: The Fleetwood Brougham is...

AElayyat
09-15-04, 07:04 PM
Yup the Fleetwood Brougham is on its way to looking good once again, today I droped it off to get the body work, paint, viynal top, headliner, and driver seat fixed. I'll post some pictures of the car as soon as I get it back.

DPGC23
09-16-04, 01:59 AM
Nice

Treat Thas Fleetwood With Car

Dpgc23

AElayyat
09-21-04, 10:44 PM
Mini Update fellas. The top and headliner have been replaced, as well as the driver's seat reupolstered. All of that going to take $700, what do you guys think of that price?? I think it is ok.

The Caddy is on its way to the paint shop next...

89 D'elegance
09-21-04, 10:59 PM
Dont really matter, its done! Any car will require a bit of money and caddys are beautiful so I wouldnt worry about it. Got any pics of what it looked like before the work?

AElayyat
09-22-04, 01:07 AM
Dont really matter, its done! Any car will require a bit of money and caddys are beautiful so I wouldnt worry about it. Got any pics of what it looked like before the work?

Yeah I know that its done, I was just wondering what kind of money other members paid for similar work. In my case if I have the money I'll spend it on the car, it holds alot of sentimental value to me.

I did have pictures of the car before it went in to get fixed but my computer crashed...and I have not seen the car yet...so I'm just waiting.

AElayyat
09-22-04, 01:10 AM
Hey 89 delegance, I do have the pictues of the car, but they are on my digital camera as soon as I get them loaded to the computer I'll post them.

AElayyat
09-22-04, 01:49 AM
OK here are a few pictures, please don't laugh. I got a mint condition rear seat from Pick-A-Part for $35, mint dash pad for $18, an extra dome light for $2, and extra mint rear seat back rest for $15, and center piece (radio, a/c vents, that part) for $10. That was one hell of a find for me about 3 weeks ago. I'm waiting to get the car back so that I can put my system back in as well as the 'new' back seat and dash pad. I have quite a few NOS emblems for the car, I just have to buy the trunk keyhole cover and wreath. And I do have all 4 hubcaps (locking wire disks) but I had the 2 off of the car because I was checking the brakes (which turned out OK).

barge master
09-22-04, 07:15 AM
That car's got some good potential no doubt. You got one big advantage being in California. You can't find a run of the mill car that age up here that the chrome hasn't been sandblasted to death, and often even if the body looks good, there is a lot of scaly rust underneath. That seems like a fair price for the work you got done too. A skilled upholsterer isn't going to do it any cheaper than that. Show us some pics when it comes back.

DopeStar 156
09-22-04, 12:32 PM
What engine did the 85 have? And also was it FI, or carbed? The reason I ask is because I want one of those fuel data displays for my 89 but I was told it wouldn't work unless the car was FI. I just have a little square where it should be.

RBraczyk
09-22-04, 12:41 PM
Everything pre 87 gm is carbed. Im almost positive.

DopeStar 156
09-22-04, 12:48 PM
Mmmmmm sorry I don't agree with you there.... Some 80-84 Coupe DeVilles had port fuel injection along with other GM cars from before the 80's. The first Corvette even had fuel injection and I think all of them always had. If the 85 has the HT4100 I'm pretty sure that was FI.

AElayyat
09-22-04, 04:39 PM
That car's got some good potential no doubt. You got one big advantage being in California. You can't find a run of the mill car that age up here that the chrome hasn't been sandblasted to death, and often even if the body looks good, there is a lot of scaly rust underneath. That seems like a fair price for the work you got done too. A skilled upholsterer isn't going to do it any cheaper than that. Show us some pics when it comes back.

I thought $700 was a fair enough price due to all of the labor involved. I'll post the pictures of the car as soon as I get it back.

AElayyat
09-22-04, 04:44 PM
What engine did the 85 have? And also was it FI, or carbed? The reason I ask is because I want one of those fuel data displays for my 89 but I was told it wouldn't work unless the car was FI. I just have a little square where it should be.

Good ol ht4100 in my 85 FWB. It is a throttle body with 2 fuel injectors setup, so it is similar to a 2 barrel carb, but it is digital fuel injection. Its kind of hard to explain it while typing, but some of the other members could maybe give you a better explanation of DFI. I'm not sure if the fuel data pannel will work with the carburated cars, I have heard that they wont, but I'm not familiar with the electronics involved in putting a fuel data pannel in, it could be a simple plug and play operation.

scurling
09-22-04, 05:23 PM
Hey AElayyat, I also think $700 is a good price. Interior work, and leather repair is always expensive. The leather repair shop in my area charges $100.00 to fix a scratch, but the repair looks like new leather when they are done. The key is in the workmanship. Good workmanship is worth the cost.

davesdeville
09-22-04, 07:45 PM
Should look nice when it gets some good paint on it.

