization of the Forums and feel it has a lot to do with the overall success of site.

Stingroo
10-16-10, 01:23 AM
I agree with Hueterm if you have no interest in the subject don't open the thread. But don't limit what can be discussed just because you have no interest in the subject.

[/thread]

[thread] Time to start a huge wagon thread

(I kid, I kid)

Night Wolf
10-16-10, 02:27 AM

The way it is done on other sites I have been on is that someone will post a build thread (or detail..work...something etc...) in the correct technical section, but then link it in their sig so that every time they post, someone can check it out. It works out well, if someone talks about their particular vehicle and that sparks your interest and you then go check it out via their linked build thread.

Here, with no sigs, or if you pay then only a sig on your first reply... you may be able to fit the link in the "Cadillacs I drive" heading, either the link itself or if it accepts a shortened hyperlinked sort of link. Then if you make a reply to a post with something like "I had to do the same sort of repair to my Allante" and someone saw the linked thread about it, they could go right to that page.

It is done on many sites. One of the Jeep sites I frequent is huge, larger then this site, and even if you only stay in certain models technical sections, threads get burried in a matter of hours. I have read peoples replies and they talked about their Jeep, or just said something good or I agree with so I ant to check out how they do their work, and there is a linked thread tot heir vehicle. Same thing on the BMW sites I use.

OffThaHorseCEO
10-16-10, 10:45 AM
The way it is done on other sites I have been on is that someone will post a build thread (or detail..work...something etc...) in the correct technical section, but then link it in their sig so that every time they post, someone can check it out. It works out well, if someone talks about their particular vehicle and that sparks your interest and you then go check it out via their linked build thread.

Here, with no sigs, or if you pay then only a sig on your first reply... you may be able to fit the link in the "Cadillacs I drive" heading, either the link itself or if it accepts a shortened hyperlinked sort of link. Then if you make a reply to a post with something like "I had to do the same sort of repair to my Allante" and someone saw the linked thread about it, they could go right to that page.

It is done on many sites. One of the Jeep sites I frequent is huge, larger then this site, and even if you only stay in certain models technical sections, threads get burried in a matter of hours. I have read peoples replies and they talked about their Jeep, or just said something good or I agree with so I ant to check out how they do their work, and there is a linked thread tot heir vehicle. Same thing on the BMW sites I use.

good idea. i may start soon. thanks!