: 2011 or 2010 SRX?

Dean5101
10-12-10, 12:57 AM
Does anyone have what's been changed to each SRX trim for the 2011? I was waiting until the 2011's to come out to figure out which one I want to buy.

Here's where I'm at:

Why I would get a 2011 SRX:
More features for lower level trims (supposedly some of the premium features have moved to the luxury)
Judging from all the posts in these forums, the 2010's had a lot of problems and recalls.
The free maintenance package (which isn't really free).

Why I would get a 2010 SRX:
With the 2011's out the 2010 prices should have gone down a few %.
2011s are really expensive!
I don't mind driving a used 2010 SRX if the price is good.

Thanks for your time, help, and opinion!

-Dean

Ponyman
10-12-10, 09:19 AM
Only a few people on this board have had really bad problems with their 2010, The rest just like to gripe about minor items, or couldn't get their problems fixed due to inept or just generally crappy dealerships. If you can get a 2010 for a really good price I would consider it, but if they aren't offering that much of a discount get an 2011. Which ever one you get, give it a thorough test drive over all types of road conditions, and maybe get the dealer let you take it home overnight. I don't know if they will still do this or not, some dealers used to. From the gripes and complaints on this board, the main things to watch out for are the dreaded thumping noise from the front end, and various creaks and squeaks. Fortunately, the ONLY problem with our 2010 has been the chrome strip falling off. Also see if you can find out anything about the dealer's reputation for service.

Willo
10-12-10, 11:32 AM
Ponyman pretty much stated my experience with our 2010. By and large, the SRX is a very well built product. We have taken a coast to coast trip this summer and had absolutely no problems, all systems performed as they should. The only issues were the 4 inch chrome strip falling off and the driver's side pull which opens the hood breaking (plastic). Nothing major, no creaks, rattles or annoying mechanical problems.

As Ponyman stated, if you go back and read the majority of topics on this forum, virtually everybody is satisfied with their 2010. For a new design, it's amazingly well executed.

You should get a good price, but remember, since the 2011 and 2010 look identical and many dealers have limited inventory (plus this is the hottest selling Cadillac), the discount you may expect won't be there. Chalk that up to the fact the car will be holding it's price for the future without the large depreciation most have the minute you drive it off the lot.

(Hint: Look for the build date- if you opt for a 2010- on the inside door sticker...providing it's from April, '10 or later, you're pretty much assured that the earlier production issues have been ironed out)

Smokin' SRX
10-12-10, 02:07 PM
I agree. Just don't forget the A/C problem where it gets warm after 10 mins of run time!! Relatively few persons had the prob, but it's a bummer if you do. Check it out thoroughly. I'd go the 2010 only if you get a savings of $2K over the 2011. Of course you are getting about $ 1K in free maintenance in 2011 so figure that in your pricing too! I would not buy a USED 2010. I suspect that a early turn-in car like this had MAJOR probs. Either OEM or driver caused............ But I suspect everyone :shhh:

Best wishes! We love ours!

SS

PJ1520
10-13-10, 01:20 PM
Smokin'.....or someone looking to get out from under the monthly payments because they lost their job and are looking to get into something less pricey. Some folks may even come to the conclusion that an SRX doesn't float their boat, and these types should be locked up for their own protection and that of others. :D

Smokin' SRX
10-13-10, 11:28 PM
Smokin'.....or someone looking to get out from under the monthly payments because they lost their job and are looking to get into something less pricey. Some folks may even come to the conclusion that an SRX doesn't float their boat, and these types should be locked up for their own protection and that of others. :D

Yup.......If you don't like the SRX, you have problems bigger than a car can satisfy, LOL, IMHO too :rolleyes:

But as for losing the job and wanting out of lease.....guess anything is possible, but I'd still be suspicious and demand a Carfax, obviously. Go New in this price class......or wait for off-lease to save a bundle. I know someone who leaves notes on Jags and M. Benz that are 2 years old asking if he can buy before the lease turn in comes due. Many guys are OVER mileage! Pays a fair price (saving many thousands off new price) and got to ask owner directly if any problems. Not a bad way to go. look around your neighborhood, church, school lot. Only prob is that you have to wait at least 1 year more for the 2 year leases to be up on SRX's......................

SS

PJ1520
10-14-10, 01:17 AM
Good points, Smokin.....even if you can't get the inside track before the car is turned in. The depreciation hit avoided by the second owner is huge, a real eye opener, in the most pleasant sense.

Smokin' SRX
10-14-10, 07:19 PM
looks like the 2010 is holding value pretty good. Ebay Motors has a few dozen going for $4-8k below new MSRP. So by 2012, a 2010 off lease may be only $28-30K. Savings of 10-17K possible. Not bad for a still new style luxo CUV. Some waiters may do OK.

sube5186
10-22-10, 02:42 PM
Why I would get a 2011 SRX:
More features for lower level trims (supposedly some of the premium features have moved to the luxury)
Judging from all the posts in these forums, the 2010's had a lot of problems and recalls.

For the record, the 3.0L 2010 SRX has only one recall.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2010/cadillac/srx/recalls/index.html

Sube

GMJim
10-22-10, 02:50 PM
HEY!!!!!!!! Sube is back!

sube5186
10-22-10, 03:10 PM
HEY!!!!!!!! Sube is back!

Took a little hiatus. Reading about the same problems over and over was detracting from my enjoyment of the car. I got to a point where I was waiting, wondering and watching for things to go wrong. I swear...every time I got out of the car I'd look back to see if my chrome strips had fallen off. :bigroll: Had to take time to actually enjoy driving my Baby. :rolling:

Sube

TheCaptain
10-22-10, 04:00 PM
Yey Sube!

GMJim
10-22-10, 07:32 PM
Boy, do I understand

Believe it or not, it IS a nice vehicle.

GeeVee
10-23-10, 02:34 AM
Welcome back Sube. Your input has been missed!

sube5186
10-23-10, 09:47 AM
Appreciate the sentiment everyone. It feels good to be back. :bouncy:

Sube

GMJim
10-23-10, 06:31 PM
Don't let the neysayers bring you down.

(I need to practice what I preach)

PJ1520
10-26-10, 11:40 AM
There will be slim pickings on the pre-owned 2010s for a while, keeping the prices high.