Cadillac had an FI option from 76 on, and the 4100s were all FI. The 307 might or might not I don't know.

ChristianV
09-22-04, 08:07 PM
Dude that is going to look sweet. What color are you painting it? Post some pics after you get it back. :yup:

Hoop
09-23-04, 12:09 AM
Ohh you have an '85, Just like me! Sorry to hear you have a HT4100 too.:(

Just thought Id add that the 307 was never fuel injected. When it was killed in '90, it was still carb'd.:)

Hoop
09-23-04, 12:11 AM
Also, lemme know how much $$$ it costs for the body work. Mine has some rust circles forming on it, and i want them gone.

AElayyat
09-23-04, 02:21 AM
scurling - That is true because its what it comes down to in the end. It is all about the experience of the shop as well as using the right materials.

ChristianV - I hope she will look nice when she is done with her reconstructive surgeries (my car should be on that show 'Extreem Makeover'). I told my connection guy to have the car painted in the original gold color (or as close as possible). (I know you guys are gonna yell at me because I did not go with black but its a pain in the ass to keep it clean, I don't see many Caddys in my color, and I am trying to keep it as close to original as possible). I also had the top done to match the color of the car.

Hoop - I appreciate you support on dealing with the HT4100, we are on the same boat. I'll let you know how much as soon as I hear something. For now my guy called yesterday and got 1 estimate for $1100 for all of the body work and paint, but he is going to try to find me a better price. The shop claimed that they were going to strip down the hood, trunk, and fix the gypsy body work and finally paint the car for that $1100 (I think its an ok price but my wallet is hurting).

I'll get some pics up as soon as I get the car back as I have not seen her since last Wed., 9-15-04.

Hoop
09-23-04, 07:48 PM
Sounds good.

How many miles are on your HT4100? I have almost 100k, with no rebuilds..*knocks on wood*

Adam
09-23-04, 08:57 PM
what color are you getting it painted?

AElayyat
09-23-04, 09:16 PM
Sounds good.

How many miles are on your HT4100? I have almost 100k, with no rebuilds..*knocks on wood*

The rebuld on the 4.1 has 10 years and a bit more than 80k, so lets hope after all of this that she doesn't gives up.

AElayyat
09-23-04, 09:17 PM
what color are you getting it painted?

Gold. I am hoping that it will be as close as possible to the original gold color.

luddyludwick
09-23-04, 11:44 PM
AElayyat,

Way to represent with the '85...we all know the HT4100 Broughams don't get no respect...we on this board should try to change that!!!

Your car does have potential...I think it will be really nice when it's done. I think that pricing you were talking about is fair...don't we all wish it would be less! Especially if you mean they're going to put a new vinyl roof and headliner, that is FREAKING CHEAP AS H*LL!!!! I've heard over $1000 just for the roof before (my '85 kinda needs it.)

Your car will be great when done...okay, shameless plug time...go see mine at http://www.cardomain.com/id/luddyludwick I just did a site for my '85 last week. The pictures are pretty nice. My car's got a lot of sentimental value, too: it was my grandfather's before he died in '01. It's pretty much been neglected by my non-Cadillac-liking family since then. They were going to GIVE IT AWAY!!!!...and then I stepped in :)

As for the Fuel Data readout, it is integral to the DFI system in HT4100 cars; the Olds 307's CCC Quadrajet carb doesn't have the functions for it. As cool as it is to see all those '80's looking digital readouts, I'd much rather have a good ol' carbureted 500ci in that beast!

Bruce

FASSTWOOD
09-24-04, 12:06 AM
1100.00 for the bodywork ain't bad... Good luck with your mini restoration...
Going with your original colors is also a good idea they are nice colors, and you don't have to do all the door jams...

Hoop
09-24-04, 12:10 AM
wow, 3 of us with '85's.... Scary!

I got mine for free, People who used to own it couldnt figure out why it wouldnt run. $10 and a Rubber hose for the gas line later, and I have a perfectly running Cadillac:), Minus the brake lines going out on it. Thats this months project...

AElayyat
09-24-04, 01:55 PM
AElayyat,

Way to represent with the '85...we all know the HT4100 Broughams don't get no respect...we on this board should try to change that!!!

Your car does have potential...I think it will be really nice when it's done. I think that pricing you were talking about is fair...don't we all wish it would be less! Especially if you mean they're going to put a new vinyl roof and headliner, that is FREAKING CHEAP AS H*LL!!!! I've heard over $1000 just for the roof before (my '85 kinda needs it.)

