: How to remove the axels out of the rear differential 2005 EXT?

cburand
10-10-10, 12:14 PM
I searched the forums and did not find an answer to my question. I was doing the rear e-brake pads on my 2005 EXT, when I noticed the axel seal was starting to leak. So after doing some on line research (and I pulled a 12 bolt apart years ago), I pulled the Diff cover so I could release the C clips and pull the axel shafts out. Unfortunately the one I had done before (I think) and the ones on line in other GM forums had a pinch/lock bolt. This one does not. How do I get the middle pin out to allow for the axels to be pushed in and the C clips to come off?

Below is the link to pictures of the diff, brakes, and axel.

http://www1.snapfish.com/comcast/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3110412017/a=9934221_9934221/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=comcast/

sk7
10-10-10, 12:28 PM
The G80 limited slip rear diff also has a lock pin like a regular open diff. Its just a little harder to find space to get the clips out to release the axle. Unless the axles for previously removed and someone overtorqued the pin and it broke. That's a b****h!!! Ask me how I know... I've always replaced that pin with a new one. Not the kind of thing u want flyin off. Are your backing plates still good? Might want to consider replacing em while you are in the area. Mines are shot (rusted off). Waiting for the seals to leak before replacing it all.

cburand
10-10-10, 11:53 PM
After bracing the front of the truck I put it in neutral and rotated the gears so I could see the bolt. Getting the pinch bolt out was easy. The C clips were a pain, had to use a small pry bar to get the axel to move in enough for them to drop. The magnet was great to pull them out. The axels were firm to pull out, had to pry them out as well. Replaced the seals and e-brakes and all back together. Here is the updated pics (brakes, diff, e-brakes, seals).
http://www1.snapfish.com/comcast/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3110412017/a=9934221_9934221/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=comcast/