: Looking for '06 DTS...Couple of Questions

bluescat
10-10-10, 01:33 PM
Loved my'04 DHS. Last Saturday a 20 year old girl had an important text, so naturally she didn't see me stopped at a light and rear ended me at about 40mph. The DHS did its job and kept us safe.

I'm thinking of moving into an '06 DTS, but I don't know a lot about the car. Anything I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks!

HartfordGuy
10-10-10, 06:58 PM
If you loved your 04 Deville DHS, you will really love the 2006 + up DTS. I'd look for a 2007 model year as those seem to have a few of the bugs worked out that you usually get on a first year model. Although you will find the best prices on the 2006s, albeit with higher mileage on them.

The Northstar engines has been very trouble free on the 2006 + up models. None of the problems the early 2000s had.

Many Cadillac owners like the dashboard design better on the 2006 + up DTSs compared to the previous generation too.

When shopping you will find that most years come in four trim levels. Base, Lux one, Lux two and performance. Lux two and performance come loaded much like what was the DHS model on the previous generation.

If you are shopping for a brand new DTS expect to find fewer color choices. But the used ones come in a nice selection of colors. Depending on the year and model even the wood trim can be different. So be sure to look at alot of different years and trim levels to see which ones you like. The DHS wasthe top of the line then. The top of the line model now is the Platinum Edition.

If you have any specific questions or concerns please ask. The guys on this board are real friendly and helpful.

c5 rv
10-10-10, 09:27 PM
It seems the most frequent complaint about the 06+ DTS that I've heard from previous DeVille owners is the de-contenting of features that used to be present in the earlier generation cars. Overall, though, DTS owners seem to be a contented bunch, aside from the impending demise of the car.

ken615
10-10-10, 09:49 PM
My 06 DTS LUX III, which I bought in March of this year with 29K miles has performed flawlessly...now has a little over 36K miles. Several long-range trips from Virginia to SC over the last 2 months and it's a joy to drive. Mine is loaded to the gills...adaptive cruise control (my favorite feature), navigation (after a refresh from Onstar now works extremely well), sunroof, rear window shade plus all the LUX III goodies. I'm sure you will enjoy one. Clean record and doesn't even have rock dings...amazing since the original owner lived in West Virginia...home of rocks on the road during winter. They must have left it in the garage during bad weather.

Unfortunately, I may have to sell mine due to a family illness (my wife has Alzheimers and can no longer drive, and I don't need 2 cars.) Depending on where you live, you can check it out. I'm in Leesburg, Va. If you're interested, contact me. I don't know if I can post my email, but we'll try if we need to.

At any rate, don't be afraid of the 06 and beyond DTSs. They're great cars. Good luck in your search.

Ken.

bluescat
10-10-10, 10:26 PM
@Ken--CYPM

Thanks for all the responses.

EIGHT2BIARRITZ
10-12-10, 01:15 AM
I thuoght adaptive cruse was a nhp option only not lux iii

Kenwood
10-12-10, 12:09 PM
I thuoght adaptive cruse was a nhp option only not lux iii

Nope. I have Adaptive Cruise on my 2009 (non-performance) Platinum.

HartfordGuy
10-12-10, 02:04 PM
It is listed as a "stand alone" option in the 2007 DTS catalog on all except the base model.

Jesda
10-13-10, 01:11 AM
Its true, some of the special high-tech features that made the Deville interesting are gone, but you still get things like park sensors, adaptive cruise, and other nice bits. The whole car is built to a much higher standard. The DTS has been praised for initial quality.

Mark58
10-13-10, 10:06 AM
Nope. I have Adaptive Cruise on my 2009 (non-performance) Platinum.

OK a dumb question,,just what is Adaptive Cruise? I have a 07 performance. Do I have it?
I have a 1/2 heated steering wheel and 1/5 rear defroster. LOL

HartfordGuy
10-13-10, 04:42 PM
Adaptive cruise lets you set the minimum distance between you and the car in front of you. So if the guy in front of you drops to a slower speed than you have your cruise control set for, your car automatically slows to match that speed and the distance you selected. If you elect to move over to another lane your car will see that he is no longer in front of you and speed back up to your originally set speed. If you have this option there are two little + & - buttons on the left side of the regular cruise buttons, kind of to the back.

WolfDTS
10-13-10, 04:54 PM
I have an '06 DTS. My mechanic spotted oil on lower engine and kept digging to find it did have a slight leak. He checked into it and sure enough he found a TSB on this problem. I told the Cadillac service rep and he was so sure my engine was not included in this TSB. I had them take it in for a look themselves. Well, it turns out I do have the problem as stated in the TSB. So, not all '06's are without this problem. Fortunately for me I have 2 more months left on the bumper-bumper warranty, so it's all covered. This is a big job as the engine has to come out to replace the lower oil distribution pan seal. I'm extending my warranty, needless to say! I have the Lux 1 and love it. Good luck!

BlackDeVille
10-13-10, 08:18 PM
How did Onstar refresh your navigation system? I thought everything was on the disc.

Superjim
10-13-10, 10:14 PM
How did Onstar refresh your navigation system? I thought everything was on the disc.

I was wondering the same thing...

ken615
10-14-10, 09:52 PM
The disk what the navigation system uses really provides all the data for maps and various displays. The internal GPS unit that the system uses to accurately locate your car as it's moving includes the firmware codes that the navigation system uses to properly read the disk and interpret the map data. An overly simplistic view of the world, maybe, but then my son is the firmware engineer, not me.
When I first bought this car, I felt that the navigation system wasn't very accurate (the system would tell me that I had reached my destination a couple hundred yards before I got there.) After many discussions with the Cadillac navigation customer support section and trying all the usual fixes, including installing the latest disk, they suggested that maybe my firmware didn't have the latest iteration of the code. I called Onstar, they downloaded the latest version while I was driving down the road, and it improved the accuracy to the point where the system now works perfectly and doesn't tell me that I'm home until I start driving into my driveway.
It's a free service from Onstar, just like diagnosing your car's major systems, and fixed my problem. Maybe yours, if you have one. By the way, neither Cadillac dealer that I use had a clue how to solve the problem. Kudos to Onstar and the customer support section that deals with navigation system problems. Ken.

Superjim
10-15-10, 09:46 AM
The disk what the navigation system uses really provides all the data for maps and various displays. The internal GPS unit that the system uses to accurately locate your car as it's moving includes the firmware codes that the navigation system uses to properly read the disk and interpret the map data. An overly simplistic view of the world, maybe, but then my son is the firmware engineer, not me.
When I first bought this car, I felt that the navigation system wasn't very accurate (the system would tell me that I had reached my destination a couple hundred yards before I got there.) After many discussions with the Cadillac navigation customer support section and trying all the usual fixes, including installing the latest disk, they suggested that maybe my firmware didn't have the latest iteration of the code. I called Onstar, they downloaded the latest version while I was driving down the road, and it improved the accuracy to the point where the system now works perfectly and doesn't tell me that I'm home until I start driving into my driveway.
It's a free service from Onstar, just like diagnosing your car's major systems, and fixed my problem. Maybe yours, if you have one. By the way, neither Cadillac dealer that I use had a clue how to solve the problem. Kudos to Onstar and the customer support section that deals with navigation system problems. Ken.

Ken,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
Mine is "PRETTY GOOD"...but it could be better..:D

I will give OnStar a call...see what they can do about it.

Thanks again,
Texas Jim