Your car will be great when done...okay, shameless plug time...go see mine at http://www.cardomain.com/id/luddyludwick I just did a site for my '85 last week. The pictures are pretty nice. My car's got a lot of sentimental value, too: it was my grandfather's before he died in '01. It's pretty much been neglected by my non-Cadillac-liking family since then. They were going to GIVE IT AWAY!!!!...and then I stepped in :)

As for the Fuel Data readout, it is integral to the DFI system in HT4100 cars; the Olds 307's CCC Quadrajet carb doesn't have the functions for it. As cool as it is to see all those '80's looking digital readouts, I'd much rather have a good ol' carbureted 500ci in that beast!

Bruce

Yeah I know man, we all should get awards or something for putting up with the 4100 in such a heavy car with an underpowered engine - it's a challenge. That's a nice looking FWB you got there Bruce, I am one of those people who would like to have velour rather than leather interior. I also wouldn't mind having a 472 or 500 under the hood of my car, it is somewhat exciting (when compared to the 4.1) driving my 89 Sedan DeVille w/4.5 or my dad's 96 Eldorado w/Northstar. How long before you get her back from the tranny shop?

Yeah I feel that it was a decent price to do the driver's seat, head liner, and top for $700, that work takes a lot of labor.

AElayyat
09-24-04, 01:59 PM
1100.00 for the bodywork ain't bad... Good luck with your mini restoration...
Going with your original colors is also a good idea they are nice colors, and you don't have to do all the door jams...

Thanks Fasstwood, I thought that was a decent price too but my guy is working on getting me a better price. Even if it ends up getting done for $1100 I can't complain, I have been quoted worse prices in the past.

AElayyat
09-24-04, 02:02 PM
wow, 3 of us with '85's.... Scary!

I got mine for free, People who used to own it couldnt figure out why it wouldnt run. $10 and a Rubber hose for the gas line later, and I have a perfectly running Cadillac:), Minus the brake lines going out on it. Thats this months project...

Yup 3 and s l o w l y (like the 4100) increasing 4100 powered FWBs on this board. Thats not a bad deal for your Caddy, a replacement of a gas line.

DopeStar 156
09-24-04, 02:21 PM
I'm anxious to see the after pics of this car. Haha I check this thread all the time.

AElayyat
09-24-04, 07:40 PM
I'm anxious to see the after pics of this car. Haha I check this thread all the time.

I am too DopeStar I have not seen my baby since 9-16 :crying: . Let me tell you something, driving my 89 Sedan DeVille sucks compared to the Fleetwood.

DopeStar 156
09-24-04, 09:55 PM
*Gasp* Hey you, my back up is a '99 Chevy Malibu. Which is a good car, but no 89 DeVille. I'm driving my Fleetwood for the first time in two weeks because I'm at home this weekend, so I understand Caddy Withdrawl.

AElayyat
09-24-04, 11:47 PM
I feel that way about the Deville because I just got too use to my Fleetwood Brougham (I'm not spoiled or anything like that). The deal is Dopestar, I have been driving the Fleetwood since I was 17 (senior year of high school) and now I'm 22 going on 23 so the bottom line is that she is "my first, my last, my everything." Don't get me wrong I still like the ride the DeVille gives and the power of the 4.5 but I just have this spot for the Fleetwood Brougham.

luddyludwick
09-25-04, 02:14 AM
Yeah,

I'm a big fan of Hyundais after buying my car...it really is a great car in that Honda/Toyota kinda mold, but I still like the FWB a lot better, even though my '01 Sonata has WAY more power (on paper, too!)

Thanks for the compliment; I tried to take care of that Fleetwood even before I was of driving age. Something about the car just made it worth it for me to spend time cleaning it inside and out for grandad. As for when it gets back, I hope within two weeks. They can't start it until the middle of this coming week. Then, it will probably be a week to do the transmission, new brake lines, and (possiblY) a heater core or hoses. Then it's off to another shop for the very important oil change, coolant flush, a/c repairs, guidematic repairs, and power antenna replacement...yes, donations are being accepted. It also supposedly has a small leak above the windshield...rust????...I hope it's just a seal problem with the window. My rationale is that if I get it all fixed now, at least I have a clean slate for when other stuff goes. It will still need a little appearance work after that, such as a new vinyl roof and a headliner.

Yeah, I think the HT cars are actually pretty cool. They're so high-tech for their time, while just having some neat things about them (you could still get guidematic and the factory CB, for example, something that went away toward the end of the '80s.) Also, for some reason, even if I don't like the power of the HT, I really like the sound! Go figure...

