: Head gasket or??? HELP Plz

Realtor1
08-04-03, 12:46 PM
Ok guys, back from vacation, time to get back to fixing.

1993 STS, changed the plugs and wires, which I need to redo since I didnt go with the ac delco. Learned that from the boards, and take it seriously...thanks for all previouse help.

Heres the problem...#7 and #3 plugs were drecnched with oil on the thread side not the top half. I have had one guy said valve cover gasket and 2 others say "probably head gasket". Not really in a postion to go to caddy with it as there price quotes gave me a heart attack.

Any ideas, tips to look for to determine would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also for anyone I do have a subscription also with car fax for about another week or so and be happy to pull up reports to give back to the people here.

Thanks again.

Katshot
08-04-03, 01:25 PM
Ok guys, back from vacation, time to get back to fixing.

1993 STS, changed the plugs and wires, which I need to redo since I didnt go with the ac delco. Learned that from the boards, and take it seriously...thanks for all previouse help.

Heres the problem...#7 and #3 plugs were drecnched with oil on the thread side not the top half. I have had one guy said valve cover gasket and 2 others say "probably head gasket". Not really in a postion to go to caddy with it as there price quotes gave me a heart attack.

Any ideas, tips to look for to determine would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also for anyone I do have a subscription also with car fax for about another week or so and be happy to pull up reports to give back to the people here.

Thanks again.

I'm happy to inform you that it's NOT a head gasket.
Oil anywhere on the plugs will NOT be from a head gasket. If the electrodes and insulator are oil soaked, you have a few possibilities;
1. REAL BAD valve seals
2. Leaky intake manifold that can cause oil to leak into the cylinder via the intake valve
3. Some seriously bad piston ring issue (most likely the oil ring)
In most cases, an oil intrsion issue will NOT cause oil soaked plugs but will cause plug fouling and heavy deposits.
4. A dead cylinder caused by lack of compression and/or spark.

If the plugs are wet only on the outer area (threads and lower shell area) then I'd suspect a valve cover leak, and that's relatively cheap and easy to fix.

Realtor1
08-04-03, 05:53 PM
I'm happy to inform you that it's NOT a head gasket.
Oil anywhere on the plugs will NOT be from a head gasket. If the electrodes and insulator are oil soaked, you have a few possibilities;
1. REAL BAD valve seals
2. Leaky intake manifold that can cause oil to leak into the cylinder via the intake valve
3. Some seriously bad piston ring issue (most likely the oil ring)
In most cases, an oil intrsion issue will NOT cause oil soaked plugs but will cause plug fouling and heavy deposits.
4. A dead cylinder caused by lack of compression and/or spark.

If the plugs are wet only on the outer area (threads and lower shell area) then I'd suspect a valve cover leak, and that's relatively cheap and easy to fix.

Kevin,

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! You lifted a heavy burden off my shoulders. The oil is from the threads down, if memory serves me correctly it didnt look like it was on the tip that sparks.

Sorry to sound ignorant (but I am ;) ) if it was the valve cover gasket wouldnt the chamber have oil on the inside walls? I don't recall seeing any. I do hope thats it, it sounds like the easiest and cheapest fix. I dont really know the cost or difficulty of the other possible problems you mentioned.

One other quick question if I may, Does $371.00 PLUS all parts sound normal for the 100,000 service from Cadillac? Seemed high for what they say they do.

Thanks again Kevin (and everyone else who has helped in past posts).

elwesso
08-04-03, 11:35 PM
You can probably do the 100k service yourself...... For a lot less.... What does the 100k service involve?????

Katshot
08-05-03, 08:37 AM
If there's no deposits on the electrodes and tip insulator, the oil is on the outside of the combustion chamber. This points to a valve cover leak. It could be very slight and only allowed enough oil to accumulate to be able to coat the threads when you pulled the plugs.
As for the 100K service price, at roughly $80/labor hour + Parts, it doesn't take long to hit $350 (that's the pre-tax price). As I recall, I've heard stories here about guys getting hit for far more on their 100K service.