: just got "vehicle speed sensor" code

83coupedeville
10-10-10, 05:32 PM
i swear i have the worst luck with cadillacs..... was driving today and noticed the check engine light come on and the tranny started to shift kinda funny. stopped and shut it off for a couple minutes when i started driving again it had no power when you step on the gas above 20mph. ran the codes and all that came up was the number 24 which when i looked it up said... 24 (E24) Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Failure

csbuckn
10-10-10, 07:40 PM
Now that its barely driving, you'll have to take the dash apart. But you can unscrew the cable at the tranny before you take apart the inside.

83coupedeville
10-10-10, 08:15 PM
my speedo stopped working about 5 days ago would that have anything to do with this problem?

sven914
10-10-10, 08:45 PM
If the speedometer head is rounded off, the VSS won't produce a signal.

Robin Banx
10-11-10, 09:24 PM
Wait a sec......... before you panic, try clearing trouble codes. In my '81, I often get code 30 (ICM circuit)followed by crappy running which I clear from the diagnostic mode (entered by pressing "off + warmer in the 81 car) in the Climate Control "off + hi" pressed at the same time and then any button to exit diagnostics. It may be just an anomoly and when cleared, you may not have any further trouble. Hope this helps.

Cheers........R.

sven914
10-12-10, 12:10 AM
^Clearing codes shouldn't make the engine run better. The ECM only alters the drivability when the circumstances that set the code are present, not when the code is stored in memory.

83coupedeville
10-13-10, 02:52 AM
anyone know where the speed sensor is located? i looked on rockauto and advance auto parts website and cant find it anywhere. does the part have another name?

sven914
10-13-10, 11:42 AM
It's on the back of the speedometer housing. When you get it, get the part number off it and search AC DELCO's part catalog (http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php) and rockauto with the number. I can't find it either, but that's because the internet keep thinking I mean the '93 de Ville's ABS sensor while ignoring the fact Cadillac ever made a rear wheel drive anything (you ever just want to find the source of the internet and beat it to death with a sledge hammer?)

83coupedeville
10-14-10, 10:52 AM
dropped off the caddy at the shop last night and they say its throwing the code cause the speedo cable snapped off inside the cluster. they cant get the piece out and told me i gotta order a new cable and cluster. greeeaaatttt just my luck. anyone know where i can get a cluster?

83coupedeville
10-19-10, 12:31 AM
well i picked up a speedo cluster and new cable the other day. had the speedo cable installed by a shop but when i got home the end is a hair too small to fit all the way onto the connector. installed the speedo cluster anyway and check engine light went away and trans was shifting great for about 40 miles. awesome i was feeling good i didnt mind not having a working speedo i just wanted it to shift right. so im cruising at about 40mph i get the check engine light again and shifting thru all the gears. does the speed sensor keep failing because my speedo isnt connected?

83coupedeville
10-20-10, 11:17 PM
bummmppppp :banghead:

sven914
10-20-10, 11:58 PM
It could be... If the speed sensor isn't getting a signal because the speedometer head isn't spinning, the computer is going to get confused and set a code. I doubt the actual VSS is failing, but apparently it's a little more integrated than the one I have, so I'm not positive.

csbuckn
10-21-10, 11:46 AM
Maybe have the shop try to reroute the speedo cable so it reaches a little further. Your gonna have to get that cable in there somehow. Or is the cable not the right one?

83coupedeville
10-21-10, 06:14 PM
i think its the wrong cable. i got it from advance autoparts and when i looked on the website the cable fit like 20 other GM cars. theres no problem with the slack the end of it just a little too tight to fit all the way on. i tried greasing it up and it still only goes halfway onto the speedo cluster

csbuckn
10-21-10, 06:59 PM
looks like a trip back to the store/shop is in order.

RippyPartsDept
10-21-10, 07:26 PM
the correct cable is GM#3636399
and should look like this
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9453/3636399.jpg

there is another cable that is sold w/o the casing and is much much cheaper #88960343

the cable should be 145.25 inches long

also, the GM parts catalog shows that this cable only fits '83 C-body Devilles, and '83-'90 D-body Fleetwoods

83coupedeville
10-21-10, 07:50 PM
nice thanks for the info guess i gotta take it all back apart again lol im stupid i was gonna test the cable on the speedo before i brought it in but forgot. so you think this would solve the vss problem? also is anyone exactly sure the vehicle speed sensor is on the back of the speedo? iv been reading a couple random articles and everyone says something different. and would driving the car like this mess it up? i just got a job 40 min each way and have no other choice but to drive it. i just take it real slow and take it outta overdrive to get up to speed. thanks again for all the info

RippyPartsDept
10-21-10, 08:04 PM
not really sure, but I wouldn't think that driving like this would mess the car up

good luck

csbuckn
10-21-10, 08:28 PM
Well the cable goes from the tranny to the dash. So its either the piece at the tranny or the piece at the dash.