Bruce

scurling
09-25-04, 10:45 AM
Bruce:

Did I just read in your posting you think your Sonata has more power than your Cadiallac??? If so, I am assuming it is not stock. The stock Sonata is rated at less than 140HP.
Do I need glasses, or what??

luddyludwick
09-25-04, 12:50 PM
You might be thinking of another Hyundai model...maybe the Elantra? The Sonata's engines (in 2001; they're more powerful now in 2004) were a 2.4L I-4 that made 149 hp and a 2.5L v6 that makes 170...now these are actually down about 5 hp from that because they measured it wrong or something, but...

Yes, there's less torque in my Sonata (you notice that at low speed...166lbft), but then again, it carries at least 1000lbs less weight around than my Fleetwood!

Nothing's been changed on my car...it was loaded with leather, moonroof, etc., from the factory...and it's my daily driver, so there's no reason to tweak it.

Hoop
09-26-04, 06:05 PM
Our HT4100's are defiantely not known for their power... lol

My other car is definately quicker then my Caddy.:D

AElayyat
09-27-04, 02:29 AM
Our HT4100's are defiantely not known for their power... lol

My other car is definately quicker then my Caddy.:D

That is true, the only thing I hate on my FWB is the 4100. The only good thing about that engine is that it gets good gas milage. Bottom line with a 4.1 is that you have to "learn" how to drive it, and it is tough if you have ever driven a Caddy with real power (i.e. Northstar, 472, etc). In the end though the FWB is a sweet look car that gives an excellent ride, it just has no balls.

Hoop
10-01-04, 02:16 AM
It's tough to switch from the Caddy to the Cutlass.

I'll drive the Cutlass like I drive the Caddy, and I go ALOT faster in the Cutlass. I have to watch it when I switch cars. Don't wanna get pulled over...:D

CaseyC
03-10-05, 01:01 PM
Mmmmmm sorry I don't agree with you there.... Some 80-84 Coupe DeVilles had port fuel injection along with other GM cars from before the 80's. The first Corvette even had fuel injection and I think all of them always had. If the 85 has the HT4100 I'm pretty sure that was FI.

My 86 Fleetwood has a 4.1 injected V8.....

90Brougham350
03-10-05, 01:18 PM
Just out of curiosity, what kind of mileage do you 4100 drivers actually get?

Brian

Adumb
03-10-05, 01:51 PM

wasnt the 57 bel air fuel injected?

DopeStar 156
03-10-05, 02:04 PM
wasnt the 57 bel air fuel injected?
It was. There were pre 87 GM cars with FI. The 57 Bel Air is a prime example. Also I believe every Corvette ever built was FI.

N0DIH
03-10-05, 02:21 PM

57-58 Pontiac "315hp"/347 Mech FI (Pontiac and Rochester designed)
57-? Chevy "Ramjet" 283hp/283 Mech FI (Chevy adopted the Pontiac/Rochester design later in the year)
Corvettes have had EFI from time to time from 57 to 66 on the 283 through 327's
70 Pontiac 427 Prototype had FI (and Hemi heads...)
76 Cadillac 500 was FI (option) in Eldo (analog system)
77-78 Cadillac 425 was FI (option) in Eldo (revised 500 EFI)
76-7x/8x Cadillac Seville with Olds 350 was FI (very similar to the 500/425)
Turbo Buicks got Port EFI in 84-87 (similar to a tunnel ram intake)
Chevy Cross Fire 350 Corvette 81?82-84 (fuel 375 CFM throttle bodies)
Chevy Cross Fire 305 Z28 82-84 (same as vette)
Chevy TPI 305 85-92 (batch fire FI, not very efficient, MAF early, then speed density)
Numerous 4 cyls were EFI starting around 1982 (TBI)
All Buick 3.8's were Seq Port EFI from 86 up in FWD
All Chevy trucks were EFI (TBI) starting around 87

And so on and so on....

CoupeDevilleRob
03-10-05, 04:45 PM
Fuel injection was an option, and a very rare one at that, on a lot of Corvettes in the late 50s and early 60s. It wasn't EFI though, it was some kind of mechanical set up that was very fussy and didn't really show any mileage gains. Some GM cars in the late 50s had mechanical fuel injection as an option too, like Bel Airs and Bonnevilles. EFI didn't really catch on until the late 70s, early 80s.

As for 4100 mileage, I get around 15 or 16 in the city and 26 or 27 on the highway. I don't exactly know what my numbers are because I really don't keep track, but those would be good estimates.