: 2003 Amplifier problem - loud crackling noise from radio

Andymi
10-13-10, 11:45 PM
I have been searching the web and of course Cadillac Forum, but I cannot find any information on my problem.

While driving along one day all of the sudden the nav/radio makes a loud blarring, crackling noise that was enough to just about give me a heart attack. I turned down the radio and there was no more sound. I tried turing on and off the radio, along with changing the source and bands, but nothing changed. When I turned on any volume, the noise was extremely loud.

I did not use the radio for a few days and then tried it again. When I tried it again, it worked fine. A week or so later it did the same thing, and scared me to death again it was so loud.

Now the radio only makes this sound and I cannot get it to work. I switched out head units and tried another radio, but the same thing happened.

I can only figure it is the amplifier, but I was hoping to see if anyone else has had this experience and can confirm it is the amp.

Also, is the amp located under the CD changer area, or under the storage part.

In my search I see there are Lux amps and Premium amps for the GM SUVs. Do all Escalades have the Lux amp, or is it possible that it is either one of them in my Escalade.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

RByers91
10-15-10, 01:35 PM
Is it coming from all speakers or just one? If so maybe the speaker is blown. I have an aftermarket amp in my car for my speakers and had a similar crackling noise. I found that one of the connections to the amp was loose, maybe it could be the same on the factory?

Andymi
10-15-10, 03:50 PM
I am going to try and get to the amp this weekend, and will check the connection.

It is such a loud shreiking, crackling noise, that it really scares you when it comes out of no where.

It seems to be in all speakers, so that is why I though the amp is the most likely culprit.

Andymi
11-05-10, 11:11 PM
I finally found a new amp on e-bay, and it arrived this week.

I plugged it in and I have sound in the right front speaker, so I think this will be the fix, as I understand that is where you will hear the sound until it is reprogrammed. I just need to take it to get programmed, and then if all is ok, I can put everything back together.

Maxfli
01-24-11, 02:27 PM
I finally found a new amp on e-bay, and it arrived this week.

I plugged it in and I have sound in the right front speaker, so I think this will be the fix, as I understand that is where you will hear the sound until it is reprogrammed. I just need to take it to get programmed, and then if all is ok, I can put everything back together.

I have the same issue with my 97 STS. The noise is only coming out of the right speaker (even when the IGN is OFF!!). Can you tell me wheer the amp is located so I might check this? Is it an easy install?