: Newbie here with a couple of questions

Riverdance
10-10-10, 09:52 PM
Hi guys...Just purchased a 2005 Escolade EXT Diamond White with 51,000 miles for 21,000...I love it!!!! I have a couple of questions...i did a search for answers but now i am more confused.....

I want to change all fluids in the truck, oil, front and rear differentials,transmission fluid, and flush engine and replace anti-freeze...I want to start fresh...So what brands have you all used in your ext and how much?

I also want to install a backup camera...Which one is good?

I also want to install automatic start...Please advise which one worked well for u

Thanks for your help and I hope to be a contributer to the board in the future

Gale Hawkins
10-10-10, 11:35 PM
Riverdance you got a truck that should last a long time at a fraction of the cost of a 2011.

See if you can check with the servicing dealer for a history. I did that for our base 2003 purchased last week. One thing I learned for example was 15K miles ago they installed a new water pump and belts. That means I am good on antifreeze for the next 85K miles/4 years. I also learned they replaced the transmission valve body 60K miles ago so this weekend we did the bucket flush as covered in the sticky threads you see when you log in to this forum. I did it as the write up for the most part and it was a low brainer that got the kids involved in learning skills. I did put a can of Sea Foam in the transmission and ran it for 200 miles over the three days prior to the bucket flush.

Wal-Mart, etc will carry most any fluids you may need.

Go to E-Bay and get your four set GM factory shop manuals. It has all of the specs/volumes if not in your owners manual.

Nice truck.

CAD-E!
10-11-10, 03:33 AM
for engine oil i use Mobil1 0-30 (green cap) w/ a Mobil1 oil filter

front and rear diff= Mobil1 75-90

transfer case= i ONLY use the GM auto trak 2 (blue stuff)

sk7
10-11-10, 09:56 AM
Make sure you add two-way security to ur remote start install. Its only a few bucks more and not much more trouble to install. Our trucks tend to dissapear quickly if left unattended with only OEM alarm on... I've installed many brands over the year (DirektStart, Autostart, DEI, Autopage). All are good. Go with a data module hooked up to the DLC. Makes it a lot easier. Welcome!

Riverdance
10-11-10, 10:44 AM
Thanks Gale and Cad-E...This is what I can gather so far as far as changing out the fluids...
(1)Engine oil---Mobil1 5W-30 (as per owners manual) + filter...Capacity 6 Quarts
(2) Engine Coolant ...2 gallons DexCool + 2 gallons drinkable water(as per owners manual....Capacity 16 Quarts
(3) Front Differential...Mobil 1 75-90 Gear lube....Capacity ?
(4) Rear Differential... Mobil 1 75-90 Gear Lube....Capacity ?
(5) Transmission Fluid...Manual says Dexron III.Look for the "H" specification on the label...They don't make this anymore...Cad-E says GM auto trac 2 (Blue Stuff)from the dealer... Am I correct? Can u guys fill in the blanks for me...Thanks

PS... My buddy has a mechanic shop and is letting me use his lift to change the fluids

Backup camera? any recommendations?

Remote start? Any recommendations?

sk7
10-11-10, 11:35 AM
Z71 posted info on oil capacity and stuff in the sticky thread on front diff and TC howto. Bottom of page 5.

Gale Hawkins
10-11-10, 12:02 PM
I went back with Dexron VI since the old Dexron III specs is just $1.10 less a quart at Wal-Mart. The Super Tech Dexron VI is $3.77 a quart locally.

Even on a hot day I do not see transmission temps over 160 degrees and Dexron III is good for 100K miles if the temps do not cross 175 degrees. Dex VI just gives a little more should you be towing, etc.

With the bucket flush sticky being a snap to do I plan to do it every 30K miles anyway. Even with a gallon "push" that is still only about $30 a year in our case to keep pink stuff (not dark brown) ATF in our Escalade. :)