: What oil do you use?

killer67
10-11-10, 11:13 PM
What weight and brand of oil do you guys use? I was going with royal purple 5W-30? What do you think?

K9Caddy
10-12-10, 03:26 AM
I use Amsoil 0w-30 Signature oil w/ K&N filter.

MrSplenda
10-12-10, 06:49 AM
Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Red Line are marketing band wagon brands. MOTUL has the best Ester based oils on the market. They have a true ester based line of oils in all different weights. Check them out; that is what I will be using on my truck.

K9Caddy
10-12-10, 08:16 AM
Really? Do you have any facts to back up your claims? Interesting...

hcvone
10-12-10, 08:55 AM
I use Amsoil 0w-30 Signature oil with Ea filter, Motul is a good product, it's funny though they claim to be the first to offer a 100% synthetic oil in 1971, but that was a few years after Ammoil/Amsoil was being made. Been to the Amsoil factory and no one spends more in R&D than these people. :)

K9Caddy
10-12-10, 10:38 AM
Ehh... Motul is a French company, enough said!lol

07maralade
10-12-10, 02:04 PM
I just stick with the regular Mobil 1, if porsche and Caddy think its good enough, then it must be good enough.

K9Caddy
10-12-10, 02:23 PM
Actually, GM doesn't think Mobil 1 is good enough anymore... They stopped the fill on the 2011 models.

alpinewhite325i
10-12-10, 03:01 PM
Actually, GM doesn't think Mobil 1 is good enough anymore... They stopped the fill on the 2011 models.

It's called cost cutting.

I use Mobil 5w-30. Love the fact that I can go to Wal Mart and buy big jugs of it.

K9Caddy
10-12-10, 03:14 PM
Yes, that too... I would also guess that Mobil 1 use to fork over some good money, to put that label on the filler cap too.

MrSplenda
10-13-10, 07:19 AM
I use Amsoil 0w-30 Signature oil with Ea filter, Motul is a good product, it's funny though they claim to be the first to offer a 100% synthetic oil in 1971, but that was a few years after Ammoil/Amsoil was being made. Been to the Amsoil factory and no one spends more in R&D than these people. :)

If they spent so much on R&D then their oil would be approved for use with VW/Audi/Porsche (their "European Spec" never went through actual German testing), thus it is not an approved oil for most, if not all current German cars (Germans are very big on which oil can be used in their cars and which ones can't; I know cause I've owned several).

Do a search on Ester based oils. You will find that Amsoil and Royal Purple do not have Ester based oils. Motul is the only company that carries this base. They even carry a double ester which is called 300V. A lot of guys on the CTS-V forum use that stuff. Very high quality and high performing oil.

K9Caddy
10-13-10, 08:10 AM
I do not believe it has anything to do with money spent on R&D to have a "Euro Spec" on oil. Are you telling me all European cars use Motul oil? Does Mobile 1 have this spec, they use it in the Porsche? I'm sure this spec is a way to get more money from oil companies to tell them that their oil is good enough, has nothing to do with the quality of the oil in general. I'm not bashing Motul, I'm sure the oil is good... Well, it better be for the prices I see on it. Especially the 0w-30, almost $15.00 a quart, seriously?

MrSplenda
10-13-10, 01:00 PM
I do not believe it has anything to do with money spent on R&D to have a "Euro Spec" on oil. Are you telling me all European cars use Motul oil? Does Mobile 1 have this spec, they use it in the Porsche? I'm sure this spec is a way to get more money from oil companies to tell them that their oil is good enough, has nothing to do with the quality of the oil in general. I'm not bashing Motul, I'm sure the oil is good... Well, it better be for the prices I see on it. Especially the 0w-30, almost $15.00 a quart, seriously?

Yes, Mobile 1 does carry the spec they use with Porsche/Audi/VW. Not every car uses MOTUL fluids, but they have a rich history in European racing. Maybe their oil(s) would not see the benefits in using them in our trucks vs. a Porsche 911, or Audi S4. I just was trying to point out to everyone that there IS a better oil than Amsoil and Royal Purple. Ester based oils carry an unbreakable molecule. Meaning they are extremely hard to break down.

MrSplenda
10-13-10, 01:04 PM
To give you an idea of the care that German car companies, like VW, put into their approved motor oil list:

http://www.vw.com/myvw/yourcar/maintenance/en/us/images/vw_oil_recommendations.pdf

VS.

GMC's

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/maintenance/gm_approved_engine_oils.pdf

hcvone
10-14-10, 09:41 AM
If they spent so much on R&D then their oil would be approved for use with VW/Audi/Porsche (their "European Spec" never went through actual German testing), thus it is not an approved oil for most, if not all current German cars (Germans are very big on which oil can be used in their cars and which ones can't; I know cause I've owned several).

Do a search on Ester based oils. You will find that Amsoil and Royal Purple do not have Ester based oils. Motul is the only company that carries this base. They even carry a double ester which is called 300V. A lot of guys on the CTS-V forum use that stuff. Very high quality and high performing oil.
Not sure about their German testing, and living in the US I really don't care. I am sure if they needed to use ester base oil in their engine oil they would, because they do offer ester oil in their compressor oils, but with a 35,000 mile warranty on their sig oil why would they need to charge much more for a product that does not offer any better protection. I have a lot of customers using Amsoil in their ZR1's, as I do, and there are plenty of CTS-V people too, because it's made in france does not make it better, I lived in europe for 3 years, it probably makes it worse. ;)

K9Caddy
10-14-10, 10:48 AM
Redline uses an Ester based product in their oil too. I could really careless about my oil being ester based or euro approved.

This guy breaks the land speed record on the salt flats, going 417mph using Redline oil, is this oil good enough?:)

http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=127

Z71
10-26-10, 08:21 PM
I use AMSOIL in all my vehicles (2009 CTS and 2010 Sierra) and have for over 35 yrs. I have never changed my oil more than once per year since 1975. 35 yrs, no reason to use anything else IMO.