: 2002 ETC inquiry

dcluny01
10-14-10, 01:27 AM
I'm ready to purchase a 2002 Eldorado ETC, with 61536mi Limited edition for $10,700. And was curious about the Head Gasket problem, is it an issue with the 02's?

Submariner409
10-14-10, 10:14 AM
I'm ready to purchase a 2002 Eldorado ETC, with 61536mi Limited edition for $10,700. And was curious about the Head Gasket problem, is it an issue with the 02's?

At the top of this Forum main page there's a sticky thread - head gasket poll. Most un-scientific, but it is an indication of the failure rate for CF readers only - you'll notice that 2001+ is considerably less prone to failure, BUT whether that's due to the engine redesign in 2000 or just age/mileage, all bets are off.

Just as with ANY other car or mechanical device, you take your chances. If the ETC is clean, buy it. You'll love the car. At 62,000 the engine isn't even broken in yet. read the ENTIRE Cadillac Technical Archive up ^^^ in the black bar, especially the article "Occasional full throttle.........................". These engines need to RUN. (but the ETC runs well on 87 - that's what 2000+ is spec'd for.)

BTW...........Welcome Aboard !!!!:welcome:

vincentm
10-14-10, 11:36 AM
Hi Submariner, dcluny01, is a friend who lives down the street from me, and i signed him up to CF, and posted that on his behalf. the car in question is the commemorative edition, and is down in Torrance California. He wants to fly down there purchase it and drive it back up to WA, we pulled a Carfax history on it and it's on it's third own, the second owner was an auction company who had it less than 5 months. but the 3rd owner shows as having been involved in a wreck with it. We're thinking front end damage judging by the pictures of the car, the front bumper and license plate mounting shows sign of damage. The radiator was replaced 2 years later, other than that the history is spotless, the original owner babied the thing and stood on top of the maintenance. Dave here (dcluny01) is considering not purchasing the car now because of the accident which the owner failed to mention to him. I'm thinking it was a minor fender bender.

Submariner409
10-14-10, 12:44 PM
Damn trouble is that a "minor fender bender" in a FWD can be a real can of worms - look at the list of problems skiller is having with his STS with only a curb accident to the RF previously undisclosed. If a previous owner was an auction company, then there's a reason - maybe, just maybe, there's something wrong that a dealer or large used car lot doesn't want to fool with..........Just sayin'..........

Personally, I would walk. There are other fish in the sea.

If y'all are tight with a GM service writer, have him/her pull the GM Service data on the car - every warranty, recall, and some service work is in their database for that car.

97EldoCoupe
10-14-10, 10:14 PM
02 Collectors Edition? It's worth a certain price even if it's not repairable -