: Oil Dripping from '89 d'Elegance

89 D'elegance
09-15-04, 12:22 PM
:banghead: Car been sitting in driveway for a week or so now, went out to start it up and was dripping oil when I started it then it stopped, prior to be buying this car, oil had been changed and it never leaked oil, Any suggestions? I am thinking to much oil had been put it there and maybe settled and just came out. I hope that is all that happened.

DopeStar 156
09-15-04, 01:22 PM
Me too. I had about $611 worth of oil leaks fixed not too long ago.

89 D'elegance
09-15-04, 01:53 PM
was not leaking when I bought it, dont think its anything major mabe just excess oil or something.

AElayyat
09-15-04, 02:23 PM
was not leaking when I bought it, dont think its anything major mabe just excess oil or something.

If it was too much oil in the engine then that will have blown a gasket which is causing you oil leak. Depending on you mechanical skills you could change valve cover gaskets (if that is where the leak is comming from) as well as the oil pan gasket yourself to save on $$$. Another place could be the rear main seal and timming chain cover these are a bit more difficult to replace though.

I'm not sure if this applies to your car but on my 4.1 and 4.5 I have to use the washer that goes between the drain plug and oil pan, you can get these from cadillac for $1 or less. I'm not that familiar with the 5.0, you may want to ask around in the 5.0/5.7 section they could maybe help you out more than me.

brougham
09-15-04, 07:39 PM
The only way to find out where it's leaking is to look for it yourself or bring it to a shop to get it looked at. It could be coming from anywhere.

7.0,hellyeah
09-16-04, 03:07 AM
Theres one way to narrow down the location and cause of the oil problem. First of all where is the oil? On the pan? then it could be anywhere. Stick your finger in it. if its mostly sludge than it means that its been there for a while, or that it ran down from somewhere high and collected dirt on its way down. Chech around the valve covers. If there is wet oil then replace the gaskets(for mine it was a 7/16'' wrench and patience to pull the covers out from under all those damn vaccuum tubes) Its really not that difficult. It takes patience to get the gaskets right though. Basically if changing that doesnt work, try the oil pan gasket. Replace any filter that has to do with oil, and if you remove anything with a gasket, you have to replace the gasket. Try, Try again.