: parking brake

iddabit
10-11-10, 01:25 PM
having problem with parking brake not holding after shoe replacement. and the pedal goes all the way to the floor. any ideas what is wrong?

roboteacher
10-11-10, 03:27 PM
I had the same problem. It was right after I got my brakes worked on that I noticed it. The problem was the emergency brake pads and the adjustment were both bad. The emergency brake on these trucks is about as useful as boobs on a dude, so don't plan on it holding much anyhow.

CaddyEscalade
10-12-10, 11:47 AM
The shoes will need to be adjusted. The emergency brake uses brake shoes on the inside of the rear rotors.

sk7
10-12-10, 08:05 PM
If you search you can find info on how to properly adjust the shoes thanxs to user Ewill. I got lucky and adjusted mine via the cables which is not correct. Pedal still goes to the floor but it holds pretty good.

CEPMAN
10-14-10, 09:17 PM
The pedal goes to the floor because the braking system is hydraulic assisted. It's supposed to go to the floor. There aren't any brake shoes on our trucks - disc brakes all the way around. The way to test if your e-brake is functioning properly is to put your vehicle in drive, and then put the e-brake on. If the vehicle moves, then you need it fixed. If it doesn't move, then you should be good.

sk7
10-14-10, 10:06 PM
The parking brake is all mecanical. It activates horseshoe like pads inside a drum that is located behind the rear discs. I had to replace mine cuz the liner on the shoe came off the metal part (on both sides!), no more parking brake! I didnt pay too much attention to the adjustement when I reassembled, thinking I could get away with tightening the cable. Like I said before it works and holds the truck and boat up ramps. Its just weird that the pedal goes to the floor like its not working.

ewill3rd
10-16-10, 09:39 AM
Actually the park brake lever is all mechanical. It is very easy to press due to the design of the lever. Carmakers were required by law for decades to have a mechanical backup brake, ever since they went to hydraulic braking systems.
Now we have electric parking brakes on some cars.

The rear park brake as discussed elsewhere is a "drum in hat" design which uses a single arced shoe that is almost a complete circle with an actuator in it. When you press the lever the shoe is expanded by the actuator and holds the drum inside the rear brake rotor hat.
Lots of things can cause them not to work, including worn or damaged shoes, missing brake material, loose cables, bad levers and even just heavy corrosion inside the drum.
They have had problems with this design since it was implemented in various ways. The new shoe kits come with updated retaining springs that hold the shoes in place better but they are still problematic.

If you replace the shoes the actuator needs to be adjusted to the proper clearance between the shoe and the drum or it won't work properly.
It is tricky and I hate doing them.

CEPMAN
10-16-10, 10:36 PM
I'm pretty sure his 04 EXT doesn't have shoes in the rear. They have discs all the way around

ewill3rd
10-18-10, 09:40 AM
The 2004 does have disc brakes all the way around, but the center part of the brake rotor is actually a drum.
The drum brake only acts as a parking brake.
Older designs used a mechanically actuated component inside the brake caliper but they were expensive and complicated to work on.
The drum in hat design is on most everything Cadillac makes right now. Yes it has 4 wheel disc brakes but it also has a drum brake inside the rear brake rotor.