: Tires squeal in tight turns

bizzob223
10-12-10, 12:27 PM
Does anyone else have this issue. If I make a tight turn in the parking lot the tires squeal like crazy. Is this just the way the AWD system works on the Cadillac or could there be an issue with my front diff.?

Thanks guys

Bob

MuzicMan
10-12-10, 08:24 PM
From my experience, I have found loud tire squeaks in turns to be from improper tire pressure, worn tires, or sometimes the material that is used to pave a parking lot. There is shopping center by me where everyone's car squeals like crazy when people turn into spots.

Hope that is of some help.

Ghost Deany
10-12-10, 08:53 PM
Yea what is the condition of your tires/ air pressure? I have the OEM 07+ 22's and the tires i had on them when i bought them used were really worn on 3 of the 4 tires, they squealed often when making a sharp turn going slow in parking lots etc. I got 4 new tires installed about a week ago and no more squealing.

bizzob223
10-13-10, 07:55 AM
Yeah I have the stock goodyear eagles. They are getting decently worn and I plan on replacing them next month. My concern was improper or premature wear on the new tires.
Thanks for your help
Bob

nathanjax
10-13-10, 10:34 AM
Mine do it. I was told it's the AWD system. Because when you turn into a parking spot, the AWD system is turning the front tires, (particularly the one in the least circumference part of your turn) a lot more than the rest of your tires...

Hopefully the way I explained that makes sense...

I've had 3 different sets of rims/tires and it does it with all them... It did it before I lowered it and after, before and after alignment as well...

Nathan

Old Guy
10-13-10, 01:33 PM
might get an alignment check before you put new tires on just to make sure all is well so you dont wear them out before their time

zona_boy
10-15-10, 04:37 AM
They are losing traction. Mine are low and starting to do that every time i leave work

JimmydaGreek
11-30-10, 11:04 PM
I don't have an AWD just 2WD and mine do like crazy now, especially after alignment at the stealership not once but twice. The stealership always aligns the font wheels with a very positive camber and claim this is per GM Factory specs. I'm not an engineer by any means but have been modding cars forever. Although it drives nice and straight without issues, my camber is still way to positive for me. Several stealerships agreed that the camber is correct so I've left if this way and the tires are wearing even but even at the slightest turns on some pavements, they squeel like crazy making me sound like a mad man coming around a corner and I'm going like 3 mph, lol...

gmercedesbenz
12-01-10, 12:56 PM
My truck makes the same noises, but it does depend on the material used to pave the lot. I've found that recently paved lots are the worst offenders. Anyway, the sound your hearing is the All Wheel Drive version of "crabbing".

With any vehicle powered by all four wheels, either 4WD or AWD, tight turns such as parking cause the vehicle to in a sense be fighting itself. The rear wheels are gripping and the front wheels are gripping and in tight turns the body of the car does not bend, thus causing the tires to be the "breaking point" for the physical inability for the car to conform with the turn. Think of it this way, if you had a hinge in the middle of your truck, that separated the front and the back, and you took a very tight turn, your truck would bend that hinge, allowing the tires to turn at faster rate.

This is why when the pavement has snow/ice or rain on it, the squealing dissipates, as the water on the pavement acts as a lubricant, allowing the tires to slip just enough to avoid squealing or crabbing.

This is much more prevalent on 4WD vehicles, which is why they place warnings on visors such as "Do not operate on in 4WD HI or 4WD LO on dry, paved roads". On AWD vehicles, the system is designed so that the power ratio between front/rear axles remains such that you do not have to adjust anything for dry/paved roads/parking lots.

I don't have an AWD just 2WD and mine do like crazy now...

This intrigues me, I don't have an answer for this, but your absolutely correct about the GM specs. I have my alignment report that I had done a week ago, that if you like I could post a scanned picture of and you could see if your dealership is using the same numbers as mine. Might be different due to different model years and my truck is AWD, but you never know.

Hope this helps!