: Cadillac Flagship Information (Omega Platform)

Lord Cadillac
10-11-10, 05:21 PM
The current chassis for the Cadillac "flagship" is not Zeta or Sigma - it's Omega. If allowed to continue, it's an entirely new large rear wheel driver design that'll cost around one billion dollars. It's being engineered in China where it's expected to be most successful.

It's being engineered to possibly include all wheel drive, a hybrid model, a diesel model, V6, V8 and V12 engines. The V8 and V12 programs are not set in stone and no advanced V8 or V12 engines are being designed at this time. Even the V8 depends on economic and fuel economy regulations.

If all goes well, which is not likely, you'll see the flagship debut around 2015-2016.

jrosevear
10-14-10, 04:06 PM
There are two reasons why this car is likely to happen, and quickly.

First, this program has Very Senior Management sponsorship and following (read: this is the car Dan Akerson et al want to drive to work every day, and they will be paying close attention to its development, and that tends to ensure that deadlines get hit and best efforts get submitted.) Second, and more importantly to the business case, there's a window of opportunity right now to establish Cadillac as a peer of the big German marques in China, and this car will be essential to that effort.

It may hit the market faster than you expect.

Any V12 would be built on a very small scale (think Wixom or some Chinese equivalent) and be six-figure expensive. But I strongly suspect that this model will have a mass-market V8 available and that it will be a Gen V variant, not a new design. That'll be the car most people buy unless gas prices go nuts again.

I also expect that if the V12 is a success, it'll be followed by a V16 -- no joke. But don't hold your breath -- while I'm sure it has been discussed, it's unlikely to be anything but an idea for several years.

Lord Cadillac
10-16-10, 11:22 PM
The case about China is most compelling. The management at GM changes too quickly to depend on anything, however.

jrosevear
10-18-10, 02:22 PM
I think the management shuffling is over for the time being. Akerson is committed to stay for at least 3-4 years. Liddell, Reuss, etc., aren't going anywhere during that time. The current senior management team is likely to be stable for awhile.

jrosevear
11-04-10, 04:55 PM
Cadillac is unveiling a concept at the LA Auto Show... the night before GM'S IPO is priced, rumor has it, so one would expect it to be something that would look impressive when it's pictured alongside the IPO stories in the WSJ and Bloomberg. Any thoughts on what kind of Cadillac concept might cause an i-banker's eyes to light up?

Link here, but I've heard it elsewhere: http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/11/cadillac-to-show-all-new-concept-model.html

DouglasJRizzo
01-13-11, 07:55 PM
Why China for engineering? Won't this vehicle be produced in the U.S.?

DouglasJRizzo
01-13-11, 08:01 PM
Why China for engineering? Won't this vehicle be produced in the U.S.?

Jesda
01-19-11, 04:06 PM
Late last year, Beijing unveiled strict rules designed to cut new vehicles registrations by 70% in 2011. The cap would limit vehicle growth this year to 240,000, compared to the 800,000 cars that were added in 2010, the report said. See report on Beijing’s auto restrictions.

If this alleviates congestion in Beijing, expect Shanghai to follow. That could throw a wrench in GM's plans.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/china-car-sales-may-skid-on-ownership-curbs-2011-01-19

Jesda
01-19-11, 04:06 PM
Late last year, Beijing unveiled strict rules designed to cut new vehicles registrations by 70% in 2011. The cap would limit vehicle growth this year to 240,000, compared to the 800,000 cars that were added in 2010, the report said. See report on Beijing’s auto restrictions.

If this alleviates congestion in Beijing, expect Shanghai to follow. That could throw a wrench in GM's plans.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/china-car-sales-may-skid-on-ownership-curbs-2011-01-19

0AT E03
02-18-11, 06:38 PM
With the ATS going after the 3er, the 3rd Gen CTS the 5er, this will have to go after the 7er. And from what I've heard (rumors in the halls) it will have to actually compete with the 7er so I'd expect BIG BUCKS to be spent on it because GM as we all know is behind in the "super" luxury space.